Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Travelling - Can't Sleep!

I flew into Europe about a week ago and for the first few days I slept fine, but these last three days have been brutal. I'll get tired around 11-12:00 , go to bed and as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake. Literally laying in bed for hours & hours trying to relax & find sleep. I've managed to fall asleep before dawn each morning (around 7am here, I think) but getting up at 9am sucks. It didn't help that I got a cold but usually at home I'm able to sleep through things like that.

I travel a lot and I've never really experienced this before. Has anyone ever had insomnia or sleeplessness due to jetlag or just in general? Any tips on how to deal with it or ways to relax into sleep? Wine doesn't seem to be cutting it.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Sleepy Time Help?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I moved to France for 5 months for my study abroad program I had the same thing going on with me.

People's body's react differently, but best thing I found for my body was to go workout at night time, by the time I got home and made my post workout meal and ate it I was tired as hell and had to go to bed. Try melatonin to something, I know I couldn't take that stuff because it gave me weird ass dreams but may help you.

The jetlag did stay for about a week or so though, so it's not uncommon, may go away soon.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I recall flying down to Oregon to do some geology, and going 3 days without sleep. It was not until I got home that I started sleeping normally. I chalked it up to a combination of a new bed, environment (it rained the whole time I was there), and concern for the job I was doing (focussing too much without taking a break). Perhaps stop dwelling on the lack of sleep and read a book, until you eventually get tired, would help.

I have also found over the years that, while travelling, I routinely sleep poorly the first night, mainly because of a different bed.

Also, every now and then at home I will have the odd bout of insomnia that lasts a day or two that is hard to explain. I have heard that 70% of Albertans are affected by Chinooks, so maybe changes in the barometric pressure may play a part...just a guess.

Last edited by flamesfever; 12-28-2013 at 01:24 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it will just take time and routine. Don't get all loosey goosey with your patterns either.

I have read that two of the biggest things that affect sleep cycles are natural light (more obvious) and eating (Less obvious).

Try to get some sun as soon as you wake up in the morning, and try to expose yourself to it for as much of the day as you can. Also try to eat your meals in the normal times for the time zone you are in. Resist the urge to snack as your body may interpret the snack as a meal especially if it lines up with your previous time zones routine.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try and see if you can stream a Phoenix coyotes game online, that should have you out in no time

If that fails just get wasted
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

try using one those blue led lightbooks
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Take pills dude. Gravol, nyquil, sleeping pills, whatever. Get a couple good night sleeps under your belt and maybe that will kickstart a better routine.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Valerian root? I have battled insomnia for years and this usually helps.

I also second the Workout routine previously mentioned
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

A couple melatonin before bed usually helps me when travelling or when I have hockey late. Much better then NyQuil or a sleep aid that makes you a zombie the next day.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use melatonin tablets when I travel. I take one or two about two hours before I want to fall asleep. It's a chemical your body secretes naturally, so it's not habit-forming like sleeping pills can be.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://m.zzzquil.com/en-US

Try and get something like this ^

It's an antihistamine and is non habit forming. Works great for jet lag for me.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into these today as last night was night #4 with a #### sleep. Sucks because I'm flying home in less than a week (Jan 4th) and I'm likely to have this all figured out just in time to go home.

I tried taking melatonin last night before bed, maybe I'll up the dosage tonight.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote