Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #21
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just posted this in today's practice notes but I think Jankowski is finally hitting his stride for this season and and showing that he deserves another shot moving up the depth chart.

He and Ryan are tied for points but I would say Jankowski's recent goals have demonstrated a goal scorer's touch whereas Ryan's recent goals were almost gimmies (wide open net on the power play and an empty netter). Also worth noting, Ryan gets a fair bit more ice time for the equal number of points in this young season.

I would really like to see Jankowski getting more time on the 3rd line, see if he and Neal can click offensively, and hopefully get that chemistry on PP2. For the third line they can mix and match either Dube or Czarnik on the left side to see who clicks.

If Jankowski can get something going with Neal, I think he can solidify himself as the #3C and hopefully the two of them can start producing enough to label their line a '2B' line instead of '3'. Then, once he takes this little step it'll be easier to see his potential to be able to become a legit second line C.

The nice thing about this season is that Ryan forces competition for that 3C spot and Jankowski is going to have to keep getting better in order to hold it down. But even if Jankowski stumbles along the way, the team is still in a good position as Ryan is still a strong option in that spot.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 AM   #22
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Jamie Benn
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 AM   #23
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 View Post
Jamie Benn
Bold move cotton.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #24
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Joe Colborne
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #25
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
You guys do realize he's 24 already right? Not many guys in particular forwards progress much beyond that age, given where he's at now it's highly unlikely he ever reaches Backlunds level.

3rd/4th line tweener i think is his upside.
Not all 24 year old's are created equal, only his 3rd pro season and is probably still trying to get used to having an adult mans body
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
2nd year in the league but no room for improvement? Dont agree.
I literally used the words “there’s still room for improvement” in the last sentence of my post.

I also never said he was a plug, I said he was a 4th liner. He plays on the 4th line, what else am I supposed to call him?

I just don’t agree that he’s a sure-fire bet for a 2nd line C.

Last edited by N-E-B; 11-28-2018 at 01:40 AM.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #27
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flizzenflozz View Post
Do you recall when Backlund emerged?
For every Backlund there’s 100 players who don’t emerge ever. Probably more. I’m so sick of Backlund being used as an excuse for everyone. Yes, it’s absolutey possible to emerge late, but it’s not probable. I’m just being realistic here. He’s a good bottom six guy, but I don’t think betting on him to be an everyday top-6 player is a good idea.

Sorry for not multi-quoting, I didn’t see this response right away.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 AM   #28
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I literally used the words “there’s still room for improvement” in the last sentence of my post.

I also never said he was a plug, I said he was a 4th liner. He plays on the 4th line, what else am I supposed to call him?

I just don’t agree that he’s a sure-fire bet for a 2nd line C.
How many 4th liners score over 10 and the kind of goals he scores. At best your giving him a third liner but hes already in his way to double digits with low icetime. So whats holding him back from middle six then by your estimation since his numbers are good for bottom six as is?
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:18 AM   #29
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
How many 4th liners score over 10 and the kind of goals he scores. At best your giving him a third liner but hes already in his way to double digits with low icetime. So whats holding him back from middle six then by your estimation since his numbers are good for bottom six as is?
Consistency, for one. Jankowski was a borderline AHLer to start the year this year. He looks great now but let’s see how he looks in another 10 games. And then again at the end of the year. Maybe he’ll change my mind. Maybe he won’t. But I’m going to need to see him do this on a nightly basis before I start announcing him our heir apparent to Backlund.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:30 AM   #30
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's a potential second line center playing with meh talent on the 4th/3rd line. ie. Samuel Bennett

Last edited by Phagoof; 11-28-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phagoof For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 04:18 AM   #31
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually met him and asked him the exact same question. He looked at me, paused and the said...

I am the very model of a modern Major-General, I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral, I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical, From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical; I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical, I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical, About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news--- With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse. I'm very good at integral and differential calculus, I know the scientific names of beings animalculous; In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General. I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's, I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox, I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus, In conics I can floor peculiarities parablous. I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies, I know the croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes, Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore, And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore. Then I can write a washing bill in Balylonic cuneiform, And tell you every detail of Caractacus's uniform; In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General. In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin", When I can tell at sight a chassepôt rifle from a javelin, When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at, And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat", When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery, When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery: In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy, You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee--- For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury, Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century; But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:02 AM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is Mark Jankowski?

Where are life?

Why are things?
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #33
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
You guys do realize he's 24 already right? Not many guys in particular forwards progress much beyond that age, given where he's at now it's highly unlikely he ever reaches Backlunds level.

3rd/4th line tweener i think is his upside.

I agree with what you're saying, but every so often a player comes along that takes a non-traditional path to the majors in his sport. They are usually late bloomers because of some outside influence, like a late growth spurt, starting the game late, or suffering from an injury that delays their development. Jankowski is one of these guys. He suffered from a late growth spurt and took time to get his development untracked. I think we're still a couple years from seeing the full Mark Jankowski, and I think he's going to surprise us how good he is.

I would like people to consider another player on the Flames who had a non-traditional path to the NHL. One Mark Giordano was a late bloomer who took a non-traditional path to the NHL. I remember seeing Giordano play his first couple of games for the Flames and not thinking much of him. But in his second go round there was a difference in him. I saw something special in him and knew he was going to be a player. It was a game in Toronto against the Leafs that crystalized it for me. I think it was the third or fourth game after his call up, and he scored a couple goals in limited ice time. Every time he was on the ice, he was dangerous and made incredible heady plays. The Flames lost that night, but he made me believe we had a future top four defenseman on our hands. I didn't see a number one at that time, but I was confident he was going to be a defenseman of note for the team. When the Flames allowed him to bolt to Russia I thought they had made a massive mistake and let one get away. As luck would have it, he came back and ended up playing for the Flames long term. It took a few more years for him to blossom into the guy we know today, but he did achieve expectations, and so much more. He became that guy at age 29!

I believe in timelines for most players, especially those who go through the traditional path to the NHL. But there are different paths that players can take and it affects the timeline. Jankowski has definitely been on a different path, and his timeline is very different. He doesn't have many hard miles on his frame from years of grinding it out. Like Gio, he has lots of miles left. I expect him to be a 2nd line center. He's got that size and those incredibly soft hands that make him a perfect fit. It's just going to come down to opportunity and finding his comfort zone. It will come.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #34
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

He is still developing as an NHLer, and as others have mentioned, consistency is an issue at the moment.
I see his upside as a good 3rd C, lower end 2C at the absolute best.
I don't think he is a fit with Neal, as he is more like Monahan than Backlund in play style, scorer who can pass, as opposed to the guy who drives the play on his line. Neal needs a guy to get him the puck, which for all people complain about Ryan, he can actually do.
So for now, play Jankowski on the 4th line (since Peters rolls lines anyway) and on the PK where he is playing well. If he steps it up, maybe throw him some PP2 time or keep him in the game as the bench shortens. Make him earn more time, and if he gets int a funk, he is sheltered more down there.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #35
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Big man, doesn't play like it.

Good hands for a big guy. Impressive dangles in some tight situations.

His shot is better than his passing.

Poor puck protection. I'd like to see some more compete from him in this area.

All in all I'd say he's got some offensive upside. 4th and 3rd line is where he belongs for now. Sprinkle some powerplay time in there. Maybe in a couple years he's grown the defensive side of his game and can play some tougher matchups. Keep him sheltered till then.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #36
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Joe Colborne
I definitely see his style being Colbournesque, with higher upside. Colbourne would show flashes of real power forward skill and then disappear at times. Hopefully Janko develops consistency.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #37
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What is Mark Jankowski?

37 points in Scrabble so about that in the NHL!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #38
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's a hard worker, loyal husband and all around fine person
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #39
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Human.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Joe Colborne
I hate to say it but there are some similarities. Big centers with skill that are on the soft side. That said I feel Jankowski will be a better player but I think his ceiling is of a 3rd line center which is still not a bad thing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote