Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #381
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any team that has Sam Bennett as first line center misses the playoffs by a big margin. I've seen some really crazy ideas this off season, but promoting Sam Bennett to the first line is the absolute craziest. Wow. Just wow.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #382
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Line 1: Gaudreau/Bennett/Tkachuk

They better score a ton of goals because they'll be eaten alive defensively. And while Bennett looked good for the play-in and a couple PO games, I don't think he's proven he "has become the player he was projected to be". Not even close. He was projected to be a skilled forward with elite puck movement and on-ice vision. What he's become is a gritty forward who can bang in rebounds.

He is 23
23 people.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #383
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
He is 23
23 people.
I wonder when he proves he can play at a high level this year if New Era disappears like that WhereareuChrisOSullivan or whatever his name was did when Backlund broke out.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #384
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can the offseason start please, bring on something to actually review/discuss
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #385
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
He is 23
23 people.
Sam is 24. Hanifin is 23.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #386
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think a couple of tweaks up front might really be all they need to make a big change.

This is a top-nine that you could probably roll with ease... any of them could be the top line.

Domi - Bennett - Tkachuk
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Dube - Backlund - Mangiapane

All of a sudden I think that looks pretty good. Maybe you replace Gaudreau with somebody else, idk.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #387
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yikes.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #388
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I wonder when he proves he can play at a high level this year if New Era disappears like that WhereareuChrisOSullivan or whatever his name was did when Backlund broke out.
Do you ever tire of being a broken clock?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #389
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

*Long Read*

After a bit of time to exhale and reflect, here’s my dissection and suggestion to finally help this team get over the hump to reach contender status:

Third Line:
First off, I’d like to say that the playoffs this summer was not a complete failure as I think it uncovered quite a few things. For instance, a new look on the 3rd line with Lucic-Bennett-Dube. This line showed at the very least, that it can work in the playoffs. Will we see it work in the regular season? That remains to be seen; I could see Sam Bennett working there long term or maybe we see Dillon Dube move to center or perhaps we could see Derek Ryan tagging back in. Not sure, but the foundation is there for success.

Second Line:
In my opinion, the MMA line of Mangiapane - Backlund - Tkachuk is probably the best thing to have been discovered this season. They absolutely dominated in February/March and had a great showing in the playoffs before Tkachuk got injured. To have a line be successful in both the regular season and the playoffs is very important for this team going forward and to also have it be their shutdown line is even better. All that needs to be done is signing Mangiapane to a long term deal and they’ll be good for years.

Fourth Line & Bottom Pairing Defense:
I don’t think much needs to be said about the 4th line and bottom defensive pairing. Personally, I’d re-sign Tobias Reider and the slotting of Derek Ryan as the #4 center should be an advantage most nights. I think Jankowski still has potential, but at what they need to qualify him at, will be too expensive. So personally, I’d trade him for futures and sign someone cheaper, faster, who can get in the forecheck, be hard and make the 4th line difficult to play against.

Goaltending:
Pretty simple for me, I wouldn’t waste too much time, the goaltending worked this season and came at a relative bargain. I’d try to go with the same tandem and hope that Rittich can continue to develop while Talbot fills in the gaps. A true 1A-1B workload would work best for their play and their egos I think.

First Line:
In regards to the first line who was so disappointingly ineffective this post season (especially at even strength); I’m pretty certain they to blow it up. Gaudreau and Monahan work in the regular season, but not in the playoffs which just isn’t going to cut it. If I’m Treliving, I’m keeping Lindholm because of his contract, his versatility and his complete play. His ability to play wing or up the middle where he sort of reminds me of a poor man’s Jonathan Toews gives Treliving flexibility here. He can find 2 new wingers, or if Treliving can find himself a true unicorn in that of an elite #1 center, than yes, absolutely move Lindholm to the wing. But all this is predicated on what is and isn’t available on the market.

New look on Defense:
With how many defensemen this team will be losing this offseason. It might be interesting to see this team go a different direction on the backend. Having watched Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar and Miro Heiskanen dominate in these playoffs as youngsters makes me think this team’s blue line is missing that elite young potential #1 defenseman as well.
I don’t think there’s anybody on this team that’s even close to their levels. Perhaps Rasmus Andersson is the closest, Valimaki I suppose has some potential, but realistically it should’ve been Noah Hanifin. Unfortunately, he’s been pretty underwhelming for most of his career up to date and I don’t think he’s lived up to the hype, especially from that special draft class of 2015. So if I’m Treliving, I’m also strongly thinking about upgrading at this position because I don’t think Hanifin can be a driver at the #3 position let alone #1 or #2. I don’t think it’s a surprise at all that the 4 current Western Conference finalists all have young potential Norris winners in the making.

With all that said, right now I believe the Flames will have roughly $25M after re-signings with 4 major positions to fill. In my opinion, if Treliving can find a way to build a completely revamped top line and a new top 4 pairing (ideally top pairing), then I think this team has a chance to go deeper. This could ultimately prove to be the pivotal turning point for this organization; excellent moves can set this organization on a path to the top or otherwise, we’ll be relegated back to our typical mediocre status while we watch Vancouver, Las Vegas, Colorado, Dallas and possibly St Louis dominate the conference for the next decade.

Primary Objectives:

- New First Line: Preferably a skilled power forward who can skate and a playmaker who can quarterback a powerplay

- New Top Four Pairing: Preferably a rover with a hard shot who can hold on to the puck, walk the line, dart in and out efficiently, make plays and who’s quick enough to get back into position defensively.
For the #4 slot, a strong, mobile shutdown defenseman with some snarl would be ideal at this position. Someone who can stop a cycle, who’s positionally and fundamentally sound.

______ - Lindholm - _______
EatBread - Backlund - Tkachuk
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Reider - Ryan - ______
Gawdin

Giordano - Andersson
______ - ______
Valimaki - ______
Kylington

Talbot
Rittich

Trade Bait: Gaudreau, Monahan, Hanifin, 19th OA
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #390
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with the bulk of the above, but I don't trade the 19th pick this year unless it's part of a package landing us a #1C
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #391
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Agree with the bulk of the above, but I don't trade the 19th pick this year unless it's part of a package landing us a #1C
That’s what I would do myself. This team needs to start going for quality over quantity and they also need to start going all in or all out. Go for broke and if this team stinks in 5 years, then whatever, finally draft in the top 3 and pick up an absolute franchise changer or two.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #392
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like we should get a better idea of our starting lineup in the next couple weeks.

We have some holes to fill:

Gaudreau-Monahan-
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-

Gio-
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington

Rittich

I don’t have Lindholm up top as I would like a new look there if possible..
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #393
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I feel like we should get a better idea of our starting lineup in the next couple weeks.

Gaudreau-Monahan-
Mangiapane-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-

Gio-
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington

Rittich

Hoffman or maybe Toffoli would be OK, except I worry about defence. Alternatively you could switch Tkachuk and Gaudreau, leave Lindholm up and get a new 2nd line RW (or elevate Dube or Mangiapane and get a new 3RW).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #394
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel like a goalie and defenseman should be our priority, which I think would mean not upgrading the top 6, but maybe getting an additional 3rd liner
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #395
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Word is Hall may have come to a short term deal with the Avs
GIODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #396
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIODUDE View Post
Word is Hall may have come to a short term deal with the Avs
Under the table? How exactly when we aren't in negotiation time yet.

I wouldnt go taking hockey buzz and Eklund as gospel.

Right now the extent of what we can know to be factual through sources in the know is how high the interest within a team to go after a specific UFA tomorrow might be. Impossible for anything to be "close" right now.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-08-2020 at 12:25 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #397
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is my hopes for the offseason and team next year.

Trade 1
To Bruins: Ryan, Mangipane, Hanifin
To Flames: N.Ritchie, Debrusk, Carlo

Trade 2
To Flyers: Gaudreau, Kylington
To Flames: Sanheim, Frost, 1st

Signings: Hall, Markstrom, Stetcher/Benning, Hinestroza

Roster

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Debrusk
Dube-Bennett-Lucic
Richie-Frost-Hinestroza

Giordano-Andersson
Sanheim-Carlo
Valimaki-Benning/Stetcher

Markstrom
Rittich
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #398
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

Gaudreau-Monahan-
Mangiapane-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-

Gio- Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington

Markstrom
Rittich

A little bit of a bump, but thought this post was a great place to highlight what's been done so far. Robinson was signed to a one way, so I am going to assume he's penciled in as 4th line or 13th forward. Rinaldo brings bursts of energy, but fades away in a hurry. I don't think he's a regular nhl'er.

With ~5 million left and Mangiapane and Kylington to sign, we'd have to fill in a spot or two internally as it stands. Trading is always an option, but if we trade a roster player to create cap space to sign a free agent, we're no further ahead as far as roster filling goes.

Bottom line, it really appears as if someone from the farm will need to fill a roster spot. PTO's or a league minimum free agent is also possible.

Who do you think the Flames are hoping will step up?
Ruzicka
Gawdin
Phillips
Tuulola
Philp

Ruzicka is big and was getting a lot of praise at the end of the year and start of the bubble, so I'm personally leaning in that direction. But, look forward to someone with better knowledge on the AHL guys to provide thoughts.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #399
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gawdin is the most NHL ready and suited to a 4th line spot.
Phillips I see being a first call up kinda guy this year.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: