Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #1541
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well when it's applied to DC movies it's been pretty consistently accurate. Because they make terrible movies for the most part.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #1542
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Oh, so its if it's not MCU it's garbage narrative all over again
Nothing to do with it. I just want another good Batman movie. The Nolan trilogy are some of my favorite films.

But just jamming more villains and using up more material is what they've already done and have been doing and it hasnt worked.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #1543
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well first I would say that 3 out of the last 4 DC Films have been both critically and financially successful films.

I have faith in Matt Reeves, his Apes movies were some of my favorite blockbuster films ever. We don't know much about the plot, but rumors are saying that most of those villains are only set to appear briefly as Batman does detective work and research into solving a high profile crime, think Long Halloween. General audiences already know most of those villains so they don't need to spend lot's of time giving us backstories they can just jump in.

Also this is part one of a planned trilogy so maybe he is seeding the other 2 films in the franchise who knows.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #1544
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Well first I would say that 3 out of the last 4 DC Films have been both critically and financially successful films.

I have faith in Matt Reeves, his Apes movies were some of my favorite blockbuster films ever. We don't know much about the plot, but rumors are saying that most of those villains are only set to appear briefly as Batman does detective work and research into solving a high profile crime, think Long Halloween. General audiences already know most of those villains so they don't need to spend lot's of time giving us backstories they can just jump in.

Also this is part one of a planned trilogy so maybe he is seeding the other 2 films in the franchise who knows.
Everything since Snyder has been removed has been quite good and done quite well. Even JL wouldn't have been quite as bad, except we ended up with a half-Snyder/half-WB studios that ended up being a mangled mess.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #1545
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Sure, I get it, but didn't we just have a detective story that involved every single batman villain in Gotham which was a pretty good series.

Also the problem with having all of the villains in one story line is the same as having a justice league if you don't handle it right, it becomes too convoluted and compressed and the villains become lesser to the point that one becomes fetch the coffee man.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #1546
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya if done poorly it can be disasterous (see Amazing Spider-Man 2), however, Spider-Man Homecoming had: Vulture, 2 Shockers, Mac Gargon, Tinkerer, & Aaron Davis. Not to mention Iron Man, MJ, Happy Hogan, Pepper Pots and it turned out well.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #1547
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Ya if done poorly it can be disasterous (see Amazing Spider-Man 2), however, Spider-Man Homecoming had: Vulture, 2 Shockers, Mac Gargon, Tinkerer, & Aaron Davis. Not to mention Iron Man, MJ, Happy Hogan, Pepper Pots and it turned out well.
Spider-man 2 was awesome. I believe you mean Spider-man 3.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #1548
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Spider-man 2 was awesome. I believe you mean Spider-man 3.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #1549
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. Right. Amazing Spider-man....for some reason that franchise never comes to mind and is totally forgettable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #1550
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

No he means what he said. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has tons of potential but it smashed together villains like it was trying to outdo Spider-Man 3.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #1551
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought The Amazing Spider-Man had decent potential as a reboot, but they threw it off the rails in the second one.

Or maybe I’m just a sucker for Emma Stone. She’s a great Gwen Stacy and Gwen was always Peters best love interest. But Tom Holland has blown all other Spider-Mans out of the water. Spider-Man 2 might still hold that place if not for its lack of Tom Holland and the scene where he shouts “Cmon Spider-Man!” To himself.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #1552
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sure, I get it, but didn't we just have a detective story that involved every single batman villain in Gotham which was a pretty good series.
Gotham was lots of fun and I enjoyed it for what it was but the 99% of it would be terrible on the big screen. The acting was subpar for most of it and the writing was pretty campy.

I could see The Batman being a cross between Long Halloween and Hush in that a few of the villains are cameos within Arkham and only a couple being featured prominently.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-13-2019 at 04:48 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #1553
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I thought The Amazing Spider-Man had decent potential as a reboot, but they threw it off the rails in the second one.

Or maybe I’m just a sucker for Emma Stone. She’s a great Gwen Stacy and Gwen was always Peters best love interest. But Tom Holland has blown all other Spider-Mans out of the water. Spider-Man 2 might still hold that place if not for its lack of Tom Holland and the scene where he shouts “Cmon Spider-Man!” To himself.
I just found nothing special about the whole thing. I'm actually a pretty big fan of some of Andrew Garfield's work, but he's just not a Peter Parker. Peter Parker is humble and introverted and when he becomes Spider-man he becomes a smart ass. Garfield is just too serious for either of those personalities.

To tell you the truth, I just don't remember much from the first film....A CGI battle with a lizard creature?

In the second one, Jaime Fox just felt weird and out of place as a super-villain, especially one that's pretending to be nerd. He's awkward, but not nerdy. Spider-man 2 actually had potential though. The casting was off, and the story had not heart though. I don't actually think the problem was too many villains. Spiderman actually works best when you've got a well integrated universe with multiple sub-characters going...it's pulling that off that's the challenge.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #1554
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first Spider-Man trilogy was going for a campy time that mirrored the 60s cartoon and Raimi was perfect for that. It however leaves some corny moments behind that don’t translate as well a decade or so later.

The villain really makes it, and ya no surprise that the 3 best (Spider-Man 1&2 and Homecoming) all have the best villains.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #1555
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Gotham was lots of fun and I enjoyed it for what it was but the 99% of it would be terrible on the big screen. The acting was subpar for most of it and the writing was pretty campy.

I could see The Batman being a cross between Long Halloween and Hush in that a few of the villains are cameos within Arkham and only a couple being featured prominently.
Yeah Long Halloween was the story my mind went to when I was thinking of a Batman detective mystery with lots of villains.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #1556
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now, this might be just a rumor and I'm not going through the effort to look it up, but werent those two movies required to be made just for Sony to keep the rights to Spiderman?

I vaguely recall that if Sony didnt make so many Spiderman movies over some period of time the rights would revert back to Marvel?

Sony didnt 'buy' Spiderman, they sorta rented him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #1557
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That's true, though I don't think they intended the movies to be "filler" just to keep the license. They honestly thought they were going to be great.

I didn't hate them. They were a step up from Spiderman 3 but the tone felt off and the villains weren't great at all.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #1558
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That's true, though I don't think they intended the movies to be "filler" just to keep the license. They honestly thought they were going to be great.

I didn't hate them. They were a step up from Spiderman 3 but the tone felt off and the villains weren't great at all.
Really? Because they were pretty bad. Not 'Spiderman 3' bad....but they're in the conversation...

Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #1559
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #1560
Rhettzky
Franchise Player