Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-04-2021, 04:46 AM   #41
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
He was hired in May, 2019 and started coaching the regular season in October 2019. So this is his 2nd season as coach.

Yes Dino we know what happened in the play in round. But it doesn’t take away that with 11 games left last year when covid shut down the league they were 4th in points in the conference and 5th in points percentage in the conference under Tippett. I think that’s what he was referring to. Also, 68-42-11 record in his 2 seasons as coach.

Teams like Colorado and Vegas are at the top of what normally would be the Western Conference, but Edmonton has improved under Tippett.
Still got beat by the 12th place rebuilding Blackhawks.

Still will get pounded by whichever team lines you up this time.

4 lottos in 6 years, no team has had everything go their way like you guys did, ever. They made a rule to prevent the Oilers happening again. McDavid can put up 3 points per game, and you're still mediocre play-in fodder at the end of the day.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:23 AM   #42
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final scores
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/news/NHL-R...ate=05-03-2021
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/scores/2021-05-03
Old 05-04-2021, 06:31 AM   #43
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Pretty pathetic playoff races with no real drama this year. The East is completely clinched. One more win for Nashville and they'll be in. North is pretty much set as Winnipeg likely can't choke this away, and St. Louis pretty much can't be caught. Some jockeying at the top of the Divisions as two of them have really defined splits from 3 to 4. The Jets are so scared of the Oilers they pretty much stepped aside to ole the Habs into third.
I understand the lack of excitement in the standings, but, this is what can happen with intra division play. The 3 american divisions have tight races for 1st place. Heck, the East division is a 4 horse race separated by 4 points.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #44
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
Jets in a free fall. Oh, what could have been Flames...

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #45
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
I believe it’s something like McDavid 7, Draisaitl 5.

Last year it worked against Draisaitl because he was on the ice for something around 9 empty net goals against and finished -7. This year he leads the entire league in plus minus at +32.
I'm sure the Oilers and the Leafs were the Canadian teams lobbying the league to keep the Canadian division together past this year. Unfortunately for many, this is an anomaly year. I cant even describe how bad the division is, Mathews and Connor are just feasting, on a pace well above anything close to their career high. It'll be nice when things go back to normal.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #46
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I'm sure the Oilers and the Leafs were the Canadian teams lobbying the league to keep the Canadian division together past this year. Unfortunately for many, this is an anomaly year. I cant even describe how bad the division is, Mathews and Connor are just feasting, on a pace well above anything close to their career high. It'll be nice when things go back to normal.
Oilers I would think want to go back to pacific division.

Vegas 74 .725 p%
Oilers 64 .640
——————
Arizona 50 .472
Calgary 47 .470
Kings 46 .460
Sharks 46 .442
Vancouver 41 .446
Ducks 39 .368
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:49 AM   #47
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Oilers I would think want to go back to pacific division.

Vegas 74 .725 p%
Oilers 64 .640
——————
Arizona 50 .472
Calgary 47 .470
Kings 46 .460
Sharks 46 .442
Vancouver 41 .446
Ducks 39 .368
Pretty irrelevant list of numbers when you are taking stats from a year that some of those teams don't even play each other but thanks for your input. Last year their win percentage was 6% worse. Both Connor and Mathews are scoring at a rate that they've never even been close too, because the division is that bad. We will see next year when Mcdavid has to play every team if he keeps up a pace of 1.82 pts a game, which equates to a 150 pt season.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #48
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty irrelevant list of numbers when you are taking stats from a year that some of those teams don't even play each other but thanks for your input. Last year their win percentage was 6% worse. Both Connor and Mathews are scoring at a rate that they've never even been close too, because the division is that bad. We will see next year when Mcdavid has to play every team if he keeps up a pace of 1.82 pts a game, which equates to a 150 pt season.
Well you were saying that you think the Oilers would be lobbying to keep the north for next year. Choosing to ignore that if they did keep the north division they would still (hopefully) have to play every team. It’s not as if they keep the North division going forward after covid that they don’t play other teams.

My point was that it would seem the pacific is weaker then the north so it’s probably not a big deal to the oilers which one they are in.

Last edited by stang; 05-05-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #49
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well you were saying that you think the Oilers would be lobbying to keep the north for next year. Choosing to ignore that if they did keep the north division they would still (hopefully) have to play every team. It’s not as if they keep the North division going forward after covid that they don’t play other teams.

My point was that it would seem the pacific is weaker then the north so it’s probably not a big deal to the oilers which one they are in.
It would seem that you like to just take numbers and put them in columns. This is not valid way to compare the Pacific and North divisions. If you played Vegas and Colorado ten times each this year, do you think the Oilers point percentage would be higher or lower?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #50
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
It would seem that you like to just take numbers and put them in columns. This is not valid way to compare the Pacific and North divisions. If you played Vegas and Colorado ten times each this year, do you think the Oilers point percentage would be higher or lower?
Who knows. Not you. I’m using the numbers we have.

You’re saying that you think the North is weaker then the Pacific? I’d suggest that if it was 56 games just in the pacific the flames would be in the playoffs.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #51
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Who knows. Not you. I’m using the numbers we have.

You’re saying that you think the North is weaker then the Pacific? I’d suggest that if it was 56 games just in the pacific the flames would be in the playoffs.
Missing the point completely. It makes 0 sense to take the pt % from every team this year who would normally play in the pacific division and use it as a case to justify your argument. Nobody is saying the Oilers wouldn't make the playoffs in a normal Pacific, but they are benefitting big time in this current format.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #52
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Missing the point completely. It makes 0 sense to take the pt % from every team this year who would normally play in the pacific division and use it as a case to justify your argument. Nobody is saying the Oilers wouldn't make the playoffs in a normal Pacific, but they are benefitting big time in this current format.
And I never said they weren’t benefiting,

I was arguing that the oilers probably aren’t worried about being in the North or pacific next year. Next year when the league opens up is there that much of difference with 5 games against the sens or 5 games against the Ducks? Either way you’re going to be playing Washington Tampa etc. I’d argue that 5 games against the coyotes in the pacific would be easier then 5 games against Habs.

You’re missing the point or getting too hung up on the numbers.

You said the Oilers and Toronto were probably lobbying to get the north to stay.

My point was that once the league opens up and we play all teams again the pacific is probably weaker then the North, so the Oilers probably don’t care.

Toronto’s division is tougher then the North, so yes they might like to try and keep the North.

Simple as that.

Last edited by stang; 05-05-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #53
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
And I never said they weren’t benefiting,

I was arguing that the oilers probably aren’t worried about being in the North or pacific next year. Next year when the league opens up is there that much of difference with 5 games against the sens or 5 games against the Ducks? Either way you’re going to be playing Washington Tampa etc. I’d argue that 5 games against the coyotes in the pacific would be easier then 5 games against Habs.

You’re missing the point or getting too hung up on the numbers.

You said the Oilers and Toronto were probably lobbying to get the north to stay.

My point was that once the league opens up and we play all teams again the pacific is probably weaker then the North, so the Oilers probably don’t care.

Toronto’s division is tougher then the North, so yes they might like to try and keep the North.

Simple as that.
Thats a great argument, "they probably don't care". I would argue just based on team and individual success they probably do care. Does that mean they are going to whine about the normal division they play in? No, but that wasn't my point. The team and individuals are playing at a level they've never come close to, i'm sure they have a preference. Oiler fans are sensitive at any insinuation that they are benefitting from this years format.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #54
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Thats a great argument, "they probably don't care". I would argue just based on team and individual success they probably do care. Does that mean they are going to whine about the normal division they play in? No, but that wasn't my point. The team and individuals are playing at a level they've never come close to, i'm sure they have a preference. Oiler fans are sensitive at any insinuation that they are benefitting from this years format.
Lmao. How are you missing this point.

You said “I’m sure the oilers are lobbying to keep the north”
My reply “I’m sure it’s not a huge deal to them”

Both are opinions, neither can be proven either way.

Never have I said they aren’t benefiting from playing the same 6 teams.

Answer me this:
if they played the ducks 10 times this year instead of the Sens do you think it would it be that much different?

Next year if they open up the schedule to normal where you’re playing everyone 2x at least and your division rivals 4x, is there much of a difference between the North and Pacific?
Old 05-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #55
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lmao. How are you missing this point.

You said “I’m sure the oilers are lobbying to keep the north”
My reply “I’m sure it’s not a huge deal to them”

Both are opinions, neither can be proven either way.

Never have I said they aren’t benefiting from playing the same 6 teams.

Answer me this:
if they played the ducks 10 times this year instead of the Sens do you think it would it be that much different?

Next year if they open up the schedule to normal where you’re playing everyone 2x at least and your division rivals 4x, is there much of a difference between the North and Pacific?
Its really ok. I know the heightened sensitivity around suggesting the Oilers are one of the big benefactors in the league around the new setup. I have a few friends who are Oiler fans and half my family, they cry and get super defensive every time at the insinuation.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #56
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe, some teams just have another team's number even if it's only for a season. This year Ottawa was that team to Calgary.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #57
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Its really ok. I know the heightened sensitivity around suggesting the Oilers are one of the big benefactors in the league around the new setup. I have a few friends who are Oiler fans and half my family, they cry and get super defensive every time at the insinuation.
So ignore my questions, ignore my point and stop actually talking about the discussion on hand. Then try and take a shot at me even though I’m agreeing.

Quality post here.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #58
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So ignore my questions, ignore my point and stop actually talking about the discussion on hand. Then try and take a shot at me even though I’m agreeing.

Quality post here.
I'm not ignoring anything. I've stated what I think about the North division and I've provided data that indicates the increased level of production from a individual and team perspective for both the Oilers and McDavid (well above anything they've come close to in the past). Same can be said about Mathews and his goals per game. I think its pretty obvious what I think about the North compared to the Pacific. I'm surprised you needed to ask.