Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 12-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 7 years ago today-Sandy Hook. They remember by winning state title dramatically!

Branson Wray
@BWray_
·
1h
Replying to
@McFarland_Shawn
and
@Hudl

So the Juniors and Seniors on the team were enrolled at Sandy Hook as 4th and 5th graders when the shooting took place.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1205979502259720192
Old 12-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't directed at you Tranny, but I think this is marginalizing one of the worst moments in recent American history. A state championship from the school seven years later doesn't make things better, no matter how much certain parts of the media would have you believe. 26 people are still dead and no football game win will ever change that.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This isn't directed at you Tranny, but I think this is marginalizing one of the worst moments in recent American history. A state championship from the school seven years later doesn't make things better, no matter how much certain parts of the media would have you believe. 26 people are still dead and no football game win will ever change that.
No question, but some of these kids were there that day and on the anniversary for them to find some great joy doing something else for the area as well as themselves?

Pretty awesome stuff to me.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t know if winning a football game is that significant, maybe it is, but it reminds me of a Disney version of healing.

This article talks about some of the awesome things the survivors and families are doing, for themselves, for their community, and hopefully for future generations:
https://time.com/5750267/sandy-hook-shooting-activism/
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Good news for those kids and in no way marginalizes any of it. You can always find some joy in life going on. But that's just an opinion and I'm not interested in carrying on about it.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm a little confused, does Sandy Hook run elementary through high school? Is that an American thing? I thought they were the same as Canada with elementary, junior high (middle school down there) and high schools.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-15-2019 at 10:50 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm a little confused, does Sandy Hook run elementary through high school? Is that an American thing? I thought they were the same as Canada with elementary, junior high (middle school down there) and high schools.

That might only be an Alberta thing. Only had elementary school and high school, growing up in BC. Didn’t know anything about schools that weren’t K-7, 8-12 until I came to Alberta. Here it’s like K-6, 7-12 or K-3, 4-9, 10-12 stuff.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

^^^^^^^

Really? that surprises me. Yeah, we had the typical K-6, 7-9, 10-12. But I know the term "junior high school" seems to be very standard and recognized across Canada. I'd be very surprised if that was an Alberta only thing.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-15-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #9
jayswin

Exp:

Also, there's nothing like school time frames that make you realize how quickly the years go by as you get older. Hearing that those kids were in grade 4/5 when it happened, like literally small children, and yet feeling like it was a recent event, puts time in perspective.

I remember being young and feeling like everything was so long. Like junior high felt like this whole big period of your life when you're young, now 3 years just kind of blows by like nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I've lived in 3 parts of the country (upper midwest, southeast, and south central) and all have done K-5/6, 5-8/6-9, and 9-12/10-12. Here in Tulsa, we have some gigantic school districts and instead of splitting them to have multiple junior highs and high schools, they often have a single grade per school. So one year you will go to the 8th center then the 9th grade, and then the generic high school for the last few years.

On topic, my initial reaction was that this was a nice thing for their community. I am however pretty struck with that pepsi said about it being the Disney version of healing. I could definitely see a movie being made about the kids overcoming the tragedy to do this. And that in a way makes me sad about the fact that this is what it takes to allow a community to heal. Pretty complex subject matter after the initial positive reaction.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Also, there's nothing like school time frames that make you realize how quickly the years go by as you get older. Hearing that those kids were in grade 4/5 when it happened, like literally small children, and yet feeling like it was a recent event, puts time in perspective.

I remember being young and feeling like everything was so long. Like junior high felt like this whole big period of your life when you're young, now 3 years just kind of blows by like nothing.
Back when we were kids, and the end of summer was so far away you couldn't even imagine it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I've lived in 3 parts of the country (upper midwest, southeast, and south central) and all have done K-5/6, 5-8/6-9, and 9-12/10-12. Here in Tulsa, we have some gigantic school districts and instead of splitting them to have multiple junior highs and high schools, they often have a single grade per school. So one year you will go to the 8th center then the 9th grade, and then the generic high school for the last few years.

On topic, my initial reaction was that this was a nice thing for their community. I am however pretty struck with that pepsi said about it being the Disney version of healing. I could definitely see a movie being made about the kids overcoming the tragedy to do this. And that in a way makes me sad about the fact that this is what it takes to allow a community to heal. Pretty complex subject matter after the initial positive reaction.
Part of what was really bittersweet about this was that while it’s great they won a football game on the anniversary of this tragedy, these kids are now at an age where they are becoming activists, getting into politics, and trying to be part of the change.

They are doing it because nothing has changed and nobody who could make change really cared about them. And that’s a very sad thing, to me.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet 99% of Americans could not tell you where Sandy Hook School is, when the massacre took place and how many people died (even a round number).
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I bet 99% of Americans could not tell you where Sandy Hook School is, when the massacre took place and how many people died (even a round number).
There seems to be a pretty vocal group that denies that it even happened.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There seems to be a pretty vocal group that denies that it even happened.
That conspiracy denial is one of the most sickening items coming out of the US in the last ten years.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post: