Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #41
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^

Who is taking dzone faceoffs at the right endzone faceoff spot??
Old 11-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too am in the camp that Bennett can play C. His style is much more conducive to C than W. And his defensive play has improved. Not saying he's there yet, but I think he can get there.

I also agree that he should play with guys with speed.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #43
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett has easily been one of our 6 best forwards so far this season.

Even if Neal finds his offensive game Bennett will still be one of our 7 most important forwards.

His game has defiantly taken a step forward this year and I keep picking him up in my pool because I just sense he is on the verge of busting out offensively. I will continue to patiently wait for that haha..

I agree with the OP that our 3rd line center has been the forward groups biggest weakness as I don't think Ryan or Jankowski have played well enough as of yet.

Perhaps trying him out at center again could make sense and if so I don't see why the Backlund-Frolik duo couldn't continue to do what they have in the past and help bring along a rookie:

Dube-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

We're gonna need to get some offensive production out of Neal and Bennett in order to stay competitive as the top 4-5 guys can't keep carrying the load.

To me the most obvious choice would be to:

a) put one of them with Backlund and Tkachuk
b) put them both with Tkachuk
c) find a better fit at center for the 3rd line (could be Bennett himself)
d) combination of a) and c)

Ryan, Jankowski, Czarnik, Frolik and Hathaway all seem to be struggling/are not natural offensively..

I know Bennett and Neal have similar numbers but it's different with them because they seem to be all around the net and are getting looks.

We need to find the right chemistry in our middle 6 and it starts with finding a fit at center on line 3 and RW on line 2 IMO.

What pieces fit with Backlund, Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal and how?

Until we figure that out I fear our depth will continue to struggle.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #44
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Frankly, so far this season, Backlund has not shown us much offensively as the 2C, just a few more assists than Bennett with more skilled linemates and much more PP time. Maybe it's time to give Bennett a chance to center Tkachuk and Neal, and put Backlund between Frolik on the left and Ryan or Czarnik on the right for the shut-down line. Then put the Bennett line out with 2 defensemen for the 2nd PP unit, since the current unit is doing absolutely nothing, and having a different look could help.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #45
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

It's interesting ... when you look at the numbers this year Sam Bennett its pretty apparent that he and Derek Ryan are complete opposites.

Bennett is a high event player ... both ways
Ryan is a low event player ... both ways.

The other option at third line center Jankowski between the two

Bennett is the only "real" player to be positive in high danger chances though. The other two have missed too many games (Hamonic and Czarnik).

Bennett:
+14.2 / 60 minutes
-11.7 / 60 minutes
= +2.5

Ryan:
+6.6
=-5.6

Jankowski
+10.3
=-4.1

Bennett certainly drives more offence when on the ice, may be more suited to center the third line, especially if the 3M line isn't scoring.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Bennett has easily been one of our 6 best forwards so far this season.

Even if Neal finds his offensive game Bennett will still be one of our 7 most important forwards.

His game has defiantly taken a step forward this year and I keep picking him up in my pool because I just sense he is on the verge of busting out offensively. I will continue to patiently wait for that haha..

I agree with the OP that our 3rd line center has been the forward groups biggest weakness as I don't think Ryan or Jankowski have played well enough as of yet.

Perhaps trying him out at center again could make sense and if so I don't see why the Backlund-Frolik duo couldn't continue to do what they have in the past and help bring along a rookie:

Dube-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

We're gonna need to get some offensive production out of Neal and Bennett in order to stay competitive as the top 4-5 guys can't keep carrying the load.

To me the most obvious choice would be to:

a) put one of them with Backlund and Tkachuk
b) put them both with Tkachuk
c) find a better fit at center for the 3rd line (could be Bennett himself)
d) combination of a) and c)

Ryan, Jankowski, Czarnik, Frolik and Hathaway all seem to be struggling/are not natural offensively..

I know Bennett and Neal have similar numbers but it's different with them because they seem to be all around the net and are getting looks.

We need to find the right chemistry in our middle 6 and it starts with finding a fit at center on line 3 and RW on line 2 IMO.

What pieces fit with Backlund, Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal and how?

Until we figure that out I fear our depth will continue to struggle.
Dube-Backlund-Frolik is a hellofa shutdown line IMO.

But I'm not sure Bennett's pace of play is a match for Neal and Tkachuk. But you never know.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #47
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
But I'm not sure Bennett's pace of play is a match for Neal and Tkachuk. But you never know.
I wanted to see Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal when we first made the signing but now that we've seen some of the early returns, I'm starting to think Tkachuk and Neal may be too collectively slow to be on the same line, regardless of who is centering.

Tiny sample size that could change, but considering Tkachuk-Backlund usually dominate with a speedier RW, I believe that's what Tkachuk needs opposite of him. Someone who can generate their own rushes out of the walls. Frolik and Czarnik can do that. I have another idea too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
As for Jankowski - I still think his ceiling is that of a #2 center. He just needs time to grow, that's all. I bet that Jankowski finishes off with 15 goals and 15+ assists this year.
I'm very conflicted with Jankowski. I've been one of his biggest supporters since he was a prospect - I want to see him succeed as a top six forward as I think the skill is there and the tools are there. I do think there're situations where he could succeed - in particular being on a scoring line with Gaudreau where he could get away with a bit less defensively, but we have that role saturated right up currently. I consider him a center but I think if the Flames want to maximize their roster as constructed they should consider letting Janko fly on the wing. Maybe he'd get more breakaways there too.

One combo I've tossed around in my head is:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Jankowski
Czarnik-Bennett-Neal
Dube-Ryan-Frolik

Here I see Jankowski as being a version of Frolik that finishes. I think they're comparable skaters and Jankowski's reach could create some extra opportunities too. On paper, I think Janko could give you 25 / 20 in this role.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-01-2018 at 02:51 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Bennett - Lindholm

(when you need offense)
Old 11-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #49
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Bennett - Lindholm

(when you need offense)

I just don't see peters actually giving Neal that chance up there.

and currently you can't break up Monahan, Gaudreau and lindholm as they are playing very good hockey.

The guy who still looks like he shouldn't be in a top 6 role or even up on that backlund line is frolik, he has looked to be a below average player so far this season to my eye test but maybe thats just me. Regardless, that doesn't really give bennett a spot in the top six anyways although I've always thought Backlund thachuk and Bennett would make an excellent line.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund hasn't deserved top 6 this year either - don't know if he's hurt or what.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #51
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd opine that Ryan is also not as impactful offensively at centre as Bennett could be or has been. That's strictly from watching games, not from looking at advanced stats, so I don't know whether the available evidence supports my guess.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #52
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund hasn't deserved top 6 this year either - don't know if he's hurt or what.
Something is off. He passes off on good scoring chances or takes an abysmal shot. I wonder if it is wrist injury as well.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #53
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It would be really interesting to see waht Bennett can do with some more ice time. He has looked far more dangerous than backlund all season and I believe an extra 3 minutes of ice per night would tip the scales further in Bennetts favour in terms of impact and point generation
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #54
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Boomer and Warrener (about a week or so ago) noticed at a charity function that Backlund wasn't shaking hands with his right hand. I would guess he has hurt it somehow and can't squeeze with it, hence the poor shot quality and the increase in passing.

Now I'm not saying this is what he has, just a personal anecdote:

I had issues like that when I broke my thumb. It wasn't bad enough that I needed a hand cast or anything, but I was limited with how I could use it. Couldn't shake hands, couldn't grip properly etc.

Last edited by Toonage; 11-01-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #55
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nah

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #56
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When Bennett was in the box, looks like the whole team picked up its play. I really like Sam and wish him success, but imo it's time to cut ties. Package him with Stone for a higher quality forward - are there any teams in need of defense with excess good forwards?
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #57
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ stupid post
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #58
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

*Triggered*

Doig, yeah he was in the box cause he got 17 minutes for kickstarting the team.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #59
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
When Bennett was in the box, looks like the whole team picked up its play. I really like Sam and wish him success, but imo it's time to cut ties. Package him with Stone for a higher quality forward - are there any teams in need of defense with excess good forwards?
I'm one of the biggest Bennett naysayers on the board, but this is complete nonsense.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #60
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
Clown shoes
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote