Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Tattoos: Anybody have regrets or wild stories ??

Hi all,

Just a trend I have noticed amongst friends and other people these days is the explosion of tattoo's and how popular they have become.

I have a few friends who went from zero tattoo's to almost completely covered arms and chest in the span of a year.

Recently married friends looking to get tattoo's together even though one of them is very much against it, doesn't know how to say no.

Friends teenage daughter looking at new boyfriends name etc.

I am wondering if anybody has any big regrets with their tattoo's, wild stories about them not turning out properly, wrong spelling, divorce or breakup's, sports team's you no longer support etc

Last edited by curves2000; 02-23-2023 at 02:51 PM.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #2
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

My partner has a hilarious collection of impulse stick and poke tattoos - including a dagger, a three leaf clover, and a ying yang.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #3
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife has 8 tattoos from when she was a young adult, and in her words she would take back all but one of them.

Words/script ages poorly, colors fade. Bodies stretch, especially from teenage times on.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been going back and forth over the idea of getting my first ever tattoo, a shoulder / delt piece. I can't wait, this thread will probably dissuade me from any ink work for quite some time.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I have been going back and forth over the idea of getting my first ever tattoo, a shoulder / delt piece. I can't wait, this thread will probably dissuade me from any ink work for quite some time.
I hear early 2000's Tribal is making a big comeback.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:06 PM   #6
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I have one and I hate it. I want to go back to pure. I've had probably five laser appointments so it's now faded and looks even ####tier. Haven't been for a laser appointment in several years, though, so maybe the tech is better now? Anybody have any recommendations for a laser tattoo removal place?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hi all,

Just a trend I have noticed amongst friends and other people these days is the explosion of tattoo's and how popular they have become.

I have a few friends who went from zero tattoo's to almost completely covered arms and chest in the span of a year.

Recently married friends looking to get tattoo's together even though one of them is very much against it, doesn't know how to say no.

Friends teenage daughter looking at new boyfriends name etc.

I am wondering if anybody has any big regrets with their tattoo's, wild stories about them not turning out properly, wrong spelling, divorce or breakup's, sports team's you no longer support etc
Oddly enough, I'm in the same boat. I just got my first last year after thinking about it for over 20 years. Just sort of jumped at it. I'm probably just entering the last half of my life though where I don't give a F what people think anymore.

I may regret the anime one later when I'm 60 and it looks blurred and disfigured. Have the temptation now to keep getting more.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 02-23-2023 at 01:09 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I have one and I hate it. I want to go back to pure. I've had probably five laser appointments so it's now faded and looks even ####tier. Haven't been for a laser appointment in several years, though, so maybe the tech is better now? Anybody have any recommendations for a laser tattoo removal place?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #9
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Get Barb-Wire.

I nearly got a Hockey Canada Tattoo on my arm when I was 18. I am sure glad I didn't do that.

I see so many terrible tattoos out there now.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I hear early 2000's Tribal is making a big comeback.
Not sure if serious, do not want either way.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #11
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was in Mexico last week, and saw too many 40-50 something women at the resort walking around with butterfly and tribal tattoos on their lower backs. Those were terrible back then when it was a thing in the early 00's... and they're absolutely even more terrible now. Cringe factor 10/10
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:10 PM   #12
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I personally don't have one or am a big fan of them on women as a matter of personal choice.

I am curious to those who have them if they could provide "advice to my younger self" so to speak. Some tattoo's just don't age well or are not as trendy etc. The "tramp stamp" on the lower back isn't something as popular today, the barbwire, the Asian and Greek lettering etc.

No hate or rude comments but I am curious as to what people admit in a public forum on a computer as opposed to in person with other friends or family. I can imagine some people may have lied to their spouses or parents about the story behind their tattoo as the real story may be a little much.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:13 PM   #13
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I personally don't have one or am a big fan of them on women as a matter of personal choice.
I used to be the same way, I didn't particularly find tattoos on women all that attractive. In maybe the last couple years, my opinion has dramatically shifted and tasteful ink really does it for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:17 PM   #14
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love busted tattoos.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:21 PM   #15
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't have any pre covid and now I have three and am planning more.
It was always a 'maybe one day' thing for me and covid stay at home stuff made me go 'if not now when', so I popped the cherry. They are a little addictive.

Are there some tattoos out there that I don't like on folks? Sure. Would I get them? No. But I dig the ones I have, and don't really care if folks do or don't like them. I do think waiting till I was in my late 30s to start probably helps with the early 20s YOLO tattoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

I love you so much.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:24 PM   #16
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Both upper arms are covered including some seriously dated early 90's flash art. They are mostly ugly and poorly done. I would rather not have them now, but for the most part I look back at the experiences of getting them fondly as they are from a time of my life where my pals and I were reckless buffoons having the times of our lives.

The first couple were done by a biker working out of his trailer in Ft Macleod. My buddy and I scrounged up enough money and found a ride. We had no plan other than let's go get tattoos.

Great times, bad tattoos.
hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you had what you want tattoo'd as a picture on your wall, would you keep it the rest of your life? Would you move it from place to place, always giving it a prominent spot in your home, and it evokes a feeling of some sort as you look at it? If not, probably don't get it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #18
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The tattoo sweet spot is neither too personal nor too pop culture.

You might regret a loved-one’s name or likeness, and you might regret the Yoda quote, but you’re less likely to regret the meaningless thing that you just enjoyed the style of.

Feels like it shouldn’t work like that, but it seems to.

Though I question the idea that tattoos have “suddenly” become popular. They were probably at their most popular when there were a dozen shows about random tattoo shops and every customer had some beautiful story about getting a tattoo to memorialize their dead dog or something.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #19
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep telling myself that I want a tattoo but the truth is, I am probably too much of a wimp to stand the pain.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:29 PM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm totally down with tattoos that have zero meaning behind them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: