Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #21
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano - Andersson
Valimaki - Tanev
Mackey - Kylington

Isn’t terrible we could probably find a decent vet for league min as well
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
And an Oileresque defence.
Impossible unless you're the oilers.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he going to cry into his 3 Cup Rings?

His Conn Smythe can probably contain his tears.

I'm not entirely sympathetic because going hell-for-leather to win for a decade was a successful strategy but it was always going to have a down-slope.

Its the cyclical nature of sports. And besides, what valuable input could he have from a Hockey Operations perspective? Has he been in contact with other GMs?

In his opinion did the Hawks not have to rebuild? Guys got old and expensive and injured and slow. The 2009 formula probably isnt going to work exactly the way it did when implemented in 2020.

And I hate to rag on Toews because he is one of my favourite players, but this just seems like uninformed whining.

Woe is Toews.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #24
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess there is an Athletic article that goes into more detail, but I don't have a subscription. Here is a link though for those that want to read it:

https://theathletic.com/2130237/2020...toews-its-sad/

The Score.ca is reporting that it isn't just Toews, but the core group of veterans including Kane, Keith and Seabrook.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2037605

I guess none of them want to part of a rebuild at this point in their careers.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I guess there is an Athletic article that goes into more detail, but I don't have a subscription.

The Score.ca is reporting that it isn't just Toews, but the core group of veterans including Kane, Keith and Seabrook.

Yes it goes into a fair bit more detail but it is centered around Toews not being consulted about a rebuild. It seems entitled but I do get it...Iggy was consulted and Gio would be too.

Seabrook I don't get...he's so over the hill not sure why anyone would care about his opinion at this point.

This part I found interesting from The article:

Quote:
The source close to the group said there’s a sense that Bowman is almost trying to force their hand, to make life miserable enough that they want out, allowing the team to truly tear it down to the studs and start over. From the outside, that feels a little melodramatic. But it doesn’t really matter. The core four are defiant and united that they’re not going anywhere.

“They’re saying, ‘We’re not going to be the ones who go,'” the source said. “We’re not playing that game.”

Last edited by flamesrule_kipper34; 10-12-2020 at 05:04 PM.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I guess there is an Athletic article that goes into more detail, but I don't have a subscription.

Well.....what exactly do they suggest? What ideas do they have? Maybe they have to fire up their DeLoreans to hit 88MPH and kidnap their younger selves?

Then either take less cash or waive your clauses.

They've won it all. What were they expecting? That this was going to last forever?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #27
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well.....what exactly do they suggest? What ideas do they have? Maybe they have to fire up their DeLoreans to hit 88MPH and kidnap their younger selves?

Then either take less cash or waive your clauses.

They've won it all. What were they expecting? That this was going to last forever?
Yeah, I don't really support the mindset either, but I would take advantage of it if it meant getting Kane or Toews. Either one would make this team instantly a contender IMO. Every team can use a star veteran forward of course, but we kind of need one to move forward. These young guys in the top 6 could really use that presence.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #28
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just beat the best team in the NHL in the qualifying round, clearly they have more to give and shouldn't be rebuilding.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #29
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monahan+Hanifin for Toews.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #30
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Hawks made Toews and Kane’s available at half cap, there would a ton of interest in them. They are proven playoff beasts.

The Hawks would want futures, but it could contain assets that could easily be flipped for futures.

If they were trade to the same team, it increases the chance they would waive to go there.

I actually see the Rangers being interested. Kane reunited with Panirin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #31
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
Monahan+Hanifin for Toews.

Half price Kane for that return. Chicago could flip those guys if they want for futures and continue the tank, and Calgary would have an extra $5m to shop at the discount store this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #32
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

All 4 of those guys could have taken less to allow their team to continue to hold onto good players. They got their max payout at the time, and now cry about a rebuild?

Sorry, not sorry.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #33
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe these guys should chip in and buy the team and then they can all play together and win the cup every year
Old 10-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #34
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Oh boo frickin hoo
I actually have no problem with what Toews has said

Am I wrong to think that the teams captain and leadership group are typically a part of these conversations? You would think Bowman would at least give Toews a heads up that he's taking the organization in a different direction

I understand that Chicago doesn't really look all that competitive, but it probably looks a lot different from a players perspective. After taking out McDavid in a series the players probably feel like they deserve another chance

When a guy captains your team to 3 Stanley Cups and the closest thing to a modern age dynasty, I think he deserves to at least be a part of the conversation
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #35
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were on an uptrend towards the end of the season and won the Qualifying round against the top contender. I think after that “success” they were hoping to try to build off of it this year not continue to tear down. Not sure what some people in this thread aren’t getting about that?
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #36
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
They were on an uptrend towards the end of the season and won the Qualifying round against the top contender. I think after that “success” they were hoping to try to build off of it this year not continue to tear down. Not sure what some people in this thread aren’t getting about that?
They should definitely come to Calgary then. A team that always refuses to rebuild.

I don't know who I would prefer out of Kane or Toews to be honest. Kane is a player that Johnny really looks up to and I think Kane could help him with his game a little. Tkachuk and Kane would be pretty lethal too.

But Toews on-ice leadership could do wonders for everyone, and of course center being the more critical position.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #37
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it's hard to rebuild when you have 60 point centers earning 10+ million per season....
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #38
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
And an Oileresque defence.
Nonsense.

Gio, Tanev, Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington is thin, but it doesn’t have an eating disorder.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #39
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many teams would love to add Toews, Kane or Keith but with their cap hits not many teams would be capable or willing.

Wishful thinking but maybe players should stop asking for so much money so they can afford to be on a winning team or make it easier to be traded if their team goes in a different direction.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #40
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of the reason they need to rebuild on the cheap is the $27m that those 4 guys are chewing up of the salary cap. If the CBA allowed renegotiation of contracts then the Hawks for sure would be talking to him and the other 3. And this reckoning has been delayed a year or two thanks to the Hossa superbug.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote