Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #3541
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's phase 4 of the MCU, total coincidence, nothing to see here.

That trailer was cloying and hackneyed and I am also a complete sucker for almost everything in it.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 05-03-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:08 AM   #3542
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Avengers assemble and Captain America showing he could use Mjolnir the first time in Infinity War was THE BEST.

I don't know how you could be a comic book fan and not have a giddy freakout at that.
I'm not even a comic book geek, and I absolutely love when they structure the action scenes to get an absolutely perfect framing that you either intuitively know or maybe saw some in the past, was an actual comic book cover.

I can think of dozens of examples, where you can tell there was just absolute attention to detail, in getting all of the characters framed just right in the middle of an action sequence.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #3543
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I'm not even a comic book geek, and I absolutely love when they structure the action scenes to get an absolutely perfect framing that you either intuitively know or maybe saw some in the past, was an actual comic book cover.

I can think of dozens of examples, where you can tell there was just absolute attention to detail, in getting all of the characters framed just right in the middle of an action sequence.
Cap vs. Tony in Civil War is the one that stands out to me:

Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #3544
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Russos really know how to hit those panel shots. Endgame and Infinity War are full of them.

Now...since I watched that scene to pull those shots, I have to watch Endgame in it's entirety. Again.

Last edited by Coach; 05-04-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #3545
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just did a re-watch of Infinity War/Endgame, and cap smacking Thanos with Mjolnir is still just as awesome as the first time I saw it in the theater. That's why as good as IW is, Endgame is still my favorite Marvel movie to date, because the big moments are just so BIG
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #3546
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You want panel shots, rewatch Sin City. Hoo boy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #3547
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Say what you will about Snyder but he's excellent at it as well. 300, Watchmen and a lot of the DC stuff have some great panel shots.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #3548
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Say what you will about Snyder but he's excellent at it as well. 300, Watchmen and a lot of the DC stuff have some great panel shots.
That is the problem with Snyder. He is excellent at mimicking present material, but everything else falls apart. He gets high level gigs because his trailers are downright awesome.

D&D from GOT tried to be Snyder, but failed, and I'm not sure if that put Snyder in a higher bracket, or D&D in a sand pail by the door.

It's definitely a breed of filmmaker that exists because of their ability to wow producers and studio heads.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #3549
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I just did a re-watch of Infinity War/Endgame, and cap smacking Thanos with Mjolnir is still just as awesome as the first time I saw it in the theater. That's why as good as IW is, Endgame is still my favorite Marvel movie to date, because the big moments are just so BIG
Damn you! Cap catching the spear at the train station with the accompanying music?

Only better part is when Thor shows up at the end with Groot and Rocket.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #3550
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Well the context matters too. We as an audience have a connection to the characters of the MCU. Cap lifting the hammer only means something with back story knowledge of what is required to lift it and why Cap qualifies. Just throwing a comic panel of The Dark Knight Returns lightning silhouette into Batman v Superman just because doesn’t really do anything for anyone outside of some hardcore fans.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #3551
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Lol. I can’t stop laughing at how dumb these guys are.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal...igns-1.5405475

Quote:
“After years of legal dispute and substantial sums of money, they continue to copy our characters,” Raymond Lai said in a statement to The Canadian Press. “It causes us significant damage and has an impact on our ability to make a living as artists. Clearly, this repeated behaviour cannot be accepted.”
Quote:
She said when Ben and Raymond Lai present their work to the public, people often think they copied Marvel.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7831958/m...-iron-man/amp/

Marvel should be suing them for ripping off 50 year old Marvel designs. I guess this is one way to get your crappy 20 year old comic in the news and get a few more sales.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #3552
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see almost no similarity besides that they are wearing suits...
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 PM   #3553
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

some of favorite most obvious examples, off the top of my head.

I know it's cheesey, but I'm a sucker for when they can organically move the set pieces in a fight right into position to nail the comic book cover.

#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #3554
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

More coming out about Joss Whedon being an #######.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1391145341840408579
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #3555
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does Joss Whedon think he has the ability to ruin Gal Gadot's career? Who's he going after next, George Clooney?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #3556
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Jupiter's Legacy wasn't bad, the origin story being interleaved with present day was pretty cool and I may have liked the origin part more than the present day story. It gets a little repetitive with it's navel gazing and angst over itself.

The super hero effects are funny to terrible.

A poor attempt to copy The Boys but still somewhat entertaining.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 01:25 PM   #3557
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I enjoyed it. I don't think they were copying The Boys at all since the source material is very different.

The effects weren't great compared to The Boys. I also enjoyed the past storylines more than the present. It might have worked a little better if they split the season into 4 episodes of each and kept things more linear.

That said, I hope they get another season or two. It's worth watching for 8 shortish episodes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #3558
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I just meant it's their "adult realistic superhero take" show.

I really liked how it flipped back and forth, I felt more engaged I think that I might have if it was split up.

Yeah the reveal at the end did get me and I would watch another season after that.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #3559
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem I found with it flipping back and forth between origin and present day was that I found one story far, far more interesting than the other.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #3560
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Another thing about the MCU I enjoyed was how the Avengers theme evolved. I remember hearing a few complaints after the first Avengers about how the theme music was forgettable, but by Endgame I don't know anyone who didn't get goosebumps when the main theme started pumping at the final battle

I'd put that theme up with the greats from Star Wars, Back to the Future, and Jurassic Park
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: