Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #61
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I'm also curious about bus tours. I'm headed to NYC for the first time in early September. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Great thread! Lots of solid nuggets of information.
Last summer I was in New York for 10 days and we did the Grayline Bus tours. I think we had a 3 day pass and made good use of it. If you get a good guide it's a fascinating way to see the city. The buses come regularly enough that you can sort of use them in place of the subway or a taxi if you don't mind taking your time getting to your destination. http://www.graylinenewyork.com/

We also did the Circle Line Island Cruise and that was my favourite tour that I did while there. I found it really neat to see the city from the different perspective that the harbor offers. http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/home.aspx
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #62
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations for a slightly upscale place to grab dinner before a Broadway show? Preferably nearby.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #63
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry guys, promised a couple of posts then got caught up and completely forgot. I'll try to get to those later today or sometime tomorrow (assuming the boss is out again).

There are a lot of pre-theatre spots in midtown at a ton of price points. I haven't been to a ton since I'll usually eat closer to home before heading up, but these are a few I've enjoyed:

- BLT Market
- Marseille
- Oceana (haven't actually been, but hear good things from friends)
- db Bistro Moderne (another based on second hand reviews)
- Esca
- Toloache

There are some great super upscale options as well, including Le Bernardin, which may require a second mortgage but is pretty extraordinary.

Virgil's BBQ isn't at all upscale, but it's one of the few places that will draw me into Times Sq. Great BBQ wings.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #64
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Heading to NYC on Monday and this thread (and other NY travel threads) have provided lots of insight.

Two thumbs up!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #65
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm looking for some info on hotels to stay at or else a rental house/apartment. 5 of us are going Oct 4-10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the opportunity to stay 7 nights at the 4 points sheraton Midtown(Times Square) for $800 due to some free nights on my SPG card. Only problem is that that would take care of me and my gf but the other 3 would still need to find a place and I doubt they are going to be paying $400/night to stay with us.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #66
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So heading to NYC after Boston in October and I need some help, we are staying across the street from 30 Rock and I have 2 questions.

1. Looking for a good pizza place nearby, looking at a Google map there are a lot nearby so I need to find a good one.

2. We want to go out for a fancy romantic dinner, suit and tie kind of place. Around $100-150 prix-fixe kind of price range.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #67
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
I'm looking for some info on hotels to stay at or else a rental house/apartment. 5 of us are going Oct 4-10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the opportunity to stay 7 nights at the 4 points sheraton Midtown(Times Square) for $800 due to some free nights on my SPG card. Only problem is that that would take care of me and my gf but the other 3 would still need to find a place and I doubt they are going to be paying $400/night to stay with us.
Apartment rentals for less than a month are illegal, so I would be careful booking that.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #68
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
So heading to NYC after Boston in October and I need some help, we are staying across the street from 30 Rock and I have 2 questions.

1. Looking for a good pizza place nearby, looking at a Google map there are a lot nearby so I need to find a good one.

2. We want to go out for a fancy romantic dinner, suit and tie kind of place. Around $100-150 prix-fixe kind of price range.
1. Hmm, you're in a bit of a good pizza desert there. There's a Sbarro nearby, which is Polak's favorite, but I think you can do better, although nearby may be a little further than you'd hoped.

I can't think of any sit down pizza spots in that area, but there are a few takeout/slice joints within a 10-15 minute walk.

Pizza by Certe on 56th btwn Park and Lex is pretty good. Their green hot sauce is absurdly spicy so be careful with that.

Pizza 33 at 33rd and 3rd is a solid neapolitan style slice spot.

I've never been to Previti Pizza on 41st but people seem to like that spot.

That area really is mostly focused on the business crowd, so you're getting a lot of places that make their living churning out lower cost stuff to workers. The better places are downtown (Keste on Bleecker might be my favorite right now) or further west (Don Antonio is pretty good).

2. Torrisi would be my first suggestion, probably my favorite place in town. I'm not sure what Del Posto is charging now, but it's worth it. Same story with Babbo. Le Bernardin is steep, but also pretty amazing (and close to your hotel). Craft was really good the last time I went. Gramercy Tavern, particularly in the fall, is phenomenal (can't remember if it's prix fixe). Dovetail on the Upper West is really nice, and right behind the natural history museum. Recette is also really good. Carbone isn't pix fixe, and will likely jump past that budget, but it kind of feels like you've stepped into a scene from Goodfella's when you're in there, which is pretty awesome.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #69
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
1. Hmm, you're in a bit of a good pizza desert there. There's a Sbarro nearby, which is Polak's favorite, but I think you can do better, although nearby may be a little further than you'd hoped.

I can't think of any sit down pizza spots in that area, but there are a few takeout/slice joints within a 10-15 minute walk.

Pizza by Certe on 56th btwn Park and Lex is pretty good. Their green hot sauce is absurdly spicy so be careful with that.

Pizza 33 at 33rd and 3rd is a solid neapolitan style slice spot.

I've never been to Previti Pizza on 41st but people seem to like that spot.

That area really is mostly focused on the business crowd, so you're getting a lot of places that make their living churning out lower cost stuff to workers. The better places are downtown (Keste on Bleecker might be my favorite right now) or further west (Don Antonio is pretty good).

2. Torrisi would be my first suggestion, probably my favorite place in town. I'm not sure what Del Posto is charging now, but it's worth it. Same story with Babbo. Le Bernardin is steep, but also pretty amazing (and close to your hotel). Craft was really good the last time I went. Gramercy Tavern, particularly in the fall, is phenomenal (can't remember if it's prix fixe). Dovetail on the Upper West is really nice, and right behind the natural history museum. Recette is also really good. Carbone isn't pix fixe, and will likely jump past that budget, but it kind of feels like you've stepped into a scene from Goodfella's when you're in there, which is pretty awesome.
Thanks a bunch! Don Antonio and Keste look pretty good, and may be worth the trip.

Also thanks for the dinner spots, I will go check them out.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #70
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are tons of great places, so that's really the tip of the iceberg. There are tons of blogs and forums where people dissect this stuff to bits, but really it's hard to go wrong with any place that has established itself in NYC. Bad places don't last long.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #71
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

valo403 knows best, but I recently got back (last week or so), and here is a run down of where I went.

1. Motorino Pizza - It was very good. I have to admit since getting my Green Egg, no pizza has come close, but this was a very good second. I totally recommend it.

2. We are Momofuku wh**es, ya I admit it. We went to 3 of them.

a. Momofuku Ko - You want a fancy dinner (Michelin 2 star, Pellegrino top 100), yet wear jeans and a golf shirt? This place was amazing. Probably the best executed meal we have ever had. However, it was not that expensive, and it was very casual and comfortable. We loved it, and totally recommend it. You can go online and make resos exactly 10 days in advance at 10AM, log in right at 10 and take what's available. Oh, and get the wine parings, makes for a great night.

b. Momofuku Ssam Bar - Again casual, again fantastic, again crazy busy at 11PM on a Sunday night. We got 2 bar stools, and the place was off the hook alive. It was a humid and sweaty night in NYC, and I didn't care. Went ahead and ordered the duck breast, and a glass of Pinot. My fav winter dish. Sweated my butt off eating it but loved every minute. We originally went here in 2008 before the hype hit, and it is still good, and yes the Pork Buns are the best thing you will ever eat.

c. Momofuku Noodle Bar - My wife (shes Korean) demanded we go here. Again super busy. Pork Buns again, and they were amazing. I have to say it was solid, but I am not a Ramen noodle freak like my wife. If you order this here, then it is worth a visit, otherwise you may not see the big deal.

3. Alder - This one was quite good. Again casual. Small Plates. Think Taste here in town, they are very similar style. Very cool space, very trendy right now. If you like small plates than you will probably like this one.

4. Angel's Share - Look it up. Japanese Speak easy, located in the back of a random Sushi resto near Alder. Drinks are amazing. You can get an Omakase menu (ask for it), where he will bring you a bunch of drinks. Pretty amazing stuff, and nothing you'll see at home (until the copy it in a few years).

5. Shake Shack - Had to throw it in, because it is very good, and the shakes are bomb. Love me some 5 guys, but this is my second for fast food.

Also, for our touristy thing we went to rock of ages, bought tickets cheap off broadway offers ($200 for 2). Front row. It was a great show if you are into 80's hair metal bands.

And rent some bikes and tour Central Park, my wife talked me into it. It was awesome even though it was 36 C with the humidity.

Last edited by OldDutch; 09-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #72
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
valo403 knows best, but I recently got back (last week or so), and here is a run down of where I went.

1. Motorino Pizza - It was very good. I have to admit since getting my Green Egg, no pizza has come close, but this was a very good second. I totally recommend it.

2. We are Momofuku wh**es, ya I admit it. We went to 3 of them.

a. Momofuku Ko - You want a fancy dinner (Michelin 2 star, Pellegrino top 100), yet wear jeans and a golf shirt? This place was amazing. Probably the best executed meal we have ever had. However, it was not that expensive, and it was very casual and comfortable. We loved it, and totally recommend it. You can go online and make resos exactly 10 days in advance at 10AM, log in right at 10 and take what's available. Oh, and get the wine parings, makes for a great night.

b. Momofuku Ssam Bar - Again casual, again fantastic, again crazy busy at 11PM on a Sunday night. We got 2 bar stools, and the place was off the hook alive. It was a humid and sweaty night in NYC, and I didn't care. Went ahead and ordered the duck breast, and a glass of Pinot. My fav winter dish. Sweated my butt off eating it but loved every minute. We originally went here in 2008 before the hype hit, and it is still good, and yes the Pork Buns are the best thing you will ever eat.

c. Momofuku Noodle Bar - My wife (shes Korean) demanded we go here. Again super busy. Pork Buns again, and they were amazing. I have to say it was solid, but I am not a Ramen noodle freak like my wife. If you order this here, then it is worth a visit, otherwise you may not see the big deal.

3. Alder - This one was quite good. Again casual. Small Plates. Think Taste here in town, they are very similar style. Very cool space, very trendy right now. If you like small plates than you will probably like this one.

4. Angel's Share - Look it up. Japanese Speak easy, located in the back of a random Sushi resto near Alder. Drinks are amazing. You can get an Omakase menu (ask for it), where he will bring you a bunch of drinks. Pretty amazing stuff, and nothing you'll see at home (until the copy it in a few years).

5. Shake Shack - Had to throw it in, because it is very good, and the shakes are bomb. Love me some 5 guys, but this is my second for fast food.

Also, for our touristy thing we went to rock of ages, bought tickets cheap off broadway offers ($200 for 2). Front row. It was a great show if you are into 80's hair metal bands.

And rent some bikes and tour Central Park, my wife talked me into it. It was awesome even though it was 36 C with the humidity.
This is my favorite part about this city, people come to visit and wind up telling me about a great spot I'd never heard of. Putting Angel's Share on my list right now, need to get to Alder too.

Good call on the Momofuku's too, definitely deserve to be on any list of recommendations.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #73
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where's the best craft beer spots in NYC?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #74
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Where's the best craft beer spots in NYC?
I'm a big fan of Blind Tiger on Bleecker. Rattle n Hum near Grand Central is also pretty good. Pony Bar is another. Haven't been to Peculier Pub, but it looks like they have a decent selection. A good number of bars are starting to carry at least a few craft beers so it shouldn't be hard to find something you like.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #75
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i just recently got back from NYC and it was awesome. it was my second time... i was there from Sept 2-9.

I also bought a sim card from T Mobile for $10 and got the unlimited 30 day plan (minimum to buy) for $70...i post quite a bit VIA instagram (@asim_overstands) and have to keep up for work and this was the best option.

Where i stayed: Hudson Hotel (Mid Town)

Where i Ate:

-Breakfast was at the WholeFoods in Columbus Circle Everyday (Mid Town, across the street from my hotel)
- Shake Shack (Madison Square Park).
- Papaya King (Upper East Side).
- Momofuku Ko (LES).
- Sushi Yasuda (Mid Town).
- Ed's Lobster Bar (Soho).
- Takashi (West Village).

Sports:

US Open: Mens Quarter Final: Arthur Ashe Stadium (Queens) Djokovic vs

MLB: Yankee Stadium: The Bronx: NYY vs BOS

The City Pass: Touristy ####:

1. Museum of Natural History
2. MOMA
3. The Met
4. Top of The Rock
5. Empire State Building
6. Brooklyn Bridge Walk
7. Walk through Central Park
8. Times Square
9. Drinking in Bryant Park
10. Soho. Mid Town. Bronx. Queens. West Village. Downtown. Upper East Side. LES. Upper West Side. Dumbo Brooklyn.
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EYE_Overstand For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #76
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty great job on the food, especially nice touch getting up to Papaya King (Bourdain recommendation draw you there?) and takashi (some very cool stuff, beef tendon casserole was really good.

Was the new bar in the Hudson open yet? Looks like its a cool space.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #77
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty great job on the food, especially nice touch getting up to Papaya King (Bourdain recommendation draw you there?) and takashi (some very cool stuff, beef tendon casserole was really good.

Takashi and Papaya king were both recommendations by Bourdain and my friends in NY. Papaya was great how the casing was crunchy... Most hotdogs are soggy haha... But takashi was awesome... The Uni and Beef, the Ox tail and beef tongue were all awesome! The Omakase at Yasuda was amazing! Seriously best I have ever had! And I've been all over Asia and lived in Vancouver for 5 years.

I wish I went to shake shack 2 times though ... I actually regret it.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #78
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Both times I went to NY I stayed at Hudson! The location was appealing being in the middle of so much... Also being designed by Philippe Starck was a plus. The first time I was on a budget and staying in the standard king bed and it was sooo small... But this time I had a studio for my wife and I and it was awesome. The hotel itself is very nice and designed well.. Plus lots of good looking people and during fashion week they have parties and shows... And ya all the bars were open this time
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #79
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I guess I'll put my little trip report in the same kind of format as the previous ones.

My wife and I went to NYC Aug 20-27. First time there, and we were definitely a bit touristy but it was a great time.

For cell phone, just went with Fido's new standard deal which is just $8/50MB over 24 hours. I only used it about 3 or 4 days so it cost me either $24 or $32. Not the best deal if I would've used it every day, but since I only used it sparingly, it was okay. First time I didn't go data-free in the US and it was really nice for using Google Maps.

Stayed at the Broadway Millenium Hotel which is about half a block off Times Square. Decent location for getting to the subway (a few different lines within about 5 mins walk of the hotel) but a little bit of a pain fighting the Times Square crowds every day to get there. Really good location for Broadway shows, though.

Where we ate:
- Breakfast every day was at a little deli across the street from the hotel. Delicious bagels (I ate a lot of bagels this trip).
- Havana Central (Cuban place by Times Square)
- Some hole in the wall tiny little hand pulled noodle place in Chinatown that was awesome
- Katz's deli (delicious pastrami sandwich and matzo ball soup)
- Pio Pio (Peruvian restaurant in Chelsea)
- Grimaldi's in Brooklyn
- Oriental Garden (Dim Sum place in Chinatown)
- Kodama Sushi (close to Times Square)
- Da Andrea (Really good, "fancy" Italian place near West Village that was extremely cheap.. like $75 for an appy, two entrees, a bottle of wine & shared dessert).
- Ess-A-Bagel
- Shake Shack (the burger were forgettable for me but the Milkshake was really good)

Sports:
Blue Jays vs Yankees @ Yankee Stadium
NY Jets vs NY Giants preseason game @ MetLife Stadium

Stuff we did:
- Walking tour on the first day (so tired after all that walking)
- MoMA
- "Annie" on Broadway (really good)
- "Once" on Broadway (one of my favourite parts of the trip)
- NBC Studios Tour/Top of the Rock
- Empire State Building
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Water Taxi which takes you pretty close to the Statue of Liberty
- Intrepid Museum
- 9/11 Memorial/Wall Street/NYSE
- Lots of shopping and walking around

A lot more touristy than I'd like to be when we go again, but there was a lot of things we had to see, even if just once.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #80
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to add to this, I had a quick lunch at Ippudo in the East Village yesterday and would highly recommend it. If you'd like to try what next-level Ramen tastes like (and trust me, you do!), do yourself a favor and go here. It's restaurants like this, not the famous tourist traps, that make NYC a mecca for food.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
khlav kalesh , new york , the big apple , travel sub-forum