Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #101
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode it but took it really easy. Found it a bit smoky but not horrible.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #102
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I didn't ride this morning, but I'll be riding home tonight. Figure today is a good day to try a new route. I'm going to avoid the Lynnview hill by adding an extra km to the trip. Hopefully saving that huffing and puffing will be better in the long run.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #103
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saving my legs (and lungs) for this weekend. Took the truck today. Hope it clears up for the weekend. Don't want to do 200+ km in the smoke.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #104
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Yeah, for my ride tomorrow I'm going to drive part way to work and just ride the other part of it. I can still feel it in my lungs from the ride home yesterday.

May also try using a mask.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #105
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ugh, we were informed yesterday that our office, which is currently across the street from chinook, will be moving back downtown. from a biking to work perspective, this will likely have a negative impact for me as my current 17k/45 minute commute (one way) will turn into a 27k/70 minute ride. Can't see riding more than two or three times per week to work.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #106
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bike was creaking something fierce, I suspected maybe the composite pedals. Guy at bike shop said he’s never seen that, suspected possibly the bottom bracket. Pleased to report a pedal change did indeed solve the creaking, and when held to the light you can actually see the internal structure of the pedal has a break.
/stoked.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #107
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
ugh, we were informed yesterday that our office, which is currently across the street from chinook, will be moving back downtown. from a biking to work perspective, this will likely have a negative impact for me as my current 17k/45 minute commute (one way) will turn into a 27k/70 minute ride. Can't see riding more than two or three times per week to work.
Lucky dog. I dream of the day we relocate back downtown. Opposite situation for me, that might actually make riding doable for me if we did.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #108
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cancer ride was cancelled. I got to the 75km mark for the lunch stop and they said they pulled the plug due to air quality. I'm bummed.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #109
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry man, that sucks. Good job on hitting 75km though, you must have been near the front.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #110
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My office is moving this fall. My ride goes from a pretty easy 5km to 15km down to Quarry Park.

Any recommendations on a good frostbike setup?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #111
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

All I did last winter was add studded tires. I do have a hybrid bike which helped. I am hoping to get a lot more riding in this winter.

My biggest issue was keeping fingers and toes warm. Even with my winter boots that were good enough for walking in -20; they weren’t good enough for riding in -20.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I throw toe warmers in below -20. Sure, it costs a little but still cheaper than a bus pass.

I use pogies and thick mitts for the hands.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #113
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I am thrilled to be going from affordable parking, plus the convienece of having chinook across the street and a Home Depot nearby, to taking the bus again. And having to run errands on my post work time instead of lunch time.

Not to mention the fact that getting home from work early will be 5.15 instead of 3.30 like it is now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Lucky dog. I dream of the day we relocate back downtown. Opposite situation for me, that might actually make riding doable for me if we did.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #114
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, If you move up with the latte sippers, you wouldn't have to worry about this.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #115
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m currently building up my steel bike and need to decide between Shimano 105 and SRAM Rival 1X. I was all set to go with the 1X, as I like the more streamlined/cleaner setup. But when I test drove a bike with it, the gear changes felt noticably clunky and loud in comparison to the smoother Shimano. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, I was just expecting it to feel more refined.

To those who have a 1x setup, is that something that bothers you over the long-term? Is the Force 1X noticeably more refined?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #116
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have a 2x 105 groupset, a 1x XT Mountain groupset and a 1x Rival groupset. The Rival is definitely the loudest, and it bothers me. I don't really notice clunkiness from any of my groupsets though. My 1x XT setup is amazing. I don't know about Force 1X, never ridden it.

What are you doing with the bike? I really love 1x setups. Shimano has a 1x12 out now as well.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #117
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
The Rival is definitely the loudest, and it bothers me. I don't really notice clunkiness from any of my groupsets though.

What are you doing with the bike? I really love 1x setups. Shimano has a 1x12 out now as well.
Clunkiness is probably the wrong word, it's perhaps more just the loud THUNK every time I changed gears that just sounded kinda funny for a road bike.

I'm using it mostly as my all-around urban/road bike...riding around pathways, towing my kids, going for quick evening workout rides. My goal is to have a bike that's relatively clean and minimal, but with quality parts, as I intend to keep this for 10+ years.

I don't believe Shimano has a road 1x option at the moment, just for mtb, no?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #118
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 1x rival we have on our Rove definitely makes the thunk you are describing. It's my wife's bike, she doesn't mind it, but I don't think I would ride it everywhere.

I don't think Shimano has a dedicated 1x road groupset, don't see why you couldn't use an XT or XTR groupo on the bike though? Or could always mix and match. White Industries, Paul Components, Wolftooth, Velo Orange all make really nice components. White Industries crank with Wolftooth chainring to Shimano 105 casette & derailleur could also work.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #119
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Just bought this as a winter rider for $300

Old 08-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #120
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe it’s the ‘cloudy’ skies, I’m actually jonsing for some snow so I can ride my fattie in the peace.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote