Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #121
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No one here knows for sure what drives David Rittich, but I suspect as a professional athlete playing at the highest level in the world and at an age at which he hopes to emerge as an every-day impact player it is likely that he does not fret much about injury, confidence or risk tolerance. I imagine that Rittich believes that he can be a difference maker, and he is motivated by cashing-in on a great season.
You're probably right. I'm looking at it from and older person's perspective.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #122
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

3@3 is probably a steal
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #123
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have not seen it anywhere here, so I am going to post it: there has been an article in czech media about Rittich. Below you can find the link and my effort to translate it better than google translate does, lol. Flames reportedly approached Rittich's agent already and wanted to negotiate an extension but were dismissed.

"We are not in a hurry. We want to wait for the end of the season and make a most of David's great performances, stats and contribution to his team's success." - Rittich's agent Robert Spalenka.

Here is a link for the article:

https://www.idnes.cz/hokej/nhl/david...211136_nhl_ten

And translation:

It was year 2015 and Czech Extraliga rookie David Rittich had to listen to harsh words of his captain David Vyborny (543 NHL games) in the Mlada Boleslav dressing room. "He was lazy, it was for a couple of days, so I screamed at him a few times. He was letting goals in in the last minute, he did not look very good, he was not consistent. "
The annoyance of the famous hockey forward was legit, Boleslav had goaltending issues and was losing points because of it. Hard lesson worked. Rittich understood that he would not make it very far without the hard work. Next year, he was one of the main reasons Boleslav made it to the historic semifinals.

The change of attitude has shown Rittich where the path of success is leading. He is still benefiting from it today. Safe to say that he broke through in Calgary and then pushed Mike Smith from the crease. And rightfully so.

He performs great in the NHL and is regulary included in the match star selections. Last time against the dangerous Colorado, he stopped 32 of 35 shots and earned the 16th win in his 23rd start.

These results of Calgary, currently topping the Western Conference, are largely on him. His average number of goals against ranks seventh in the NHL, and his save percentage is well over 92 percent.

"Yeah, he's in a position where the team's performance stands and falls with his play," Vyborny agrees.

This is a unique accomplishment in times when Czech goalies abandon their positions in the league. "I always knew he was extraordinary. He confirmed that during his junior years, but he was overlooked by the national team and did not get into selections, "recalls goaltending coach Petr Jaros, who was coaching Rittich in Jihlava.

According to him, Rittich's biggest advantage is that he does not play the same way as other goaltenders. "He's hard to read because he does not always do the same thing. He is also very fast and flexible. He can reach far for pucks and can deal with difficult situations. And most of it all he has a head for goaltending: he does not make a rocket science of it when he is out there and simply has fun. No stress. If he makes a mistake, he shakes it off quickly. What helped him a lot was the fact he was always a deft stick handler, which is a necessity in the NHL. "

Rittich himself says he is hot tempered however, according to Marian Jelinek, who led him in Boleslav, but he can use his emotions the right way. He does not allow them to irritate him, instead they make him aroused and concentrated.

"Nerves do not hurt athletes, they push them to maximum performance. It's not good to be a complete stoic if you ask me. David is not stressed out, but emotions are floating through him. He can work with them. He is not going to #### the bed. "

Rittich's ability to cohere with the team also helps him. He likes to be fun, can take jokes and cues. It's no coincidence that he has repeatedly above-average relationships with his goalie partners. As with Lukas Sablik or Martin Ruzicka, he also get along well with Mike Smith. "Rivalry? I don't know that word, we are friends, we spend a lot of time together and appreciate each other, "he told the MF DNES at the end of the year.

Of course, Rittich benefits from his height, he takes away a lot of space in the net, but there are more factors that lift him up. One is his sense for detail. It is natural to him to stay longer in the arena and discuss with goalie coaches every little thing he can work on.

"Many times I thought it's nonsense. For example, how to position the glove, how to cover the post, where to put a foot or how to slide a pad over the ice faster, but not too fast either, to be able stop in the right time ... This is the behavior that suggests that he could be a great goaltender one day, "says Jelinek.

Every year Rittich takes a few steps forward. He improves with experience, but also with his relentless devotion to work on his body strenght. According to coach Jaros, he has improved in the past few years especially in this area. "He definitely has much stronger legs, making him quicker and improves his stamina as well. And maturing makes him smarter. He tries to be a step ahead of the forward. Sometimes due to this he allows a soft goal, but one has to go through such situations to learn and get better. "

It is clear that Rittich is going to sign a new contract after the season and will become officially the number one. The Flames front office has already made a call. "We are not in a hurry. We want to wait for the end of the season and make a most of David's great performances, stats and contribution to his team's success." says his agent Robert Spalenka.

Rittich's price rises. It is safe to say that he is currently the best Czech goalie.

Last edited by gamesaver; 01-11-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gamesaver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #124
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Pekka Rinne. Antti Raanta.
And probably a bunch of guys who played 20 more games and were never heard of again.

Until Rittich proves his worth in the playoffs, he's proven nothing.

Crawford should be on the first list.

And Crawford stunk it up in his first playoffs.

So, if Rittich has a great season and then falters, I wouldn't throw him to the wolves quite yet.

There is a lot of randomness in hockey.

Last edited by The Cobra; 01-11-2019 at 03:34 PM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #125
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

So did anyone know that Eric Francis compared "Big Save Dave" Rittich to Miikka ***king Kiprusoff?

Honestly I'm seeing the same..
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #126
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeSmith was going to be a UFA at the end of this year. I’m finding it hard to understand why he signed this deal other than he must love being in Pittsburgh. Although this deal will help Treliving with Rittich, I also think it’s an outlier. Rutherford hit a homerun.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #127
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Starting to look that way
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #128
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
So did anyone know that Eric Francis compared "Big Save Dave" Rittich to Miikka ***king Kiprusoff?

Honestly I'm seeing the same..
I said this a couple weeks back as well.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #129
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich looks like he can be a starting goalie. Which is awesome, those are hard to find.

Kiprusoff's GAA was 1.69 (nice). He was Dominik Hasek, and we got him for a 2nd.

Rittich isn't that. I like him and I'm all aboard giving him the job. Kiprusoff is one of THE most talented goalies to ever play the game. These comparisons aren't fair to Rittich, though it's good to remind him where the bar is.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 AM   #130
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Rittich looks like he can be a starting goalie. Which is awesome, those are hard to find.

Kiprusoff's GAA was 1.69 (nice). He was Dominik Hasek, and we got him for a 2nd.

Rittich isn't that. I like him and I'm all aboard giving him the job. Kiprusoff is one of THE most talented goalies to ever play the game. These comparisons aren't fair to Rittich, though it's good to remind him where the bar is.
Rittich might not be as athletic as Kipper. But (1) he is very athletic (2) he is exceptional at reading the play and anticipating the shot correctly and getting square to a shot quickly.

There is also a lack of goalies with star staying power in today's game. What goalies have been better this year that Rittich? Maybe a couple of Gibson, Rinne, Vasilevsky, Andersen, Bishop.

A good comparable for Rittich is probably the hamburgler, Murray or maybe even Kipper. Ie - one good season of work.

Ottawa took a chance based on one good season of Hammond and signed him for 3 x $4m. Murray got 3x3.75. I could see the flames trying something similar (2x3 or 3x4) and Rittich being very happy with that because its a win-win. It guarantees a good retirement if he's a one hit wonder (like hammond) and guarantees a huge payout when he hits ufa if he's not a one hit wonder. Don't forget too that Rittich will likely have the warm fuzzies for the team that plucked him out of no where and gave him a chance - he's more likely than most to give the flames a "discount" on his next contract.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:46 AM   #131
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

That was also a different time, when the top 5-6 goaltenders every season were hovering just above or below 2.0 GAA. Kippper was around 2.2-2.4 GAA after that first season.

Now that bar is closer to 2.5 with the increase in scoring league wide.

If not for the unfortunate last minute goals in each of the last three games, Ritter would be right there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #132
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Rittich's positioning - he's always square to the puck. His tracking has improved from last year to a huge degree. He has a great glove - very efficient in his catching. He doesn't give a lot of rebounds and he's good at deflecting the puck away from the play.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #133
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I love Rittich's positioning - he's always square to the puck. His tracking has improved from last year to a huge degree. He has a great glove - very efficient in his catching. He doesn't give a lot of rebounds and he's good at deflecting the puck away from the play.
Yup, all of this.

The Flames are a deep and solid team with a strong offense and an incredible transition game. They don't need Rittich to be Kiprusoff, they just need a steady goalie that does his job. Rittich is exactly that. He tracks the puck well and stays square to the play. And his rebound control is improving. The Flames are good enough that he doesn't need to be perfect or super human - they just need him to do his job and keep them in it.

He is realizing that, and the team is realizing that. And with that, his confidence is growing. And the team's confidence in him is growing.

We don't need a Gibson. The question of this thread, IMO, is: can Rittich be the guy that the Flames need? And I think he definitely can, and is becoming that as we speak.

The big issue with goalies though, is: can they keep doing it year after year. And only time will tell, of course.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #134
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that when he sees a high danger opportunity brewing, he reads the play super well and goes out to challenge the shooter. Saw several good examples of that last night. He is a very good goalie.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #135
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s intersting how the conversation has evolved.

The past few years, most of us have been saying “We’re not asking for the world. We just need our goalie to be above-average.”

Now there is no doubt that we have an above-average goalie ...but we’re now asking “Is Rittich truly elite?”

Not knocking anyone. I think it’s great!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #136
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kiprusoff in his prime was on a completely other level, so I don't think it's fair to compare him and Rittich. Kipper will go down as one of the best and we were fortunate to have him.

That said, Rittich is establishing himself as a #1 goalie in this league and is still young for his position. It's a much nicer problem to be hunting for a competent backup than a competent starter.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #137
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Could the Flames roll the dice a bit in order to save dollars and sign BSD to a multi year deal today prior to the stretch run and playoffs. Club risk and reward scenario if they're confident in his long term capabilities.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #138
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Could the Flames roll the dice a bit in order to save dollars and sign BSD to a multi year deal today prior to the stretch run and playoffs. Club risk and reward scenario if they're confident in his long term capabilities.
You are going to have to overpay if you sign him now. You could argue that Rittich couldn't have played any better in the first half of the season. Odds are he will take a step back, small or large, in the second half of the season. That would help in any contract negotiations. If Rittich takes the Flames deep in the playoffs I would happy to see the him get a good contract.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #139
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Kipper comparison isn’t fair. I’d be more inclined to compare him to Freddy Brathwaite at this point. He’s taken over and done well, but when kipper took over, it was so obvious that he was the next number one. Changed the way the whole team played in front of him. Rittich has a great team in front of him already and he just needs to be average because they players are going to score 3-4 every game. Kipper had to hold it to 2 or less on most nights.
They don’t even look alike in style if you asked me, he looks more like Freddy style wise.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #140
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok well I'm not saying David Rittich is the next coming of Kiprusoff. Miikka is up there with the greats in terms of being a consistently amazing goaltender for about 10 years.

The similarity I'm talking about is this:

A Flames team, with no clear cut #1 goaltender, picks up a quirky mid 20's European goaltender. He doesn't have anything to prove to anyone but himself. No one really expected him to be here, but now he's making timely big saves and actually stealing games for the Flames.

He's athletic, flexible, incredible quick reflexes, and when the camera is on him during game time, he looks dialed in.

Tags
big , dave , save