Old 04-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #1861
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
Here is the yearly list of top restaurants

https://www.avenuecalgary.com/best-restaurants-calgary/
Nice to see Darren MacLean get some love x 2. With his Michelin guide aspirations I imagine he's not long for staying in Canada.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #1862
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
I can't be the only one who thinks the entire Calgary steak scene is overrated and bordering on a bit amateur. At the local steakhouses there's minimal dry aging process and the truely superior beef strains are rarely offered, if at all. The whole "Alberta Beef is numba 1" propaganda rammed down our throats is quite tiresome IMO. Yeah its better than the average Australian beef, but its really not that special on the high end side.
Argentinian beef is the worlds best hands down
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #1863
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Ok a little shout out to To Me on McLeod Trail.

Rolled up today to get subs for me and my daughter.

The owner was outside telling people his debit/CC machine was down.

He told me "come back tomorrow or whenever to pay".

I'll miss their subs...........
Dairy Queen on elbow drive near heritage did that once, too. She gave me a receipt for $19.50 or whatever and told me to come back tomorrow or whenever was convenient and pay.

I get the cost/benefit analysis likely says they'll make more money with a few no shows than just not taking orders from cashless customers, but I still figured a large corporation like that wold be too rigid to give food away and ask that you come back.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #1864
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Argentinian beef is the worlds best hands down
This is so very true. I have never ate so well on a vacation as when I travelled there and gorged on meat.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #1865
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Dairy Queen on elbow drive near heritage did that once, too. She gave me a receipt for $19.50 or whatever and told me to come back tomorrow or whenever was convenient and pay.

I get the cost/benefit analysis likely says they'll make more money with a few no shows than just not taking orders from cashless customers, but I still figured a large corporation like that wold be too rigid to give food away and ask that you come back.
I mean the dude had already won me over with his yummy food, this just put it to a new level of obsession.

At one time I used to eat at Jimmy's AA so much his mom would do the same.

She was grand.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #1866
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone in the Marda Loop area, Saffron Bistro just opened up. Their food was incredible, and the 4 curries, 2 orders of naan bread and rice filled us up for a very filling 3 meals. $70 plus tip well spent. A great add to the area, especially in comparison to Curry Queens, of whom the less said the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
This may be my first time posting in this thread, but do value it. My post is about my favourite sushi restaurant;
It had sub-par interior décor, it was across the street from a pretty popular Sushi Chain, Globe Fish, and the owners weren't even actually Japanese.

This Korean family of three, owned Els in Marda Loop. Their service, was ALWAYS greeted with a smile, some rolls I just loved, above average sushi, and I always got a table. Uusually, it was the husband (chef), & wife (serving, taking orders), and sometimes their daughter on busy days. I'd visit religiously bi-monthly, taking clients, and friends there.

Sadly, they left me on a kind personal, note with my Boxing Day take-out order, that they would be shutting down on Jan 1, permanently. Honestly, saddened for them -- they did say they're retiring, but perhaps I'm being pessimistic. I'd love to know they're doing wonderfully.

So yes, of course I ordered tons on NYE. No regrets in how often I went, but I do regret not having shared Els with you fine folk. Hopefully many of you shared a similar experience.
I also loved El's. Was definitely sad when they shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Have done takeout from at Pubblico Italian Kitchen in Marda Loop a couple of times...absolutely delicious! They had the unfortunate timing of opening just as COVID hit, but so far are hanging on.
I've been trying to convince my wife to try Pubblico since they opened. It's probably the last place in the neighbourhood we haven't gotten takeout from during this pandemic. She is too loyal to Annabelle's Kitchen or Sauce. Good to know this place is decent though, might help my case.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #1867
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Prior to this last shutdown I've got to say this about a few places in the northeast.

Queens ....on Edmonton trail. Best breakfast I've ever eaten. There's nothing on thd menu that ISNT done extremely well.
They have a makeshift patio open in the mornings .

Citizen Brewery
Food here is really good. Beer is quite good as well. Patio here is great.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 02:31 PM   #1868
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
For anyone in the Marda Loop area, Saffron Bistro just opened up. Their food was incredible, and the 4 curries, 2 orders of naan bread and rice filled us up for a very filling 3 meals. $70 plus tip well spent. A great add to the area, especially in comparison to Curry Queens, of whom the less said the better.

I also loved El's. Was definitely sad when they shut down.

I've been trying to convince my wife to try Pubblico since they opened. It's probably the last place in the neighbourhood we haven't gotten takeout from during this pandemic. She is too loyal to Annabelle's Kitchen or Sauce. Good to know this place is decent though, might help my case.

I’ve only had samosas from Saffron, made to order and eaten immediately - outstanding IMO

I like Annabelle’s food but prefer Pubblico. We were put off Annabelle’s when it first opened because it was ridiculously noisy - we couldn’t carry on a decent conversation and actually downloaded a decibel meter to kill time between courses. Good thing it wasn’t a date! No idea if that was a one off problem though and we’ve done takeout since. Have only done takeout from Pubblico but expect it will be a bit quieter with its softer decor.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #1869
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve only had samosas from Saffron, made to order and eaten immediately - outstanding IMO

I like Annabelle’s food but prefer Pubblico. We were put off Annabelle’s when it first opened because it was ridiculously noisy - we couldn’t carry on a decent conversation and actually downloaded a decibel meter to kill time between courses. Good thing it wasn’t a date! No idea if that was a one off problem though and we’ve done takeout since. Have only done takeout from Pubblico but expect it will be a bit quieter with its softer decor.

Edit: we live 5 min from both so the food doesn’t suffer much from takeout
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #1870
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

This post prompted me to actually look at Pubblico's menu and I have to say I'm intrigued.

To be honest, up until this point I was entirely dismissive of them as "oh, another restaurant in that place that keeps changing", but I think we'll give them a try now. Thanks!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #1871
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Prior to this last shutdown I've got to say this about a few places in the northeast.

Queens ....on Edmonton trail. Best breakfast I've ever eaten. There's nothing on thd menu that ISNT done extremely well.
They have a makeshift patio open in the mornings .

Citizen Brewery
Seconding both of these.
Queens is a bit of a strange location but their brunch is soooooo good.
Citizen's beers are a staple in our house, they also have a killer fried chicken bucket on Wednesdays.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #1872
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bridgette Bar is also a super noisy room.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #1873
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I ordered from the Strathmore location a couple of times when I was staying out there. Very yummy.

My favourite shawarma place lately is Beirut Street Food where Fairmount Dr and Flint Rd SE meet. They roast the meat on a rotisserie over charcoal so it's absolutely delicious.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #1874
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Citizen Brewery
Citizen makes one of the best burgers I've had in Calgary. The food is superb.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #1875
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have cravings for Dim Sum I thought I'd throw a shout out to Top Gun Kitchen on Edmonton Trail, next door to Queen's.

They specialize in frozen dim sum which is perfect in these times. Just tried it out on a recommendation from a foodie, and it's easily light years beyond the stuff found at T&T or other stores. Steamed it at home and it's on par with takeout from a dim sum restaurant, if not better. Pro Tip - get the deluxe version (1A and 3A) of the dim sum classics for it to be restaurant quality.

No webpage unfortunately, just a Facebook page, which has their menu:

https://www.facebook.com/topgunkitchenyyc/
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #1876
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Based on your review, we're going to give Pubblico a try. Mission accomplished!

The one time we did dine in at Annabelle's we did not find it to be noisy, but that could also be a one off. Their patio also has a nice atmosphere given the area is quite busy but not on a main street. The food is on the pricier end for the portion sizes which means Sauce tends to win out most night.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:10 PM   #1877
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
My favourite shawarma place lately is Beirut Street Food where Fairmount Dr and Flint Rd SE meet. They roast the meat on a rotisserie over charcoal so it's absolutely delicious.

This is easily my favorite spot also. On top of the charcoal rotisserie, is they make their pita bread from scratch in front of you also. Grandma usually bustin them out like she probably has for 40 years. This place does not disappoint.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 AM   #1878
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post

This is easily my favorite spot also. On top of the charcoal rotisserie, is they make their pita bread from scratch in front of you also. Grandma usually bustin them out like she probably has for 40 years. This place does not disappoint.
Really nice people as well. Always happy to give them my money!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:03 AM   #1879
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Bridgette Bar is also a super noisy room.
Solid shout out. Excellent place.

Have you been to the sister restaurant LuLu Bar?

I haven't it was on the list, but continually got missed by me.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #1880
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I ordered from the Strathmore location a couple of times when I was staying out there. Very yummy.

This is close to my office.

Thank you

Quote:

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business