Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In his opening statement, defense counsel stated that his client did exactly what his training told him to do.

Its a long leap in my mind, but will be interesting to see how he tackles that whole aspect.

I expect that the defense already has someone that will testify to that extent or he wouldn't have bought it up in the opener.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, after a Google search, it looks like the move is banned by many police forces because it is dangerous, but not in Minnesota. Minnesota training does acknowledge that it is dangerous that it should only be used while someone is resisting. After that, they need to be put into the recovery position. Something Chauvin never did, so he can't really say he was following his training either. He was following what he wanted to follow.

Officer Lane did in fact suggest to Chavin that they turn him over, and Chauvin refused.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/the-mov...-why-1.4960025

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/the-mov...-why-1.4960025
Old 03-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you allowed to convict of a lesser charge in Minnesota?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #24
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Chauvin going to be testifying?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #25
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Isn’t it just going to be the fact that Floyd was telling the officers he couldn’t breath before anyone got on his neck? And the one autopsy that said asphyxiation was not the cause of death but rather heart failure?

The other autopsy commissioned by his family was quite clear that he was strangled to death by the officer but the discrepancy between the two could lead to doubts.
I don't know much but apparently the police department sent a supervisor to the scene based on the public phone calls concerned about what they were seeing...
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #26
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Breonna Taylor's murderers are free. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chauvin walk too. Followed by more protests and riots. And rinse and repeat.
Lumping these cases all in together is the problem. The Taylor case had a ton of grey area, and they did shoot first.

The Floyd case its more a matter of what degree of murder/manslaughter was committed by the police. I feel like the pressure to aim high with charges to placate the mob is what leads to to over charging, and guilty party getting off(and then that mob rioting)
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #27
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either way this ends poorly.

I suspect between the medical issues, drug levels in his body, force training/techniques in place in Minn. and a few other factors there is likely enough that the majority of the charges wont stick.

Sadly for everyone involved, this case has been made out to be about so much more than just this one officer. Its been billed as a referendum on the justice system in the states (which it shouldn't be, justice needs to be free from that sort of bias/persuasion). Everyone is going to lose at the end of the day. Riots are going to be all but guaranteed.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I agree Ducay, no matter what happens this is going to get ugly in the end. The political pressure on this trial is enormous, and all of America is watching. The beyond reasonable doubt thing is massive. I also doubt that Chauvin is going anywhere near the stand, there's no benefit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #29
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Who is going to riot if Chauvin is found guilty?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #30
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
All the oppressed and marginalized white people? Joking but not joking
Old 03-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #31
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If found guilty there won't be riots but the police will "stand down" and claim they aren't able to do their jobs effectively because of said guilty ruling
Old 03-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt there would be rioting, but there may be further police pull-back from high-crime neighbourhoods, which has likely played a part in the dramatic increases in violent crime in American cities in the last 12 months. Violent crime has increased 66 per cent since the police wound down their presence in the area of Minneapolis where Floyd was killed to avoid inflaming tensions.

https://www.startribune.com/near-geo...ght/600034699/
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #33
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In his opening statement, defense counsel stated that his client did exactly what his training told him to do.

Its a long leap in my mind, but will be interesting to see how he tackles that whole aspect.
I wonder if Dave Grossman, the self-proclaimed expert in "killology"—a discipline of his own invention—will make an appearance for the defence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #34
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is plenty to worry about the entire trial, but I'm also concerned (to this point) about what happens if he's not found "guilty enough" for the public. If instead of his current charges, say...he ends up only being found guilty of something like...a single charge of manslaughter, and gets the minimum sentence for that. Do you think the public will be happy and feel justice is served? With the public and political pressure on this trial, will any verdict beyond "Lock him up forever and throw away the key" be accepted by the public? There are such huge stakes in getting this trial right.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
There is plenty to worry about the entire trial, but I'm also concerned (to this point) about what happens if he's not found "guilty enough" for the public. If instead of his current charges, say...he ends up only being found guilty of something like...a single charge of manslaughter, and gets the minimum sentence for that. Do you think the public will be happy and feel justice is served? With the public and political pressure on this trial, will any verdict beyond "Lock him up forever and throw away the key" be accepted by the public? There are such huge stakes in getting this trial right.
I think you can be assured that anything short of conviction of murder will result in some form of heavy protesting.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #36
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I wonder if Dave Grossman, the self-proclaimed expert in "killology"—a discipline of his own invention—will make an appearance for the defence.

What makes the grass grow......

What an appalling mindset for a member of a police force to have, speaks to the militarization of the US police. This line of thinking is excellent for the military.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #37
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I doubt there would be rioting, but there may be further police pull-back from high-crime neighbourhoods, which has likely played a part in the dramatic increases in violent crime in American cities in the last 12 months. Violent crime has increased 66 per cent since the police wound down their presence in the area of Minneapolis where Floyd was killed to avoid inflaming tensions.

https://www.startribune.com/near-geo...ght/600034699/
Pulling back and not going into these neighborhoods at all instead of correcting bad conduct and policing properly is so ridiculous. It's like a child protesting not being able to eat only cake for all meals by not eating anything at all.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Pulling back and not going into these neighborhoods at all instead of correcting bad conduct and policing properly is so ridiculous. It's like a child protesting not being able to eat only cake for all meals by not eating anything at all.
Some say the problem in Minneapolis (and other US cities) is many of the police officers live in the suburbs, and have no connection to the people and neighborhoods where they serve.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #39
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Some say the problem in Minneapolis (and other US cities) is many of the police officers live in the suburbs, and have no connection to the people and neighborhoods where they serve.
Catch 22 where cops live in the burbs because that's where they feel their family is safest.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #40
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It came up yesterday in some context that the community/area that this happened in was not really bad for serious crime pre-murder.

Since though? One of the worst in the city.

It was something along those lines.