Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #161
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

But trust me I'm more than ready for the normal regular season let down. I just hope the team gives the situation oxygen to grow him as a center and find out.
This. Of course he can't play with the same intensity for 82 regular season games. But let's give him the opportunity to develop as the C he keeps showing us that he can be.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #162
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conroy on 960 today said that management has always seen Sam Bennett as a C but they haven't had a coach who wanted to play him at C and called it frustrating. Recognized that he has been moved around everywhere in the lineup with no stability and really wants to see him at C in the regular season.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #163
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Uh, Craig, who has been hiring the coaches?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #164
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Well at least we can put Treliving meddling in coaching decisions to rest!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #165
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I can offer this article, which I read a few years ago, but sticks with me, and I think of it when I see such discussions

“Why facts don’t change our minds”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ange-our-minds
Here are some facts for you.

Point production vs the rest of the NHL by year.

19/20 tied 461st.
18/19 tied 292nd.
17/18 tied 300th
16/17 tied 280th
15/16 tied 191st

262 players have produced more over the 5 years combined.

Average finish is 305th.

This version of Bennett seemingly gets ignored because of 10 playoff games though....or 15 or 24 or whatever.

Why facts don't change our minds indeed.

Im all about seeing what he does next year, yet again, with a good playoff run behind him, but its pretty obvious why many are skeptical anything changes moving forward. Facts tell us that.

Really though, if you want to get value for him in a deal...it likely has to be this off season. Because if he repeats his regular season results (entirely possible and even likely if we are using facts as the bar) he wont be worth jack squat next year.

I have come around to keeping him over dealing him myself as i dont think he brings much back individually. He also really did look like he might be figuring a couple things out after the re-start as well. He still has big warts in his game but overall he has made a small improvement.

However if he is the hill to die on in a deal as a piece to get something else done that fills one of the large holes on this club? Sorry...he has to go.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #166
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

19/20 tied 461st.
18/19 tied 292nd.
17/18 tied 300th
16/17 tied 280th
15/16 tied 191st

Average finish is 305th.

This version of Bennett seemingly gets ignored because of 10 playoff games though....or 15 or 24 or whatever.

Why facts don't change our minds indeed.

Im all about seeing what he does next year, yet again, with a good playoff run behind him, but its pretty obvious why many are skeptical anything changes moving forward. Facts tell us that.

Really though, if you want to get value for him in a deal...it likely has to be this off season. Because if he repeats his regular season results (entirely possible and even likely if we are using facts as the bar) he wont be worth jack squat next year.

I have come around to keeping him over dealing him myself as i dont think he brings much back individually. He also really did look like he might be figuring a couple things out after the re-start as well. He still has big warts in his game but overall he has made a small improvement.

However if he is the hill to die on in a deal as a piece to get something else done that fills one of the large holes on this club? Sorry...he has to go.
No that version of Bennett does not get ignored. We all acknowledge it, and a good number of people believe a lot of that has to do with him playing on the wing of a player who isn't an NHL player this past year, or loaded with other players throughout the years who are either out of the league the next season or Oilers leeching off McDavid and Draisaitl, as well as Sam's own immaturity and frustration on the ice.

Ignoring all the facts and then going about on about how "facts don't change our mind" is missing the argument that most of the people who believe in Bennett are actually making. That his underlying numbers paint a picture that better circumstances will improve things for him and for the team. The first real opportunity for better circumstances (consistent line mates that are of good quality, and playing his natural position) went off exactly as those who believe better circumstances will help would have hoped. Sam got an opportunity and nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Uh, Craig, who has been hiring the coaches?
Yeah, I'm thinking the organization is well aware of their own failings in the coaching department at this stage. Time for them to do a proper search.

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-28-2020 at 02:50 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #167
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
No that version of Bennett does not get ignored. We all acknowledge it, and a good number of people believe a lot of that has to do with him playing on the wing of a player who isn't an NHL player this past year, or loaded with other players throughout the years who are either out of the league the next season or Oilers leeching off McDavid and Draisaitl, as well as Sam's own immaturity and frustration on the ice.

Ignoring all the facts and then going about on about how "facts don't change our mind" is missing the argument that most of the people who believe in Bennett are actually making. That his underlying numbers paint a picture that better circumstances will improve things for him and for the team. The first real opportunity for better circumstances (consistent line mates that are of good quality, and playing his natural position) went off exactly as those who believe better circumstances will help would have hoped. Sam got an opportunity and nailed it.

Yeah, I'm thinking the organization is well aware of their own failings in the coaching department at this stage. Time for them to do a proper search.
So again...he will be better with better linemates.... is this the argument?

No kidding.

Hey...why dont they get everyone better line mates and then everyone will be better?

He is a guy who should be making others better, not a the guy who should need the help, though i am very aware he is incapable of that.

Again tho...will see what happens the 6th time around, but no one should be holding their breath that it will be some huge improvement.

17 G and 23 A sounds reasonable.

Last year the 75th scoring C was on a 43 pt pace.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #168
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If all we had to do in order to know the future, was to look at the past, the future would be pretty fricking boring.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #169
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I honestly don't see a lot of Bennett hopers guaranteeing anything to be honest.

Just some hope that a change in position (Treliving, Ward and Conroy have all pointed to this as well) could bring out more of the player than we've seen.

I've been finger crossing for years that the underlying data would lead to a pop only to be disappointed. At least this time around there is a) a larger sample size b) a move to center c) chemistry with linemates suggesting that time may be now.

He's spent 46% of his ice time over the last three years playing left wing on a line with Mark Jankowski ... a player that had trouble getting in the lineup over Zach Rinaldo in these playoffs.

The better linemates argument isn't a hard one to make in his case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #170
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So again...he will be better with better linemates.... is this the argument?

No kidding.

Hey...why dont they get everyone better line mates and then everyone will be better?

He is a guy who should be making others better, not a the guy who should need the help, though i am very aware he is incapable of that.

Again tho...will see what happens the 6th time around, but no one should be holding their breath that it will be some huge improvement.

17 G and 23 A sounds reasonable.

Last year the 75th scoring C was on a 43 pt pace.
His underlying numbers are strong, while his lines on ice shooting % is in the toilet. There's evidence based arguments that he's been deployed poorly by poor coaches on a team with poor depth and that putting him in a better position may help him and the team.

His linemates have been so bad that they've been knocked off the top two lines because players better than him can't make them work, so don't go off saying Bennett should be Neal's saviour when Connor McDavid can't even do it. Brouwer couldn't play with Monahan or Backlund, yet Bennett as a rookie was supposed to buoy him? No. Bennett has played the vast majority of his minutes with players who were unredeemable.

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-28-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #171
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I honestly don't see a lot of Bennett hopers guaranteeing anything to be honest.

Just some hope that a change in position (Treliving, Ward and Conroy have all pointed to this as well) could bring out more of the player than we've seen.

I've been finger crossing for years that the underlying data would lead to a pop only to be disappointed. At least this time around there is a) a larger sample size b) a move to center c) chemistry with linemates suggesting that time may be now.

He's spent 46% of his ice time over the last three years playing left wing on a line with Mark Jankowski ... a player that had trouble getting in the lineup over Zach Rinaldo in these playoffs.

The better linemates argument isn't a hard one to make in his case.
Curious what you mean by the bolded?

As for Jankowski sucking the life out of those he played with...absolutely. He played WAY more than he should have. He didnt average more than 9:00 a night at even strength mind you while Sam was closer to 12.

Im just not sure the Bennett should play ahead of Ryan. Ryan is a better overall player and a way way better C. Not sure why he gets dumped... just because. Though with the age difference and if one thinks Bennett is a long term guy, then i guess they have to see what they have there...again.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #172
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmm, I would play Bennett over Ryan, but the question gijng forward might be whether the organization should prioritize developing Dube or Bennett at center if they are competing for the same icetime.

Which is a question I don't really have a strong opinion about
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #173
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Curious what you mean by the bolded?

As for Jankowski sucking the life out of those he played with...absolutely. He played WAY more than he should have. He didnt average more than 9:00 a night at even strength mind you while Sam was closer to 12.

Im just not sure the Bennett should play ahead of Ryan. Ryan is a better overall player and a way way better C. Not sure why he gets dumped... just because. Though with the age difference and if one thinks Bennett is a long term guy, then i guess they have to see what they have there...again.
A four game sweep or a five game loss to the Avalanche vs a ten game tournament sample size this year.

Plus with consistent linemates and not moving around.

Ryan is a good PK guy and he makes people around him better, but that line was better in those ten games with Bennett driving the play than they were with Ryan.

If you bring in Bennett's intangibles I don't think it's all that close (in those ten games).
Old 08-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #174
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

19/20 tied 461st.
18/19 tied 292nd.
17/18 tied 300th
16/17 tied 280th
15/16 tied 191st

Average finish is 305th.
I guess it comes down to how much value one places in "point production" - a stat influenced by many different factors - both those within a player's control and those outside of it.

I don't expect to sway you on what you value. But I know what I value, and it's not that, because that is the sort of thing that sees players in favourable situations flourish, and players in less favourable situations "underperform".

Personally, I think primary points rates at 5v5 paint the picture of Sam Bennett:

Among forwards

2019-20
Among 318 forwards with 550+ minutes TOI
1.11 P1/60 - ranked 215th
By no means a great year, but this primary point production was similar to guys like Sean Monahan, Tyler Seguin, and Claude Giroux, none of whom had particularly productive years at 5v5 themselves because variance is a thing. His primary point production would fall into the middle-of-the-pack for third line territory.

2018-19
Among 337 forwards with 600+ minutes TOI
1.42 P1/60 - ranked 127th
A better, more productive year, which makes sense as he got to spend more time not with Tobias Reider. His primary point production fell into the upper half of second line territory, as there are 186 top six forwards in the NHL. This primary point production was similar to guys like Nazem Kadri, Derek Ryan, Brayden Schenn, William Karlsson, and Nikolaj Ehlers. Yes, Derek Ryan also had a very productive year for a bottom six forward, centering Andrew Mangiapane and a midas-touch Garnet Hathaway on a line that outproduced their role.

2017-18
Among 335 forwards with 600+ minutes TOI
1.04 P1/60 - ranked 224th
Not a productive year. No one is pretending it was. His primary assists rate was the lowest of his career. Dig deeper though. When Bennett was on the ice, the four skaters on the ice with him had 28.5 expected goals, but only scored 19 goals. You may recall this was the season Bennett spent a lot of time with guys like Jagr, Lazar, and Hathaway, and none of those three had much in terms of finishing skill.
Nonetheless, this is still top nine primary point production, as there were 279 top nine forwards in the NHL. Basically - Sam Bennett produced at a level of a third liner, in a year where he played with non-NHLer, and he himself shot career low percentages.

2016-17
Among 317 forwards with 600+ minutes TOI
0.9 P1/60 - ranked 248th
A rough year again. No one is pretending it was a strong year for Bennett. But then you look at where his most common linemate ranks. Troy Brouwer produced 0.75 primary points /60 - good for 307th in the NHL. That Gulutzan stuck to this for 80%+ of the season. And finally was replaced with Alex Chiasson, who produced at a far more respectable 0.96 primary points / 60. And remember, this is the Alex Chiasson who spent a large chunk of the season on our top line with Gaudreau and Monahan. And Bennett was essentially playing his first full season down the middle, so some rough patches were to be expected. Nonetheless, whereas Brouwer produced like a fourth liner, Bennett's primary point production still places him in the top 270 forwards - a third liner. Which.. was his designated role from the beginning of the season to the end, and even in the playoffs where he was arguably our best centreman.

2015-16
Among 311 forwards with 600+ minutes TOI
1.42 P1/60 - ranked 85th
Whoa! The one season Sam Bennett was utilized in a top six role, his primary point production was not only firmly in the top six territory, but actually top line territory as there were only ninety top line forwards in the NHL.

Career playoffs
368.8 minutes
9 primary poitns
that is a rate of 1.46 primary points / 60 in the playoffs. It's not spectacular by any means. But it's top six production. Much like his 2015-16 and 2018-19 seasons.

I think you look at his 2015-16, 2016-17, and 2019-20 seasons and you HAVE to ask - are players like Troy Brouwer, Curtis Lazar, whatever was left of Jagr, a rookie Hathaway, Tobias Reider - are these the types of producers that would benefit their linemate's point production - whoever it is? Is any player - whoever it is - going to "produce" at their expected levels for their roles with these players?

If you refuse to at least acknowledge the validity of that question, then I'm talking to a wall.

It's not a matter of Bennett needing a linemate to drag him up. It's a matter of Bennett needing linemates to not drag him down. I'd argue that given the linemates he's had, he's probably outproduced realistic expectations for the role every year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-28-2020 at 04:18 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #175
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Hmm, I would play Bennett over Ryan, but the question gijng forward might be whether the organization should prioritize developing Dube or Bennett at center if they are competing for the same icetime.

Which is a question I don't really have a strong opinion about
This isn't a bad question, but time will tell the story. I hope those two stay together next year. If they really can keep building chemistry and continue to show well at 5v5, it's a big step in the right direction for this team.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #176
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Conroy on 960 today said that management has always seen Sam Bennett as a C but they haven't had a coach who wanted to play him at C and called it frustrating. Recognized that he has been moved around everywhere in the lineup with no stability and really wants to see him at C in the regular season.
Ugh. This org makes me wanna pull my hair out.

Just complete idiots sometimes
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #177
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Ugh. This org makes me wanna pull my hair out.

Just complete idiots sometimes
Bill Peters is the coach who put cup winning centre Eric Staal on the left wing.

We hired him after that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #178
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

First off, I believe that Bennett is a much better C than winger and that the time to give him a lengthy opportunity in a prominent role has come.

If the Flames are unable to bring in another top 6 forward, I wonder if a new mix of the 2nd and 3rd lines may be worth an experiment.

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Dube Bennett Tkachuk
Mangiapane Backlund Ryan
Lucic Gawdin Reider

The Dube-Bennett pairing was a success and I think that Tkachuk may suit their style by creating space like Lucic did and controlling the puck even better down low. I am also curious to see what happens to Tkachuk's production when he is not playing on a shutdown line. Obviously the concern here would be that Bennett and Dube have not yet produced at a level that justify playing with a star like Tkachuk, but both players have shown high end offensive ability at other levels and frankly I think Dube's potential is still underrated by a lot of fans.

A Mangiapane-Backlund-Ryan line would be a fantastic third line, I think. All 3 players can play well in all 3 zones and have demonstrated good offensive ability. There would be a right and left handed C on the ice for the large number of defensive zone draws that they would take and Mangiapane has proven chemistry with both Ryan and Backlund.

I'm not sure what to do with Lucic. He was very good for most of the return to play and playoffs, but I think that Ryan is a better player at this point and between the 2 I would have Looch in a mentor/energy line role.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post: