Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #141
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
When it comes to purchasing a long-term asset (such as a home), perception of inferiority is as good as actually being inferior. It's why it costs less, and why it will not hold value like the properties perceived as superior by comparison.

Functionally, they can be the same. A house exactly like mine in Altadore today is $100k more than I paid for mine 1 3/4 years ago. Probably would have fetched even more back then as the market was not dropping as quickly as it is now. Square-footage, mine is bigger by ~50 sq-ft. Developed basement, same. Year built, mine's newer. Double garage, yup. My neighbourhood / street is quieter, no reason for people to use it as through access. Access to Crowchild and Glenmore is equal, both houses are within 60 seconds to the same interchange. But, it's $100k more to be on the east side of Crowchild Trail at 50th Ave.

My property will likely not hold its value quite as well as the Altadore version, and will not command a price as high, either. For no real reason other than the perception that being on one side of Crowchild is better. But perception of inferiority in this instance is as good as the real thing; the impact is the same.
Aside from the fact you save 3k per year in interest for 20 years or so or you get 100k larger house.

If the relative perception remains the same from an investment point of view it is unchanged.

Also the initial argument was using price to argue a neighbourhood was better. I think your post counters that nicely. You can get the same quality of life for less money ergo your neighborhood is superior to the Altadore version.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #142
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Debating quadrants is dumb anyways. Yeah the NW SW is clearly superior but what does that even mean? Living in Kensington is not the same as Ranchlands. They’re hardly even comparable. And how come Beltline/Downtown isn’t its own quadrant? Or do these discussions only matter for people living way out in the burbs?
Well, I think the big problem is in the name... quadrant. We'd need to be talking about quintants.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #143
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
My hot take: all of modern atheism is half-cribbed stuff from Stoic philosophers or de-Christianized ethics. Very few atheists recognize the Nietzschean satire that they live on a daily basis as a virtually pointless member of the bourgeoisie.
I get the feeling ruining dinners didn't start at pipeline talk for you.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #144
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
I get the feeling ruining dinners didn't start at pipeline talk for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tres_in_Canada
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #145
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
This is a funny thread. Basically an unpopular opinion thread?

Here's mine. I don't think seniors who are retired should be allowed in malls or grocery stores on weekends. Unless they are being taken there by children/grandchildren due to mobility issues, they should get their crap done during the week when the majority of the working population is not there. I hate seeing able bodied retirees doing giant grocery shops on a Sunday morning, clogging up checkout lines with their need to give exact change and challenging the cashiers on the sale prices.
hate to agree with you in an argument thread, but I agree, would also add, they should not be allowed on the roads or in grocery stores, weekdays 11:30 - 1:30
Old 12-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #146
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Maybe we need some Obama Death Panels up in here.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #147
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Functionally, they can be the same. A house exactly like mine in Altadore today is $100k more than I paid for mine 1 3/4 years ago.
Altadore is the best neighborhood in town. I rented there 3x and bought first house there for I think $110, was awhile ago.

I remember a guy I used to work with buying a very small house there for either $40k or $50k, I forget, a long long time ago.

Both that house and my house have since been demolished and replaced.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #148
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Debating quadrants is dumb anyways. Yeah the NW is clearly superior but what does that even mean? Living in Kensington is not the same as Ranchlands. They’re hardly even comparable. And how come Beltline/Downtown isn’t its own quadrant? Or do these discussions only matter for people living way out in the burbs?

Even comparisons between communities is hard. I’ve lived in places where I love my part of the community but would never move to a different part for various reasons.
Kensington isn't a neighbourhood, it's a Business Improvement Area (BIA).

Bike racks after school.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #149
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, I think it's cute you SE residents think you live in the best quadrant and that it's better than the NW. Hey, you do you, all the power to your opinion (even if it's clearly wrong ;-)). At least it keeps you out of our nicer quadrant. What the heck does the SE have other than brutal traffic and cookie cutter suburbs anyways? Yay, a hospital, a cinema, and some man made splash pools. That's some real unique things alright. And agree with the one poster. There's a reason why house values on average in the East is lower. And it ain't because your quadrant is superior.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #150
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl would be the best center on the Flames in a long time...
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #151
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Draisaitl would be the best center on the Flames in a long time...
Except for the fact that he's you know, not really a centre, and is just an elite winger for McJesus that can help him win faceoffs.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #152
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Lol, I think it's cute you SE residents think you live in the best quadrant and that it's better than the NW. Hey, you do you, all the power to your opinion (even if it's clearly wrong ;-)). At least it keeps you out of our nicer quadrant. What the heck does the SE have other than brutal traffic and cookie cutter suburbs anyways? Yay, a hospital, a cinema, and some man made splash pools. That's some real unique things alright. And agree with the one poster. There's a reason why house values on average in the East is lower. And it ain't because your quadrant is superior.
The inner "donut" around the CBD should separate as it's own area free of the constraints of the quadrant designation. We'd clearly be the best area of Calgary.

-Beltline, Sunalta, Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Bridgeland, East Village, Inglewood, Ramsay, Cliff Bungalow, Mission, Lower Mount Royal, Eau Claire, Chinatown, Downtown West End (meh)

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-06-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #153
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The inner "donut" around the CBD should separate as it's own area free of the constraints of the quadrant designation. We'd clearly be the best area of Calgary.

-Beltline, Sunalta, Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Bridgeland, East Village, Inglewood, Ramsay, Cliff Bungalow, Mission, Lower Mount Royal, Eau Claire, Chinatown, Downtown West End (meh)

This new neighborhood will be called the Bownut. It has been decided by me right here.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #154
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

can we leave out Eau Claire too?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #155
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
This new neighborhood will be called the Bownut. It has been decided by me right here.
Butt-nut would be better.

That is seriously - and I'm not kidding here - a list of the worst neighbourhoods in Calgary IMO. Vagrants, bums, junkies, overpriced crappy houses, a fataing flood plain. Literally the worst.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #156
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than the SE where can you get that garbage dump smell?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #157
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The argument isnt NW/NE/SW/SE.

Its West of Deerfoot Tr > East of Deerfoot Tr
Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #158
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Inglewood and Ramsay say hello.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #159
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like Glenmore is the best neighborhood in Kelowna, Come at me bc-chris~
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #160
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The SE is the NE without all the indoor playgrounds to take young kids to.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote