Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #1541
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think they're estimating the cost per flight hour of the Gripen at $4700. The F-35 at up to 33,000 per hour. 18,000 per hour.
Thats unpossible.

It burns more than that in fuel in one hour.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #1542
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I'm starting to question that figure a bit, though I've seen it in a lot of places including the Gripen info site.

I also wanted to maybe lay out that the cost isn't around the E variant which is still in its infancy and development, but around the older models.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #1543
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1389955046771765250

Seems like an appropriate video

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #1544
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1389955046771765250

Seems like an appropriate video

What a ####ing nightmare of a campaign. The boys saw some of the best the Nazi military had to offer and still #### kicked them.

What is really impressive is that as a nation the Dutch still remember.

I never bought a beer when drinking with the Dutch signalers overseas. We have a family friend who was Dutch Marines. When I met him he knew I had been in and was all over me thanking me and the Canadian Military. This guy had a Military Dick that was huge, he was apart of the snatch teams in the Balkans. He was a full on soldier, yet he always goes out of his way to show his appreciation for the Canadian Military.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 11:04 PM   #1545
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What a ####ing nightmare of a campaign. The boys saw some of the best the Nazi military had to offer and still #### kicked them.

What is really impressive is that as a nation the Dutch still remember.

I never bought a beer when drinking with the Dutch signalers overseas. We have a family friend who was Dutch Marines. When I met him he knew I had been in and was all over me thanking me and the Canadian Military. This guy had a Military Dick that was huge, he was apart of the snatch teams in the Balkans. He was a full on soldier, yet he always goes out of his way to show his appreciation for the Canadian Military.
And underequipped, undersupplied, and under strength for most of it too. That was a tough as nails little army we fielded.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 11:18 PM   #1546
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Canada has built a reputation of a undermanned under equipt army that just makes sh$t happens when it hits the fan. The soldiers lying in rest in Europe Korea, Afghanistan are a testimony to the old saying "Don't piss off the Canucks".

Brilliantly trained, built from tough young men from the Prairies, the moutains, the Canadian shield to the Atlantic Provinces, you could see it in our national DNA. From hockey to football to business to war, this was a country that for a long time had a reputation of being nice until it was time to not be nice.

We terrified the Germans, we gained the respect of Korean and Chinese Troops, and were the thing that went bump in the night in Afghanistan. We protected the innocent in peacekeeping, all while being hamstrung by our own government and our own people.

You look at the campaigns in Italy, In the Netherlands, in the heart of Europe, our role in operation killer and the battle of hill 404, We held at Kapyong while our allies fled. You look at the actions of the Canadian Troops in the Medak Pocket a battle that has been, but should never be forgotten.

At one time we had one of the biggest navies in the world. Nobody wanted to mess with Canadian pilots, and our army had a reputation of living up to the finest tradition of men and woman in uniform.

Ok, I've had a few drinks and I'm rambling. but this is why I'm so frustrated and hurt over the disintigration of the military, this is why I'm so angry at what's happening recently, in terms of Vance, the Liberals and the sexual abuse of woman in the military. The senior officers in the military have not lived up to the traditions of previous generations. The Military and Dm took a lot of pride in trying to eat one of their own in Norman for political reasons. Its all gone so wrong.

I don't know how it can be fixed anymore, But a lot of men and woman, who died in uniform are being diservised right now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 12:36 AM   #1547
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd like to express my gratitude to posters here at CP who have served in the forces, and to those like me who are passionate on the subject and share their knowledge and enthusiasm on these boards. I believe it's an important part of keeping the legacy alive and respecting those who have given of themselves for our sake in this way.

I have had the good fortune in my life to travel and always make a point of visiting places of significance to Canadian military history when I do: Abbaye Ardenne, Dieppe and Kapyong stand out among them.

I used to volunteer as a host at the Museum of the Regiments and among the many phenomenal displays the one in the Highlanders' exhibit about the Walcheren Causeway left a huge impression on me. I haven't been to that part of Holland yet (one day I hope!) but I'm floored at how much the landscape has changed, from looking at it extensively on google earth. Related, if anyone here happens to fly IL2 Sturmovik: Great Battles please feel free to PM me - last year I spent a few hundred hours building a detailed recreation of Operation Infatuate, the invasion of Walcheren Island and could send you the files for it.

Last edited by RoadGame; 05-06-2021 at 12:39 AM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #1548
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada has built a reputation of a undermanned under equipt army that just makes sh$t happens when it hits the fan. The soldiers lying in rest in Europe Korea, Afghanistan are a testimony to the old saying "Don't piss off the Canucks".

Brilliantly trained, built from tough young men from the Prairies, the moutains, the Canadian shield to the Atlantic Provinces, you could see it in our national DNA. From hockey to football to business to war, this was a country that for a long time had a reputation of being nice until it was time to not be nice.

We terrified the Germans, we gained the respect of Korean and Chinese Troops, and were the thing that went bump in the night in Afghanistan. We protected the innocent in peacekeeping, all while being hamstrung by our own government and our own people.

You look at the campaigns in Italy, In the Netherlands, in the heart of Europe, our role in operation killer and the battle of hill 404, We held at Kapyong while our allies fled. You look at the actions of the Canadian Troops in the Medak Pocket a battle that has been, but should never be forgotten.

At one time we had one of the biggest navies in the world. Nobody wanted to mess with Canadian pilots, and our army had a reputation of living up to the finest tradition of men and woman in uniform.

Ok, I've had a few drinks and I'm rambling. but this is why I'm so frustrated and hurt over the disintigration of the military, this is why I'm so angry at what's happening recently, in terms of Vance, the Liberals and the sexual abuse of woman in the military. The senior officers in the military have not lived up to the traditions of previous generations. The Military and Dm took a lot of pride in trying to eat one of their own in Norman for political reasons. Its all gone so wrong.

I don't know how it can be fixed anymore, But a lot of men and woman, who died in uniform are being diservised right now.
Well said.

Don't forget WW1, Canadians invented and perfected the violent trench raid.

Also the battle of Kitchener Wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...heners%27_Wood

The first time the Germans used Gas.

The Canadians held, 10th & 16th Battalions CEF, suffered 75% casualties.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #1549
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1390418796536545285

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #1550
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well said.

Don't forget WW1, Canadians invented and perfected the violent trench raid.

Also the battle of Kitchener Wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...heners%27_Wood

The first time the Germans used Gas.

The Canadians held, 10th & 16th Battalions CEF, suffered 75% casualties.
The Battle of Hill 70 was probably one of the most successful Corps-level operations of the entire war. We all like to talk about Vimy, Ypres etc... but Canada's contribution to the 100 Days actually had a significant impact on ending the war and the Canadians, as usual, paid dearly for those victories.

It's a hell of an army. I echo you. It's disgusting to see the political and leadership class dismantle it in the most humiliating way possible.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 PM   #1551
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 05-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #1552
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
And underequipped, undersupplied, and under strength for most of it too. That was a tough as nails little army we fielded.
Those words ring true for all Canadian army deployments.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #1553
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...-war-criminals

This isn't a good look:

Quote:
Canadian soldiers complained to their commanders that the Iraqi troops they were training were war criminals who liked to show videos of their atrocities, including executing prisoners and raping a woman to death.

But, after reporting their concerns to the Canadian military leadership, the soldiers were told to continue the training and avoid watching the videos the Iraqis wanted to share with them, according to Canadian Forces documents obtained by this newspaper.

Although the incident took place Sept. 18, 2018, the troops from Garrison Petawawa continued to voice their concerns last year about whether their complaints about the training of potential war criminals were ever acted upon.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #1554
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...cise-1.5425559

Quote:
The Canadian Forces says it has charged one of its members in the death of an army reservist from British Columbia during a training exercise at a military base in Alberta last year.

The military says Cpl. Lars Callsen, of the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, has been charged with one count of negligence.

The military says the case is proceeding through the military justice system.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #1555
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I am fully on board with you're statement that the Forces leadership core and especially its senior officers core needs some serious reform. Just too many gross things happening and it goes to leadership. It goes to the DND, the DM, the offiices of the CDS, right down to unit command.

I can imagine that right now the moral overall is in the toilet. recruiting numbers are way down, and the government can't get out of its own way on procurement.

It feels like the late 1980's all over again where moral was incredibly low, the forces couldn't get the equipment, supplies or budget to actively train and they were taping equipment together with gaffer tape. At least when I was in at that time though, we got decent leadership from the senior officers in my unit.

We've been watching the rust out and disintegration of the forces now for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #1556
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any senior officer in the military that isn't a $hit stain?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/for...oved-1.6027995

Quote:
The major-general leading Canada's vaccine logistics at the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is stepping down under the cloud of a military investigation into a sexual misconduct allegation.

The Department of National Defence issued a terse three-line statement late Friday, saying that Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin is leaving his post and his future will be decided by the acting chief of the defence staff.

Neither the military nor the department would say what kind of investigation has been launched, whether it involves military police or is some other kind of internal review.

CBC News has confirmed the investigation involves an allegation of sexual misconduct that predates 2015 and the military's now defunct campaign, Operation Honour, which was intended to stamp out inappropriate behaviour. Three separate confidential sources, who were not authorized to speak publicly because of the sensitivity of the file, described it as an older claim, but declined to be more specific. The Globe and Mail was the first to report the allegation against Fortin was sexual in nature.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #1557
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Is there any senior officer in the military that isn't a $hit stain?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/for...oved-1.6027995
I'd imagine it's engrained and systematic.

Anecdotally, I knew a guy who was an officer in the Canadian armed forces and he would be the most courteous, respectful person of those he deemed to be equal or above him socially/professionally. But man you would see what a dick he could be to people like assistants at work or servers at restaurants etc. It was quite a striking contrast.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #1558
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Anecdotally, I knew a guy who was an officer in the Canadian armed forces and he would be the most courteous, respectful person of those he deemed to be equal or above him socially/professionally. But man you would see what a dick he could be to people like assistants at work or servers at restaurants etc. It was quite a striking contrast.
Officer Corps gonna Officer Corps

When we were overseas we had a young 2Lt fresh from college. He was young and spent more time with us hanging and drinking than the rest of the officers in our Coy. That lasted 2 weeks, then he got his dicked slapped and we never saw him hang with us again.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #1559
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

YAY

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/m..._JTMRC6QXfm4Lk

Quote:
A Canadian army gunner is facing more than a dozen charges after she allegedly served cannabis-laced cupcakes to her unsuspecting artillery unit during a live-fire exercise.

Court documents allege a sudden onset of paranoia, fatigue and confusion among the troops who ate the cupcakes, unaware of their psychoactive contents.

"Several affected members were allegedly unable to properly execute safe weapons and explosive handling drills," according to a military judge’s summary of the charges.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #1560
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

man.