Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #41
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that Markstrom was incredible to start the season. How many games was it before a player from the opposing team beat Markstrom? 4 games? 5? IIRC, all the goals before then were the Flames scoring on themselves.

I do think, however, that Ward rode Markstrom too hard. I stated as much before the injury (before the collision) in one of the PGTs, after noticing some declining play. To me, he seemed to be slightly declining BEFORE that huge contact with Pearson(?? - I forgot who now).

I know Sutter likes to ride his goalies too, but IMO, it also drives them into the ground. Quick is a shell of what he used to be now. Was that at least partly because of how much he played? I don't know. I thought Kipper was driven into the ground here in Calgary too with having to play so many games because Calgary was never able to find a reliable backup.

Will Markstrom return to 'god mode' next season? I hope so, but he was rather fricken amazing to start, and I can't legitimately expect that.

Will he be this... 'ok'? He isn't bad. I don't know what people are seeing when they call him bad - I think he has been 'fine'. Like Moustache states, I also don't see a 6x6 goalie at the moment. So I am hoping for somewhere between 'god' and 'fine'. That's a reasonable expectation, and I am ok with it. If he looks pedestrian again (and I mean pedestrian, which does not mean bad), then I will really start to worry.

This has been an incredibly poor season all around. The team as a whole unable to generate much offensively. The team being atrocious defensively for 3/4 of a season. The goalie being 'not as good' as advertised for most of the season. Poorly coached to start. Adjusting to a new coach. Horrible 'puck luck'. Just.. an awful season for the most part. It isn't Markstrom's fault, and I give him a blank slate for next season as he was neither the cause of this terrible season, nor was he the only disappointing performer out there.

From the GM on down, there are very few players who don't deserve some of the blame. Very few. Hope for a bounce-back next season. If it doesn't happen, then I think I will start to worry.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No, it’s “if you ignore the games he shouldn’t have been in the lineup, let alone starting”.
Injuries happen in the NHL. You can’t pretend they won’t happen again so they’re part of his results.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Injuries happen in the NHL. You can’t pretend they won’t happen again so they’re part of his results.
It’s not the injuries. It’s the playing when he probably shouldn’t have been. But it seems they didn’t trust Rittich (versus, for example, how the Leafs trusted Campbell for Andersen’s minor injuries).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #44
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Personally, I consider Tkachuk's $9 mill QO requirement as getting paid.

But you're right. Markstrom's contract doesn't matter since Bedard's ECL will run out at the same time. Markstrom can walk and we can extend Bedard for max length.
That is getting paid, but at this point it would be such a huge overpayment that I can't see the Flames doing it. He'll either get another long-term contract or they'll move on. It sucks, but Treliving screwed up big time on that deal.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
That is getting paid, but at this point it would be such a huge overpayment that I can't see the Flames doing it. He'll either get another long-term contract or they'll move on. It sucks, but Treliving screwed up big time on that deal.
I bet they pay it, if they can’t get a long term contract and/or trade him pre season. They can always eat some salary and trade him mid season. Better than letting him walk.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote