Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #21
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it’s been every month auto payment. My daughter turns 17 this summer and I think that’s when the payments stop.

I smartened up with my other kids and opened up self directed plans with Qtrade. Hopefully everything works out okay with this one. I’m also reading it’s pretty tough to get money out of CST when it’s time to collect, so I guess I have that fight to look forward to.

Last edited by V; 03-29-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Yeah, it’s been every month auto payment. My daughter turns 17 this summer and I think that’s when the payments stop.

I smartened up with my other kids and opened up self directed plans with Qtrade. Hopefully everything works out okay with this one. I’m also reading it’s pretty tough to get money out of CST when it’s time to collect, so I guess I have that fight to look forward to.
Well that part I have no experience with, just the issues in between.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #23
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post

My parents did the similar CST plan for me as a kid, then added a self-directed RESP with their bank later. The CST one was a bit more work to get the money out, but not dramatically so. They paid up without arguing. It was a pretty poor return over all, but that was the deal.

Granted that was >15 years ago...
Old 04-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #24
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
My parents did the similar CST plan for me as a kid, then added a self-directed RESP with their bank later. The CST one was a bit more work to get the money out, but not dramatically so. They paid up without arguing. It was a pretty poor return over all, but that was the deal.

Granted that was >15 years ago...
We had a more recent experience, but was very similar. The problem with the CST types is that there is no transparency and it was harder to get the money out. The timing sucked and it somehow took them 2+ months to process.

I would not recommend those to anyone. Use another, more standard financial institution, put money into a fund each month and you will be far happier.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #25
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
We had a more recent experience, but was very similar. The problem with the CST types is that there is no transparency and it was harder to get the money out. The timing sucked and it somehow took them 2+ months to process.

I would not recommend those to anyone. Use another, more standard financial institution, put money into a fund each month and you will be far happier.
Absolutely. I have a self directed RESP for my kids at a discount brokerage. The difference is huge.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: