Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #3341
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I haven't watched it yet, but I suspect this review will not be kind:

Just watched the RLM review... they actually liked it!

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #3342
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I don't get the timing of this announcement. Why would a studio so quickly shut down a sequel when it's getting great reviews and lots of engagement and views. They green lit a WW84 sequel right away and ZS JL is doing better than that. WB just took away all the momentum and good will from the weekend.
WB said this about ZSJL, so don't be surprised if they flip flop over time.

I am guessing the main reason why they did announce it though was to save money on multiple big budget box office busts. ZSJL wasn't a good movie, it was better than the original, but it just wasn't a very good movie worthy of multiple follow up movies worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #3343
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC finds its Dr. Fate in Mrs. Doubtfire star

https://twitter.com/user/status/1374841476283256840
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #3344
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is fantastic casting for Dr. Fate.

Lately (the last 15 years) they have tried to make Fate younger and more hip. His charm is that he is one of the most powerful characters in the DCU, and zero percent hip. He also is really interesting in his viewpoint. He will send someone to an alternate dimension to live in pain and suffering for all eternity, but be happy that he didn't have to do anything violent to the person. At least old Fate was like that. DCU needs some more weird dudes.

Charisma is different, which is what makes this great casting.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #3345
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

My More Fun Comics #55 agrees with this casting! Always wanted to see Dr. Fate on screen. Great choice.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:32 PM   #3346
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Not sure "Mrs. Doubtfire star" is what comes to mind when I think of Pierce Brosnan, but to each their own.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #3347
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Not sure "Mrs. Doubtfire star" is what comes to mind when I think of Pierce Brosnan, but to each their own.
It was joke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #3348
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo star Oded Fehr would have been my choice
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #3349
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Pretty solid casting. So Black Adam, Atom Smasher, Cyclone, Hawkman and Dr. fate all cast so far. The JSA is forming up.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #3350
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1373816910094209030
Old 03-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #3351
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just finished up watching JL. I never saw the first one and couldn't get through BvS. The movie was fine, however I am left with the feeling it could of been more. I really wish that DC went the route of the MCU and spent some time developing the heroes and villians in their own movies. I think this would of created a much better sense of connection to the plot of JL. It just felt like they needed to rush out a collab movie to jump on the super hero money train instead of world building. I think if they would have done some wolrd building movies first that JL could of been a great film, instead they just get a "meh that was fine".
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #3352
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

The Rock does not skip leg day.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #3353
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
The Rock does not skip leg day.
He turns 49 in a few months...he looks bigger and leaner than he ever has. Must be good diet and exercise?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #3354
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Just finished up watching JL. I never saw the first one and couldn't get through BvS. The movie was fine, however I am left with the feeling it could of been more. I really wish that DC went the route of the MCU and spent some time developing the heroes and villians in their own movies. I think this would of created a much better sense of connection to the plot of JL. It just felt like they needed to rush out a collab movie to jump on the super hero money train instead of world building. I think if they would have done some wolrd building movies first that JL could of been a great film, instead they just get a "meh that was fine".
It was 4 hours long. How much more do you want?

I kid...you're absolutely right though. A lot is said of Snyder's character development, but the fact of the matter is that DC wanted to get rich quick and didnt want to put in the work.

So they skipped all the buildup and went straight to the tentpoles.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #3355
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It was 4 hours long. How much more do you want?

I kid...you're absolutely right though. A lot is said of Snyder's character development, but the fact of the matter is that DC wanted to get rich quick and didnt want to put in the work.

So they skipped all the buildup and went straight to the tentpoles.
This^ is the main reason why the MCU get's a lot more leeway with their movies. They took the time to build it up from the very beginning, fleshing out characters and relationships while taking the chance that comic book movies may not be the next big thing.

Once the MCU was off and running the DCEU wanted to jump on the momentum of CBM's created by the MCU without doing any of the heavy lifting required to build out a proper DCEU. This is the main reason why, in my opinion, their movies have in large part failed to meet expectations.

Throw everyone into the movie! Have terrible scripts! But the fights are awesome!!!

Nahh give me the years long character arcs and story building that the MCU offers over the over-the-top action and diluted storylines that DCEU offers every time.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-25-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #3356
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
This^ is the main reason why the MCU get's a lot more leeway with their movies. They took the time to build it up from the very beginning, fleshing out characters and relationships while taking the chance that comic book movies may not be the next big thing.

Once the MCU was off and running the DCEU wanted to jump on the momentum of CBM's created by the MCU without doing any of the heavy lifting required to build out a proper DCEU. This is the main reason why, in my opinion, their movies have in large part failed to meet expectations.

Throw everyone into the movie! Have terrible scripts! But the fights are awesome!!!

Nahh give me the years long character arcs and story building that the MCU offers over the over-the-top action and diluted storylines that DCEU offers every time.
Meh...

Do we really need an origin story for all the DC characters?

Also many of the Marvel origin stories have been their worst movies: Captain America, Thor 1/2, Captain Marvel, Hulk, etc...Of the main cast of the original Avengers movie, the only character with a good backstory buildup movie was Iron Man.

It's all a lot simpler. Good movies are good. Bad movies are bad.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #3357
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Meh...

Do we really need an origin story for all the DC characters?

Also many of the Marvel origin stories have been their worst movies: Captain America, Thor 1/2, Captain Marvel, Hulk, etc...Of the main cast of the original Avengers movie, the only character with a good backstory buildup movie was Iron Man.

It's all a lot simpler. Good movies are good. Bad movies are bad.
You don't need origin stories, but if setting up a film where you plan to do very little character development even in your 4 hour extended cut, you ought to do some beforehand. That is, of course, if this is meant to be something substantial, and not a throwaway action movie like the Expendables.

And that's what this is. It's the Expandables. It's a bunch of names brought together for no real other reason than to have them together. And that's fine. But it's an entertaining gimmick at best. The story, the characters, they obviously don't matter. It's just a collection of set pieces and banking on the gimmick. The Avengers movies (even the first one is kind of weak all things considers) were events, because they covered all the bases. Sure, there were new characters, but the main characters stood on their own.

Some of the origin stories from Marvel might not be their best films, but they're all better rated than either version of Justice League. So if good movies are good, and bad movies are bad, then Justice League is just bad.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #3358
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The way the MCU did it from a empire building monetary perspective was quite smart.

You could make the argument that if Iron Man was a flop, none of this happens. But for a relatively low budget, kind of obscure Superhero movie it was a huge hit. Cap 1 was average, Thor 1 was average, Thor 2 was forgettable, Iron Man 2 and 3 were pretty average and so on.

Civil War, and the Avengers movies were great (except for maybe AoU) and they built this huge following and built up the credibility and hype of the franchise. It's come to the point where they can make an AntMan movie for 100million and have it pull in over 500 million at the box office. Despite it being an okay, enjoyable, albeit forgettable movie.

The MCU is at the poker table raking it in with pairs and the odd full house .

The DCU is losing their shirt waiting on a royal flush to go all in.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #3359
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
The way the MCU did it from a empire building monetary perspective was quite smart.

You could make the argument that if Iron Man was a flop, none of this happens. But for a relatively low budget, kind of obscure Superhero movie it was a huge hit. Cap 1 was average, Thor 1 was average, Thor 2 was forgettable, Iron Man 2 and 3 were pretty average and so on.

Civil War, and the Avengers movies were great (except for maybe AoU) and they built this huge following and built up the credibility and hype of the franchise. It's come to the point where they can make an AntMan movie for 100million and have it pull in over 500 million at the box office. Despite it being an okay, enjoyable, albeit forgettable movie.

The MCU is at the poker table raking it in with pairs and the odd full house .

The DCU is losing their shirt waiting on a royal flush to go all in.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
And the real sad fact is.....they got it.

They used 'Death of Superman' and 'The Dark Knight Returns' and some Darkseid in the same damned movie, along with some other good source material.

You're talking about two of some of the most iconic and epic comic storylines and source material around....and this is what we got.

I mean...if thats not the 'Royal Flush' you're waiting for....then it just isnt coming.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #3360
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You don't need origin stories, but if setting up a film where you plan to do very little character development even in your 4 hour extended cut, you ought to do some beforehand. That is, of course, if this is meant to be something substantial, and not a throwaway action movie like the Expendables.

And that's what this is. It's the Expandables. It's a bunch of names brought together for no real other reason than to have them together. And that's fine. But it's an entertaining gimmick at best. The story, the characters, they obviously don't matter. It's just a collection of set pieces and banking on the gimmick. The Avengers movies (even the first one is kind of weak all things considers) were events, because they covered all the bases. Sure, there were new characters, but the main characters stood on their own.

Some of the origin stories from Marvel might not be their best films, but they're all better rated than either version of Justice League. So if good movies are good, and bad movies are bad, then Justice League is just bad.
When I saw Avengers for the first time, I really did not give an F about Hulk's backstory.

As for "rating", I'm assuming you mean Rotten Tomatoes? Disney is the king of making movies that are just good enough to get a "fresh rating". Even then the Snyder cut is ranked about Thor: Dark World, Iron Man 2, and the hulk movies.

It's an issue of preference too. But I prefer my sci-fi to be more off the wall. I really don't care how family or Chinese censor friendly it is. In fact, with everything that's going on, I'd prefer to offend the Chinese government censors at the cost of increased revenue. I know a lot of Marvel fans don't see it that way.