Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #21
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this a lot for Chicago. Saad should do okay in a smaller role on the Avs, but Zadorov is a real solid defenceman. If I were Colorado I’d think I’d need him more. Perhaps this is future thinking about who they’d have to protect next year but I’d take Zadorov over Saad any day of the week knowing Colorado’s immediate needs.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:22 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
It will be Colorado. Makar will win multiple Norris trophies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Perhaps the Avs have been told they are out on Hall.

This speculation pleases me.
They have $10M left but they have 3 RFAs to sign, at somewhere between $4-5M.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:30 AM   #23
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Saad is a hard working, useful winger, if his hands could match his speed, he'd be a superstar,, but, with this move, even retaining $1M of Saad's salary, the 'Hawks clear $5M in cap space, before re-signing Zadorov. I have little confidence in Bowman, and fear that he will overpay.

Gilbert was not going to get a look, as the 'Hawks are fairly deep at Forward, even after dumping some other young forwards, like Dylan Sikura.

But, the 'Hawk D corps is a mess, and Zadorov will slot in as a top 4 D-Man, and I believe pressure will be on him to get off to a good start. Even though Panarin was well accepted by 'Hawk fans,many of those fans are notoriously impatient with Russian players on this roster, with Zhamnov never getting the respect he deserved, after the Roenick for Zhamnov trade, Mironov and Karpotsev being absolute disasters in their 'Hawk tenures. And Khabibulin not living up to inflated hopes.

For myself, I am not a fan of "grit" for 'grit's" sake, and hope the new guy brings more than just a physical presence. He has got to actually be able to improve our defense. He was a 1st round pick, although he hasn't performed consistently to those expectations.

Moving Saad leaves some holes on the 'Hawk special teams. He was 2nd rotation on the PK, and was the net front guy on the 2nd PP. Some 'Hawk fans expected better stats, but, IMO, Saad was brought in for one purpose, to free up Toews on that line, from having to do all the mucking on the boards, as well as play shut down D as a Center.. and given Toews' improved stats, last season, I credit some of that to playing with Saad. Again, a hole opens up that the 'Hawks had trouble filling before reacquiring Saad.

Last edited by thefoss1957; 10-12-2020 at 02:35 AM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #24
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Saad is a hard working, useful winger, if his hands could match his speed, he'd be a superstar,, but, with this move, even retaining $1M of Saad's salary, the 'Hawks clear $5M in cap space, before re-signing Zadorov. I have little confidence in Bowman, and fear that he will overpay.

Gilbert was not going to get a look, as the 'Hawks are fairly deep at Forward, even after dumping some other young forwards, like Dylan Sikura.
Good post and thanks for the insight.

But for the record, Gilbert is a dman, not a forward.

And Zadorov is already signed for next year at $3.25M.

I think with the Hawks announcing they want to rebuild, and going with a fairly pedestrian ( I am being generous here) goalie duo, they are in real tank mode and want to show Toews, Kane and Keith what the next 3 years will be like.

I wonder what assets those players could bring in if they would waive and were offered with 50% retained. Chicago could afford the cap hit for three years while they rebuilt and lots of those teams would feel those types of proven playoff performers might be the missing pieces of the puzzle to win the cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #25
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

“Well Brandon...I’m trying to set the record for most times I can include one player in a trade...you’re off to Colorado this time. I promise the scenery is fantastic.”-Stan Bowman
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So trades can happen? Sakic has shown he is not afraid to make hockey deals. Not bad for a guy considered an empty suit at the outset.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #27
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jonathan Toews sounds PO at Bowman and the plan to rebuild. Says he and the team leaders were not informed of this plan. He also said he would not waive his NMC if asked. Sense a power struggle is coming in the Windy City
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #28
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Jonathan Toews sounds PO at Bowman and the plan to rebuild. Says he and the team leaders were not informed of this plan. He also said he would not waive his NMC if asked. Sense a power struggle is coming in the Windy City

Then I guess he can complain all he wants. Chicago cannot properly rebuild as long as Toews and Kane are on the team.

They each have some decent years left. Do they want to spend it on a rebuilding team, that’s for them to decide?

He would’ve be the first player to initially say he won’t waive.

Perhaps Kane waives to go to NYC to be reunited with Panarin? The Rangers certainly have some interesting young pieces they could move if Chicago retained 50% of Kane’s cap.

Would Toews change his mind if Kane decided chasing a cup in NYC was preferable to watching a rebuild in Chicago?

What else can Chicago realistically do?

They managed to beat a very bad Oiler team, but were outclassed but Vegas. They only made the playoffs due to COVID-19. They aren’t likely getting any better, their defence and goaltending is the worse in the league.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #29
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Good post and thanks for the insight.

But for the record, Gilbert is a dman, not a forward.

And Zadorov is already signed for next year at $3.25M.

I think with the Hawks announcing they want to rebuild, and going with a fairly pedestrian ( I am being generous here) goalie duo, they are in real tank mode and want to show Toews, Kane and Keith what the next 3 years will be like.

I wonder what assets those players could bring in if they would waive and were offered with 50% retained. Chicago could afford the cap hit for three years while they rebuilt and lots of those teams would feel those types of proven playoff performers might be the missing pieces of the puzzle to win the cup.

Gilbert got so little ice time I couldn't even remember WHERE he slotted in! He made no mental impression at all..Last I heard was Zadorov was a pending RFA. Is that after this season (if it occurs)?

Last edited by thefoss1957; 10-12-2020 at 08:31 AM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #30
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Gilbert got so little ice time I couldn't even remember WHERE he slotted in! He made no mental impression at all..Last I heard was Zadorov was a pending RFA. Is that after this season (if it occurs)?

According to CapFriendly he is signed for this year and then a RFA.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #31
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I read that too. Toews is completely out to lunch when it comes to how aged that team is. Surely communication with your team is key, which Bowman may be in the wrong for, however how can Toews be against a retool? Their "core" is old AF, with Seabrook and Keith as has beens, and Toews moving there too. The only guy worth anything substantial from that core is Patrick Kane. Getting rid of Crawford was a good step, and now those additional dominoes need to fall. It's really unusual for a hockey player to be so outspoken, and maybe it's just a cry for communication, but man how can he not look objectively at it and see how many washed up guys there are?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #32
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Yeah, I read that too. Toews is completely out to lunch when it comes to how aged that team is. Surely communication with your team is key, which Bowman may be in the wrong for, however how can Toews be against a retool? Their "core" is old AF, with Seabrook and Keith as has beens, and Toews moving there too. The only guy worth anything substantial from that core is Patrick Kane. Getting rid of Crawford was a good step, and now those additional dominoes need to fall. It's really unusual for a hockey player to be so outspoken, and maybe it's just a cry for communication, but man how can he not look objectively at it and see how many washed up guys there are?

FWIW, Toews has played very well, I expect he’d have 3 decent years left. Keith also looked good in the playoffs with reduced minutes, and would make a very good 3-4 dman especially in the playoffs.

I am assuming that Chicago retains 50% on both.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #33
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
i thought the same thing when i heard this. far too many teams hold on to long, the Flames for years did that for example. this is a smart move by chicago management, this core isnt winning anything anymore. they had great success, now its time to rebuild it. I get that Toews want to win but its time
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #34
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
i thought the same thing when i heard this. far too many teams hold on to long, the Flames for years did that for example. this is a smart move by chicago management, this core isnt winning anything anymore. they had great success, now its time to rebuild it. I get that Toews want to win but its time
Wants to win? He has won! So much. And then got essentially a “thanks for winning us cups” insane contract. He should be offering to help the team through a rebuild if anything.

No pity for Toews or Kane being on a lottery team for the rest of their careers.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #35
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Wants to win? He has won! So much. And then got essentially a “thanks for winning us cups” insane contract. He should be offering to help the team through a rebuild if anything.

No pity for Toews or Kane being on a lottery team for the rest of their careers.
exactly, the Hawks have done very well by them. they have had far more chances to win because the franchise did such a good job building the team and keeping it going as long as they have. then the huge contracts. Any player should be so lucky.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #36
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd trade Monahan and Gaudreau for Toews and Kane
Old 10-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #37
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'd trade Monahan and Gaudreau for Toews and Kane
So $21M of cap coming in and $13.125M going out...

Good luck
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We'll take nuisance Toews off their hands if they'll retain some green.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #39
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
So $21M of cap coming in and $13.125M going out...

Good luck
just talking about the hockey players; balance the assets and dollars however you like