Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2021, 11:32 PM   #1961
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Predators are drawn to institutions where they access to the vulnerable. The Boy Scouts of America have gone bankrupt, unable to defend all the claims.
You’re probably the most fair-minded poster on here.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #1962
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Predators are drawn to institutions where they access to the vulnerable. The Boy Scouts of America have gone bankrupt, unable to defend all the claims.
while this is true a fair number of pedophiles were/are drawn to the church because they thought it might help them contain their sinfulness
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:21 AM   #1963
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just more Christians doing God's work...utterly disgusting. These people should be in prison.
Quote:
In February 2020, a judge presiding over a class-action lawsuit on behalf of former students found the staff at Grenville Christian College responsible for systematically abusing girls and boys who attended the boarding school in the 1970s, '80s and '90s.

That abuse included repeated references to girls in their care as "sluts, whores, Jezebels [and] bitches in heat" and saying rape is the result of girls and boys being too "tempting to men."
Quote:
Others were told their parents were "evil" and said they endured exorcisms. Girls were chastised for behaving like "prostitutes" and being too tempting for men, while boys suspected of being gay were called "######s" and told they would be "damned to hell."

One former student said he endured 20 "conversion" sessions because staff believed he was gay. He was told it was his fault for "tempting" his abuser when he was sexually molested as a child.
Quote:
"The defence had no expert witnesses, because they could not find any expert witnesses willing to justify the abusive practices at the Grenville cult," said Andrew Hale-Byrne, who attended the school from 1988 to 1990.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...peal-1.6014135
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #1964
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the difference between a religion and a cult?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #1965
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Tax status.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #1966
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just more Christians doing God's work...utterly disgusting. These people should be in prison.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...peal-1.6014135
The sheer volume of pedophiles in the world is staggering to me. I read yesterday Germany broke up a CP website with 400,000 registered members.

If you lust after children, just do yourself and the world a favor and off yourself.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #1967
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Orgies.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #1968
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

My interview on Mythvision Podcast was published today. It was lots of fun, but I am a bit frustrated with how much I was stumbling over my words. Also, my camera sucks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 09:58 PM   #1969
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
My interview on Mythvision Podcast was published today. It was lots of fun, but I am a bit frustrated with how much I was stumbling over my words. Also, my camera sucks.

Nice goatee!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:21 PM   #1970
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Nice goatee!
COVID lock down has not been kind to me.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #1971
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

You look like you play bass in a rock band, not a Phd expert in theological topics.

Interesting stuff.

Also yes your camera sucks. Have you heard or HD?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #1972
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #1973
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You look like you play bass in a rock band, not a Phd expert in theological topics.

Interesting stuff.

Also yes your camera sucks. Have you heard or HD?
No kidding, right? I am in the process of cleaning that up for future projects. I have just received the go ahead from my supervisor to use some of my research time for creating new YouTube content, and I have plans on the go with Mythvision Podcast for several more future episodes.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #1974
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No kidding, right? I am in the process of cleaning that up for future projects. I have just received the go ahead from my supervisor to use some of my research time for creating new YouTube content, and I have plans on the go with Mythvision Podcast for several more future episodes.
If you're looking into equipment, may I make some suggestions?

For audio:
Blue Yeti X (Blue / Logitech)
Neewer Mic Boom Arm (Amazon)
Shock mount and windscreen (Amazon)

That's my setup. I swear by my Yeti X, the amount of control over the audio profiles you get with the Logitech G Hub software is nuts and you can download public Blue Voice profiles if you don't like the ones included. I'm a big fan of the "Audiobook Recording" profile myself.

As for video, I love my Logitech Brio 4K and would strongly recommend it. That said, you'll get amazing results using DSLRs as a webcam with an Elgato Cam Link should you want to invest that sort of money, and that seems to be what the majority of YouTubers / streamers are doing.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 11:14 PM   #1975
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I have set a premiere for my final counter-apologetics video tackling Inspiring Phliosophy's lame arguments regarding the internal consistency of the biblical book of Genesis.

Watch LIVE! on my channel, Thursday, 27 May @ 0930 PT:

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #1976
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don’t know if it belongs here or not, but I listened to this the other day and really enjoyed it. It’s time for the renaissance of nihilism.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/good-n...hers-1.6036427
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #1977
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Don’t know if it belongs here or not, but I listened to this the other day and really enjoyed it. It’s time for the renaissance of nihilism.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/good-n...hers-1.6036427
Sean Carroll says the meaning of life is Entropy. Like fractals we are complex structures formed in the process of exchanging energy, as a means of dissipating said energy evenly across all space.

The meaning of life isn't really the big question anymore, to an extent the question is where did all of the energy come from, more specifically where did all the antimatter go.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #1978
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Church cult that beats children with electrical chords, and brainwashes people into suffering excruciating deaths instead of surviving with medical care. What a great group to give tax free status to.

Quote:
It made national headlines in 2001 when social workers and police officers seized seven children from their Aylmer, Ont., home after learning their parents, who were members of the church, had disciplined them with a belt, fly swatter and electric cord.

The children spent about three weeks in foster care before being returned to their parents under a court-sanctioned deal, the Toronto Star reported at the time.

That same year, an 11-month-old girl named Julia Wiebe died in a Los Angeles suburb after getting treatable meningitis. The girl's parents — a couple from Aylmer, Ont. — relied on prayer instead of medicine and were ordered to serve 364 days in jail after her death, the Press-Enterprise newspaper reported.
Quote:
Wall said the church discourages getting medical care during times of critical illness, promoting a doctrine of divine healing instead. She alleged the more restrictive measures started for her about four to six months after joining the church.

"There's a lot of brainwashing that goes on there," said Wall, who alleges the church interpreted the Bible to suit the organization's doctrines. Before long, she said, she could only see the scripture in their view.

She alleged within a few months of joining the church, it felt like preachers turned their focus to instilling a fear of hell and enforcing the need for members of all ages to obey the ministry.

Members who spoke to CBC say they lived in fear of the apostles, who say they have the ability to take away someone's salvation, according to Wall.

"If you question the apostles, your salvation gets taken away from you. So you don't really dare, questioning them."
Quote:
Wall recalls in 2013, a member of the Manitoba congregation diagnosed with cancer died after choosing not to get treatment.

"She was in tremendous pain," Wall said.

"It was horrible seeing it. I remember when I saw that, oh, my fear of illnesses increased so bad.… It was like, every day, 'What if I get cancer? What if I get no treatment, no help, no nothing?'"
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...toba-1.6066688

I'm ashamed we allow this to exist in Canada.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #1979
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Church cult that beats children with electrical chords, and brainwashes people into suffering excruciating deaths instead of surviving with medical care. What a great group to give tax free status to.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...toba-1.6066688

I'm ashamed we allow this to exist in Canada.
We can be ashamed we give it tax status but it will exist in some form no matter what we do. Religion and superstition has always existed in the human mind. At some point this served an evolutionary purpose. You look at Covid anti Vax and a lot of it is non religious stupidity. At least these people are brainwashed with salvation and hell and are making rational decisions within the belief structure than garden variety idiots thinking their are chips in the vaccine.

The consequences of the irrational nature of the human brain is not really something to be ashamed of.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #1980
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
We can be ashamed we give it tax status but it will exist in some form no matter what we do. Religion and superstition has always existed in the human mind. At some point this served an evolutionary purpose. You look at Covid anti Vax and a lot of it is non religious stupidity. At least these people are brainwashed with salvation and hell and are making rational decisions within the belief structure than garden variety idiots thinking their are chips in the vaccine.

The consequences of the irrational nature of the human brain is not really something to be ashamed of.
It's abuse. People are being brainwashed and abused, and we are apparently allowing it. That's shameful. "Rational decisions" are not being made, they are being coerced. A decision can't be rational if it is based off of information given through indoctrination. That's not rational.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: