Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #501
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know anything about Boeing's financials but realistically how long can they survive the Max situation until some sort of bailout is required? I believe they just paid Southwest $250 million for losses and I'm sure other airlines are pounding at their door asking for money as well. JPMorgan stated that will suspended production Boeing will still be bleeding $1B even month in overhead and associated labour costs. If/when a fix is determined for the existing Max fleet I'm sure it will cost billions for Boeing to retrofit the aircrafts.

How long until Trump has to sign over a big cheque?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #502
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Onion went there:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1207019892697960449
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #503
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll give them credit, that picture is actually a Max aircraft. They have already done better than half the 'real' media organizations who are forever showing incorrect, or old/dated aircraft in their coverage.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #504
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boeing's Starliner mission to the ISS is off to a rocky start:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1208006454902431744

https://twitter.com/user/status/1208034782447382530
Old 12-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #505
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoops!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #506
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

An absolutely sick video on the behind the scenes making of the new Top Gun Maverick movie.

These just might be the greatest live action (non CGI) aerial combat shots in a movie forever (since the F35 and UAV's of the future won't have a two seat option)...

The shot when the Super Hornet goes to full burner in front of the CineJet....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #507
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be insane, regardless of how the script/story are the aerial footage is going to be awesome. Apparently this French film has some baller aerial footage too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Fighters
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #508
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow, that is some sick footage ACM footage indeed. Makes me wonder what kind of footage could be had with a Typhoon or Su-27. Hey , they have two seater variants...

As slick as those are to watch - Top Gun has factors that put it on another plane of existance.... Naval flight operations add a certain level of greatness topped off with the hero we all wanted to be growing up - Maverick himself.

That and there ain't no Chevaliers flying rubber dog shiz outta "HawngKawng"...

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-21-2019 at 10:33 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #509
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boeing fires (asked for resignation) their CEO, who took over after the MAX program was already in production. He is being replaced with their CFO. Guess the cost/corner cutting culture that caused the 737 MAX issues will continue.

Quote:
The Company also announced that Dennis A. Muilenburg has resigned from his positions as Chief Executive Officer and Board director effective immediately. Boeing Chief Financial Officer Greg Smith will serve as interim CEO during the brief transition period, while Mr. Calhoun exits his non-Boeing commitments.
https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-12...ership-Changes
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #510
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Boeing fires (asked for resignation) their CEO, who took over after the MAX program was already in production. He is being replaced with their CFO. Guess the cost/corner cutting culture that caused the 737 MAX issues will continue.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-12...ership-Changes
CFO is only acting as interim CEO for a few weeks while they transition to the new guy. But new guy is still a current Boeing board member so your point may be valid.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #511
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

No bailouts for Boeing. Hopefully their stocks crater and the company is done for. That's the only way any accountability will be achieved.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #512
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1213180804161056769

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...415232?cmp=rss

Wheels up! Up I said! Oh no.

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-05-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #513
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunrise planespotting at YYC a few days ago, featuring Air Canada's first A220-300 at the 1:56 mark:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #514
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

No surprise, Air Canada and WestJet push the MAX back in their schedules again:

"Air Canada said it recently opted to push back the return of the Boeing jet through March 31. WestJet said it has pulled its 13 Max planes from the schedule until March 4."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-...ring-1.4752510
Old 01-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #515
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

No surprise. Will be interesting to see how the eventual return to the fleets go (assuming this happens). Depending on how the re-certifying goes each airline will be affected differently:

If the MAX is reinstated with a common type rating (like it was originally) Westjet has a slight advantage as their entire 737 pilot group would essentially be permitted to fly them. AC has to retrain their entire 737 pilot group as I assume they are not longer qualified on the aircraft.

If additional training is required then AC may have a slight advantage. They would still need to recertify their 737 pilots group but at least the pool is relatively small. WestJet would have to figure out which pilots to choose/train and then build pilot scheduling accordingly. It would not be worth it to update the entire pilot group and they would essentially be creating a new subset of pilots. Makes for a bigger headache than AC would have in this case.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #516
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’d love to know the details of the deal AC got to go with the MAX because it had to have been a doozie considering they already operated the A320 family.

Or was the retraining process for crews and maintenance not that big a deal considering they were also bringing on the A220s and needed to go through it anyway?

Or was the delivery schedule for the 320neos just too long by the time AC was going to get on board?

It just seems that with the nature of why these two families were developed there had to be one amazing reason to switch.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #517
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I’d love to know the details of the deal AC got to go with the MAX because it had to have been a doozie considering they already operated the A320 family.

Or was the retraining process for crews and maintenance not that big a deal considering they were also bringing on the A220s and needed to go through it anyway?

Or was the delivery schedule for the 320neos just too long by the time AC was going to get on board?

It just seems that with the nature of why these two families were developed there had to be one amazing reason to switch.
AC would have been an almost all Boeing fleet at mainline, with perhaps the A330's sticking around for a while longer (and some A321's). So they would end up with a Boeing/Bombardier (now Airbus) fleet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #518
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If I remember correctly, AC got a significant discount on the MAX purchases as compensation for delays in delivery on the 787 program. Hence, the decision to move away from Airbus for the narrowbody fleet. I'm sure in retrospect, they would have stuck with AB, and ordered the 320/321neo as opposed to the MAX.

In some sweet irony, there is a good chance that part of the MAX compensation package will be in the form of credits for future 777/787 orders. I could see AC changing some of their MAX options to the 787, and then shift back to the 220/320/321 for future narrowbody orders.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #519
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

IIRC, Boeing also purchased 20 of AC's E190's as part of the deal.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 01-06-2020 at 02:08 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #520
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
IIRC, Boeing also purchased 20 of AC's E190's as part of the deal.
That's absolutely right. The Jungle Jets were supposed to be gone by now, with the E75's having already been transferred to Sky Regional to fly under the Express banner. Obviously, those departures have been delayed due to the MAX issue.

It's a shame. The E90 was generally enjoyable to fly as a passenger, although they were not cost effective, hence the decision to replace them with the 220.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote