Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #81
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Also....McDavid being 'The Best Player in the League?'

Laughable.

Come talk to me about that when he is anywhere close to Crosby's level.
IMO McDavid is the most naturally gifted player in the league. His skating speed and ability to make the plays at that speed is unmatched.

But I don't think his hockey sense or ability to make those around him better is at the same level as Crosby at Crosby's prime.

McDavid will be flashier, and might put up the better career points. But I think Crosby will have the more successful career.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #82
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
IMO McDavid is the most naturally gifted player in the league. His skating speed and ability to make the plays at that speed is unmatched.

But I don't think his hockey sense or ability to make those around him better is at the same level as Crosby at Crosby's prime.

McDavid will be flashier, and might put up the better career points. But I think Crosby will have the more successful career.
I could be wrong about this, obviously, but I don't think McDavid is dynamic or versatile enough to score into his later years when he inevitably slows down a bit. Once his speed is no longer 'god-mode' I think his numbers will fall significantly.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #83
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

If you're playing the bulk of your career in Edmonton that's a guarantee.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #84
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I could be wrong about this, obviously, but I don't think McDavid is dynamic or versatile enough to score into his later years when he inevitably slows down a bit. Once his speed is no longer 'god-mode' I think his numbers will fall significantly.
The guy is great at what he does, but I honestly see him as no greater player than Pavel Bure was. Immense skill, but his overall hockey abilities are mediocre for a high end player.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #85
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The guy is great at what he does, but I honestly see him as no greater player than Pavel Bure was. Immense skill, but his overall hockey abilities are mediocre for a high end player.
I know what you are saying - I think he is a similar player to Bure, but I think Bure is a poor man's McDavid. As a fast, purely offensive player, he is one of, if not the best in recent memory.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #86
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I know what you are saying - I think he is a similar player to Bure, but I think Bure is a poor man's McDavid. As a fast, purely offensive player, he is one of, if not the best in recent memory.
Finnnnneeeee. I’ll give you that.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #87
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Finnnnneeeee. I’ll give you that.
I hate it as much as you do. He's not a winner or a leader though, and ultimately that will be how he'll be remembered.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #88
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate it as much as you do. He's not a winner or a leader though, and ultimately that will be how he'll be remembered.
He's 24 years old and part of a delusional organization that doesn't even know what a winning culture has looked like since the 80s. There's still a chance for McDavid to grow his game and become more versatile defensively so he can viewed as more of a leader on the ice. Hopefully it doesn't happen with the Oilers though. The lack of support depth should ensure that won't be the case.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #89
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid is closing in on his 5th straight season with 60+ assists. You can’t do that with physical tools alone - Taylor Hall has never had 60 apples once, and he’s as pure a “physical tools” player as you get.

Connor is going to be a top 10 player until he’s 35, barring injury. Our only hope is that for the back half of his career, he’s not an Oiler.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 04-23-2021 at 12:10 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #90
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cool, he gets points. When people think about greatness, they see the trophies they hold at the end of the season. Connor won't be lifting the Stanley Cup as long as he's an Oiler, and certainly not until he figures out how to be a 2-way player on top of being a producer as well.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #91
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Cool, he gets points. When people think about greatness, they see the trophies they hold at the end of the season. Connor won't be lifting the Stanley Cup as long as he's an Oiler, and certainly not until he figures out how to be a 2-way player on top of being a producer as well.
We hope.

If you have two MVP centres, you don’t need much beyond a goalie, solid coach and a supporting cast that knows how to not #### up to do a LOT of damage.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #92
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll happily eat crow on it if he manages to do enough damage to get the cup 3 times before he breaks down.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats the thing about Crosby....he's been tossed every roadblock there is especially significant concussion issues.

But he always bounces back up better than ever.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #94
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats the thing about Crosby....he's been tossed every roadblock there is especially significant concussion issues.

But he always bounces back up better than ever.
Small point of clarification, but Sid’s major “concussion” that kept him out in 2011-12 was actually a misdiagnosed neck injury.

He’s the best player in the game for my money. Anyone who hasn’t seen him play live at least once needs to spend the money next time the opportunity presents itself, because it’s just different watching him on the ice. It’s tough to even describe, but he glides around the ice like a shark, and even when he doesn’t have the puck, you sense that he’s still the one controlling the entire game.

And then the puck ends up on his stick. It’s uncanny.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #95
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Pat McAfee was loving him today for coming thru on a Fan Duels bet for him.

For me him and Patrice Bergeron really epitomize what a top NHL Center is in this era. There are others, but these two for me are the standouts, and Crosby is just a cut above.

McDavid and MacKinnon may be the guys who define the next era with a bit more focus driving offence with their speed. But at this point neither of those guys has played a game after the second round of the playoffs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #96
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Sometimes it's like this guy is really just a hockey player from the future who thought it would cool to go back in time and f*** with everyone's chi.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #97
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We hope.

If you have two MVP centres, you don’t need much beyond a goalie, solid coach and a supporting cast that knows how to not #### up to do a LOT of damage.
2 centers that play together

McDavid is on the ice for 70% of Drai points
Old 05-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #98
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Obligatory Crosby wrestling Konecny's face into the ice.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #99
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

U mad it wasn't the other way around.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 09:29 PM   #100
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Pat McAfee was loving him today for coming thru on a Fan Duels bet for him.

For me him and Patrice Bergeron really epitomize what a top NHL Center is in this era. There are others, but these two for me are the standouts, and Crosby is just a cut above.

McDavid and MacKinnon may be the guys who define the next era with a bit more focus driving offence with their speed. But at this point neither of those guys has played a game after the second round of the playoffs.
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby

Sakic
Yzerman
Messier
Esposito/Beliveau - maybe a few others of past era
Bergeron?

The tier below this could be pretty expansive (Forsberg/Fedorov to Francis/Dionne to Trottier to Thornton to Modano to Mikita to Clarke to Hawerchuk to Malkin/Kopitar/Toews/Getzlaf/Datsyuk, etc.)...my question is, has Bergeron distinguished himself from this group, as I'd argue Sakic, Yzerman, and *puke* Messier did?

I suppose it's a tough sell considering he's never cracked 80 pts in a season, only been PPG once (79 in 65gp '18-19), and doesn't even have 1000 pts (currently 916 in 1141 gp). Is it crazy that Gretz/Lemieux/Crosby/Sakic are the only 4 guys I'm 100% certain I'd take ahead of Bergeron? Though you wouldn't have to twist my arm very hard to take any of the other guys I mentioned (and probably several others) instead...

Put another way, has Bergeron distinguished himself from the post-Sakic group of C's bolded above?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote