Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 05-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #5161
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I think Calgary does a pretty good job with roads given our freeze thaw cycle.

Take a drive in the City that shall not be named up north and look at their potholes.

Ya, we let chinooks clear our roads... but as a taxpayer, I like that.
Well, we can always look at deerfoot as an example.

Let's hire a contractor to handle a road and see how they do comparatively in maintaining it.

Wait, what do you mean it's now worse and even more expensive!?!?!?!

Will be interesting to see what happens in a few years when control of deerfoot goes back to the city
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #5162
Mull
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Well, we can always look at deerfoot as an example.

Let's hire a contractor to handle a road and see how they do comparatively in maintaining it.

Wait, what do you mean it's now worse and even more expensive!?!?!?!

Will be interesting to see what happens in a few years when control of deerfoot goes back to the city
You're using a road managed by the province as an example of how the City manages the roads?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #5163
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Calgary does a pretty good job with roads given our freeze thaw cycle.

Take a drive in the City that shall not be named up north and look at their potholes.

Ya, we let chinooks clear our roads... but as a taxpayer, I like that.
It is always surprising how much worse the roads are in Edmonton given their status of capital city. Calgary uses so much salt now that I'm not exactly sure why sanding is required for anything other than large scale snowfall. I just don't understand why they put out fresh gravel when we get a couple of mm of snow that melts shortly after falling. Seems a waste of money all around.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #5164
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're using a road managed by the province as an example of how the City manages the roads?
As a comparison from when the city managed it, yes.

When the province took over, deerfoot got worse. So it will be interesting to see how/if it improves when the city takes it over again
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #5165
iggy_oi
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
False alarm! My wife was clicking the tracking link from her email, but instead of sending her to the tracking page for that page, it was bringing up a previous one that had been delivered into the mail box. So this is a problem with the Canada Post website. But also still a delivery driver issue, because they don't ring the bell, and I've had them left overnight before. GG stands, but no missing package!
I can understand your frustration but given the whole pandemic I wouldn’t be surprised if Canada post actually instructed their drivers to not ring doorbells for safety reasons. Obviously they could have given their drivers one of those no touch keychain things(technical term) and if that is the case the driver should ring the bell, but if they’re just doing what they’re told it’s hard to fault the delivery driver for that.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #5166
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was faulting the policy, not the driver, because it is systemic. Ring the bell, it's not going to give you covid.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #5167
iggy_oi
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ring the bell, it's not going to give you covid.
But it actually might
Old 05-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #5168
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I can understand your frustration but given the whole pandemic I wouldn’t be surprised if Canada post actually instructed their drivers to not ring doorbells for safety reasons. Obviously they could have given their drivers one of those no touch keychain things(technical term) and if that is the case the driver should ring the bell, but if they’re just doing what they’re told it’s hard to fault the delivery driver for that.
SIL works in a post office and they triple mask now. For safety reasons.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #5169
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada post rang my doorbell for a package literally 2 minutes ago. My carrier always does
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #5170
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Canada post rang my doorbell for a package literally 2 minutes ago. My carrier always does
Then I guess mine just needs to go to a re-education camp?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #5171
iggy_oi
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Then I guess mine just needs to go to a re-education camp?
Nah, bizarro is just trying to bait me into saying the employee did something wrong. Not falling for it bizarro
Old 05-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #5172
flamingred89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Banks. Banks rgmg. We got double charged for our mortgage this month. Ok. Connect with the bank and they recognize the error and say the will reverse the charge and we will see the money back in our account in 7 to 10 days. GTFO with that. Its not your money to hold. Send it back right away. You damn well know that if it was an error in my favour they would be dipping their hands into my account or whatever else to get it back. Now my money is likely sitting in one of their holding accounts collecting interest when it should be doing the same where it belongs.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #5173
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting absolutely spammed by scam callers today. They leave 30 second long empty voicemail. They’ve smartened up a little bit and have been spoofing more random phone numbers than last time.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #5174
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Banks. Banks rgmg. We got double charged for our mortgage this month. Ok. Connect with the bank and they recognize the error and say the will reverse the charge and we will see the money back in our account in 7 to 10 days. GTFO with that. Its not your money to hold. Send it back right away. You damn well know that if it was an error in my favour they would be dipping their hands into my account or whatever else to get it back. Now my money is likely sitting in one of their holding accounts collecting interest when it should be doing the same where it belongs.
That is actually the most infuriating thing.
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #5175
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Clients who don't understand their own software and somehow it's my problem when the info we send them to import doesn't turn out the way they want. Spent half the day today trying to explain to one of our clients that our data is fine, it is what they are doing with it on their end. It's about the 5th time I've had to do this with these guys and it's always on a Friday when or the weekend when they call.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #5176
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, bizarro is just trying to bait me into saying the employee did something wrong. Not falling for it bizarro
Lol. I actually don't care. I wouldn't be surprised if they left it to employee discretion whether to ring or not during the pandemic. We put in a video doorbell in the spring as a pandemic project, so I get notified even if they don't ring.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #5177
iggy_oi
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. I actually don't care. I wouldn't be surprised if they left it to employee discretion whether to ring or not during the pandemic. We put in a video doorbell in the spring as a pandemic project, so I get notified even if they don't ring.
I would hope so since I was just kidding around
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #5178
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They never ring though, even pre-pandemic. Canada Post’s default position is to not even try. They just leave the pick up slip.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #5179
RichieRich
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The should give the parcel delivery folks little mini rubber mallets to use to tap/knock on the door (or use to push the doorbell). Doesn't mean they have to stand 2 inches from the door awaiting an answer. But at least notify.

My neighbor when they get their Amazon (or whatever) delivery... the delivery person somewhat hides it behind the entranceway post so it's not really visible from the street. Yet here we are and it gets plonked down right in front of the door, no effort to hide it.
RichieRich is online now   Reply With Quote