Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #381
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
He should be concerned about Panarin's head not helmet, its called respect. Somebody wrapping up an opponent from behind in a scrum to de-escalate is an every day occurrence in the NHL. The opponent going bat sh*t crazy, ripping off a helmet, slamming a guy to the ice twice, risking a severe head injury, is not. Panarin did not throw one punch. Wilson is a lunatic who needs therapy or medicine.
Here's the thing. Do you know what Buchnevich said or did to Wilson or others in the game? I am gonna go with no.

Respect? Maybe not so sure he should get any?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #382
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He threw an elbow a few years back...what else has he done? McDavid has been suspended more recently than Tkachuk

Wilson has been suspended how many times
I don't know. He hurt Schiffele. He hurt Campbell? I am not saying he is this dirty, but other fans do. Like us Flames fans say about Wilson.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #383
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I don't know. He hurt Schiffele. He hurt Campbell? I am not saying he is this dirty, but other fans do. Like us Flames fans say about Wilson.
Scheifeles injury was a fluke, you're being purposely obtuse if you think Tkachuk hurt him. Tkachuk didn't hurt Campbell

You're really reaching here
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #384
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the thing. Do you know what Buchnevich said or did to Wilson or others in the game? I am gonna go with no.

So depending on what was said, common sense/respect can be thrown out the door? You want to settle a tiff from a previous encounter, challenge a guy or look for a clean solid hit.

Also not sure why you are mentioning Buchnevich, I haven't mentioned his name once. I am talking about the play with Panarin, and hurling him to the ice with no helmet.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #385
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

So when did Parros get a CP account?
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:01 PM   #386
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

No matter what has happened before, Wilson should still be concerned with not slamming another players head to the ice from standing height, don't you agree?
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #387
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Buchnevich had a slashing penalty earlier in the game and right before the incident with Mantha happened he two handed Mantha in the opposite zone which is probably why Mantha began stalking him. I tried to find it but the national feed didn't have any replays of the slash. I did watch the Caps feed though and they showed it. Mantha looked at the ref after wondering why there was no call then obviously we know what happened a few seconds later.

I'm also a huge Caps fan (since the early 90's) and wore my Wilson jersey yesterday afternoon running errands. Would absolutely love to have him on our team here in Calgary even with his history of dirty hits.

Also this meme is awesome from a Caps fan's perspective lol

Spoiler!

And for the record I do believe Wilson should've got at least one game, possibly two for the Buchnevich punch.

Last edited by BlAcKNoVa; 05-06-2021 at 11:37 PM.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #388
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think Tkachuk is a bit dirty - greasy more than dirty. I think Tkachuk WAS worse to start his career. I hated his slewfoots, and I thought that elbow on Doughty was excessive.

I don't see Tkachuk trying to injure people now. I didn't like him 'falling' on the goalies as I do think it can hurt someone. I am not a huge fan of his 'rat game' at times - I generally dislike rats.

I just don't think Tkachuk and Wilson are comparables here really. Wilson tries to crush guys and he likes to beat the snot out of guys. I love Wilson and his overall game 99% of the time, but he has gone over that line a few too many times, and continues to do it.

I don't have a problem with him starting a ruckus that night. If Panarin jumped him from behind trying to stop him, I would expect him to turn around give Panarin a really hard time and make him regret it - that's 100% ok in my books. This is a chance to rough up a star player.

However, I am 100% NOT OK with Wilson grabbing Panarin and driving him to the ice like that. To me, that was an obvious intent to injure.

I have argued that I think McSorely's stick work on Brashear that got him permanently banned from the NHL was really a tap that was not meant to have the impact it did (compare that to Dino Cicarelli's stickwork!). This one? Not 'NHL Ban-worthy', but definitely deserved more than 5K fine. That's a fairly clear 'intent to injure' there.

Tkachuk WAS a dirty player when he first came into the league. I hated his slewfoots for one, and some of what I call 'cheap shots'. I don't see him being dirty any longer - just ratty. Wilson was an intent to injure, and I generally like Wilson and his game, and feel at times things are overblown at times because of his reputation and because people generally hate him now.

They are not wrong in this case, IMO. There was definitely intent (and success!) to injure. I would have no issues if Wilson roughed-up Panarin, pushed him, wrestled with him, gave him a smack of a punch - dirty, but not trying to kill him. Riding his head into the ice - that's trying to kill him, and way over the line.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #389
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I see Tkachuk as being neither dirty nor ratty. More boring and going through the motions

The most relevant he has been this season is when players have told Brady he is just like his brother

Which is actually a lot worse in reality than how they meant it
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #390
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Wilson is garbage and should be banned permanently.
I'm going to give my unpopular opinion, but Wilson has a Stanley Cup ring, and I wouldn't object to seeing his name removed from it as well.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #391
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

sorry about Athletic paywall, but the DGB grab bag today is awesome because he lists every type of reaction that we've seen in this thread.

https://theathletic.com/2568454/2021...ension-debate/

some samples:

Quote:
The Freeze-Frame Artist: So you think that hit was high, or from behind, or made contact with the head? Well, maybe this fuzzy screen grab will change your mind. Sure, this particular image is actually from the pregame warmup of a different game from a different season, but I think it speaks for itself.

The What-About: Oh, you didn’t like that hit? Well did you also criticize the Wayne Maki/Ted Green stick-swinging incident in 1969? Oh you didn’t, because you weren’t born yet, how interesting.

“You’d Love Him If He Were on Your Team”: This person is very proud of themselves for understanding how fandom works.

The Hypothetical: OK but what if instead of Tom Wilson or whoever, it was Connor McDavid? And what if instead of whatever they did, they did something else? And what if instead of hockey, we were playing “Zork” on a mainframe computer in 1978? Really makes you think.

The Fan Who Actually Played the Game: Did you ever play the game? This fan played the game. They understand the game, because they played the game, unlike you, who never played the game. Specifically, they played half a season of rec league and then got kicked off the team for never bringing the beer.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #392
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
I'm going to give my unpopular opinion, but Wilson has a Stanley Cup ring, and I wouldn't object to seeing his name removed from it as well.
There is no precedence for this, and I think if someone was to be erased from the cup. Where does this stop?

1) Matt Cooke - ending Savard's career/slicing Karlsson's Achilles?
2) Scott Stevens - effectively ending Lindros' career and head shotting Kariya among many other head shots?
3) Mike Richards for smuggling drugs across the border?
4) Stoll for getting busted with drugs at a club
5) Ryan O'Reilly for drunk driving and crashing into a Tim Horton's?
6) Patrick Kane for allegations against him in Wisconsin?

There are a lot worse players that are honored on the cup than Tom Wilson. The Stanley Cup is there to record history (Good or bad)
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dienasty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #393
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Tom Wilson wouldn’t be in the top 20 dirtiest players to have their name on the cup

Tom Wilson might not have even been in the top 20 for dirtiest players on the 80 Oilers and Flames!

People really forget how nasty hockey use to be - or didn’t see because of lack of internet coverage back then

This would happen every night in the 80s
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #394
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, relative to his era he certainly is. We know a lot more than we did 40 years ago about concussions, for example, and what he does isn't necessary or acceptable as the roles played by 80s goons were.

Not that I think we should start scrubbing people from the cup for being a holes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #395
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by zamler; 05-08-2021 at 06:40 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #396
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
There is no precedence for this, and I think if someone was to be erased from the cup. Where does this stop?

1) Matt Cooke - ending Savard's career/slicing Karlsson's Achilles?
2) Scott Stevens - effectively ending Lindros' career and head shotting Kariya among many other head shots?
3) Mike Richards for smuggling drugs across the border?
4) Stoll for getting busted with drugs at a club
5) Ryan O'Reilly for drunk driving and crashing into a Tim Horton's?
6) Patrick Kane for allegations against him in Wisconsin?

There are a lot worse players that are honored on the cup than Tom Wilson. The Stanley Cup is there to record history (Good or bad)
Glenn Anderson for being a deadbeat dad. Mactavish for killing someone with his car. Claude Lemieux on general principle.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #397
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rocket Richard for looking so good.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post: