Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.villagevoice.com/restaurants/

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/

http://www.villagevoice.com/calendar/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #42
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Bah, if a 60 pound hipster can handle it, so can anyone!

Funnily enough, by the end of my tenure in NY, it seemed like 75% of my friends were living in some part of Brooklyn. Basically the Manhattan holdovers had to come there if they wanted to see us.

Definitely lots of scary parts of Brooklyn left though if you go east...but those are easy enough to avoid.
Yeah, I spend quite a bit of time in the Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights areas. Was planning a move to that area but rents are about the same there as in Manhattan now so we'll see. Brooklyn has a lot to offer if you put in the effort to experience it.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Is Brooklyn a 'must-see' if you're only in NYC for 3 days? Or is it more of a second or 3rd trip type of place?

Trying to decide if I should devote time out of the itinerary to head over there.
It depends on your interests. There are more and more great restaurants over there, so you might want to go for one of those. There are also a lot of cool shops and a bit more of an eclectic scene. I wouldn't say it's a must see, but it could wind up being the highlight of your trip depending upon your interests.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #44
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Myself and 4 others are gonna be in NYC from roughly Oct 4-10 and were thinking about possibly renting a flat through airbnb or VRBO or some other similar site. We have done this for other vacations and loved it. I was wondering where exactly we should be looking to get a place, like what area of the city? I know a lot of people suggest Manhattan but there are soo many different subdivisions that it's hard to figure out if anywhere in Manhattan is good or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jason
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #45
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The wife and I are headed there labor day weekend, staying at the Conrad (Go a sweet Hot Wire deal). Just trying to firm up resos, but here is the plan so far:

1. Hit up Momofuku Ssam and probably Ko as well.
2. See Rock of Ages, got tickets on Broadway offers for $95 for second row seats. I have used TKTS before but I think that is cheap enough to not line up.
3. Hit SoHo for some shopping. The stores alone are amazing for window shopping.

Past that I am not sure if we want to see the Statue of Liberty. I couldn't get crown tickets and I have read reviews that it is not all that great. Should we do the statue of liberty?

Also I have been to Grimaldi's and it is quite good. Going to try Motorino this time. Anyone else try their pizza?

My Green Egg has turned me into a BBQ junkie, so we are going to hit up Fette Sau.

I think for dinner I am leaning on Wylie Dufrene's new joint Alder in the east village. I hate anything that has a celeb chef attached (as they are usually garbage), but I have heard good things.

If there is any people who love to eat (aka cringe worthy Foodies term) here who have good suggestions? I am all ears. That is what my wife and I like to do when we travel. Love the small neighborhood restos with great chefs.

Super excited. I loved Chicago (btw El Ideas is a must), but I am hoping I will like the second time in NYC even more.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #46
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Planning to put together a post with some sort of neighborhood guide and some food recommendations (although the food blogs probably do a better job, seriouseats and eater are my go to's) either tonight or tomorrow. If anyone wants me to try to hit on anything else in particular put it out there and I'll do my best.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #47
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would a bus tour be worth looking into? The family I'm travelling with suggested this one:
http://newyorktours.onboardtours.com...e-it-all-tour/

I've got my own opinion of bus tours, just wondering what others thought.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #48
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any recommendations for shows to see? I know Book of Mormon is kind of the top pick for most people, but anything hot off-broadway? I'm going to be in NYC for a few days next month - at the moment I'm leaning to Book of Mormon and Rock of Ages.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #49
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Momofuku milk bar is a must, but now it's in Toronto so it's less cool. Try the Crack Pie and wash it down with some Cereal Milk

http://milkbarstore.com

Also, Grimaldi's was mentioned but I have to put a shout out to my favourite pizza place in the whole city: Bleecker Street Pizza in the village. Amazing pizza, especially the crust.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bleecker-street-pizza-new-york
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #50
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Momofuku milk bar is a must, but now it's in Toronto so it's less cool. Try the Crack Pie and wash it down with some Cereal Milk

My wife and I fav is Momofuku, so when Diasho from TO came to Calgary at Model Milk we were all over it.

What a waste. Probably the most disappointing meal I have ever had. I am not a food snob by any means, but it was just a let down to see all the knowledgeable food people in Calgary get dressed up, hyped up, and served that. Calgary has quite a few restaurants that can top that any day of week, especially Anju (sorry I had a big man crush on that one).

That is why I am so leery of restaurants that are opened by Chefs that are hyped. David Chang is amazing, no question, but that whole TO expansion did leave me wondering if it would break that trend. Nope.

I haven't been to Momo since 2008 when it was hype, but only locally in NYC. I had lunch there, and my wife got to sit next to Kate Spade which made her trip. The innovation on Korean blew our minds (I would give anything to try those Pork Buns and BiBimBap for the first time, all over). I know they say you can never go back, but oh man I hope it recaptures just some of that great experience.

Last edited by OldDutch; 08-07-2013 at 10:17 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #51
Sheva #7
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

anyone know what is the cheapest hotel to stay at in Mahnattan that is still of a "reasonable" quality? also what would the price be approximately? Thanks!
Sheva #7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #52
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Make sure to walk the high line. One of my personal favorites. If you are into furniture check out the Hudson show room. Expensive as all #### but pretty cool to see the grandeur of their settings .

http://www.hudsonfurnitureinc.com/

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #53
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva #7 View Post
anyone know what is the cheapest hotel to stay at in Mahnattan that is still of a "reasonable" quality? also what would the price be approximately? Thanks!
Ive found the Holiday Inn on 29th (close to Penn Station) to be reasonable. It includes a free breakfast, (although its pretty much all typical processed junk that tastes like ass).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #54
Newfieflamefan
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Magnolia Bakery

When we went to NYC a couple of years ago this was one of the highlights:

Magnolia Bakery - White Chocolate Macadamia Cheesecake

Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #55
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva #7 View Post
Hotwire & Priceline are your friends, as long as you're okay with getting a random hotel (at the price & star level you're comfortable with) in an area, rather than getting a specific hotel. I've saved lots of money using these sites instead of Expedia or Hotels.com.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #56
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Would a bus tour be worth looking into? The family I'm travelling with suggested this one:

I've never been on one, but I could see it being good if you're tight on time, otherwise just walk around, it's not that big of an island.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #57
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post

Also, Grimaldi's was mentioned but I have to put a shout out to my favourite pizza place in the whole city: Bleecker Street Pizza in the village. Amazing pizza, especially the crust.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bleecker-street-pizza-new-york
Yes to anything Momofuku, Dave Chang is a genius and a cool dude. There's a milkbar to go outpost at Ma Peche, his midtown restaurant, if you're looking to grab something before or after hitting central park.

I'm a no on Bleecker Street Pizza. One of the worst slices I've had from a non-chain place.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #58
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Ive found the Holiday Inn on 29th (close to Penn Station) to be reasonable. It includes a free breakfast, (although its pretty much all typical processed junk that tastes like ass).
On my old block, which is not the most picturesque block or immediate area, but it's convenient to a lot of places. If you stay there hit Pizza Suprema on 8th and 31st for a slice and Tempest Bar a couple of doors down for a cheap beer in a sleazy bar. You can kill 2 birds with one stone by going to Tempest just after Suprema closes, they bring all of the unsold slices (still fresh) over to the bar.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #59
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is getting me excited to go back now, ha. Will be there in 2 weeks myself... mostly for work/family, but there's lots of new stuff to see. That's what so great about that place, there's always something exciting happening.

Now if you could only raise a child there without having to earn 200k+.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #60
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

I'm also curious about bus tours. I'm headed to NYC for the first time in early September. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Great thread! Lots of solid nuggets of information.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
khlav kalesh , new york , the big apple , travel sub-forum