Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #1301
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always wonder about how many actual sales those luxury boutiques at the airport get. Does anyone really go and buy a $1000 watch or hangbag while waiting for a flight?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #1302
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I always wonder about how many actual sales those luxury boutiques at the airport get. Does anyone really go and buy a $1000 watch or hangbag while waiting for a flight?
Sometimes I get a desperate urge to buy a Longines while awaiting boarding.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #1303
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I've always assumed most of the giftshops were for dbag dads who travel a lot and forget to buy their kids/wife a present from their exotic destination and make up for it by buying them something expensive from the Airport.

It is basically extortion but the deadbeat dads just go along with it because the only other options would be to a) actually remember to buy things for their family when they travel or b) go to any mall and buy the same thing for way cheaper. However since those both require effort, they just give in and buy something overpriced from the airport.

Otherwise half those places make no ####ing sense. You've already checked your bag, how the eff are you gonna fit a huge box that's twice the size of a carry on the plane with you?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #1304
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I've always assumed most of the giftshops were for dbag dads who travel a lot and forget to buy their kids/wife a present from their exotic destination and make up for it by buying them something expensive from the Airport.

It is basically extortion but the deadbeat dads just go along with it because the only other options would be to a) actually remember to buy things for their family when they travel or b) go to any mall and buy the same thing for way cheaper. However since those both require effort, they just give in and buy something overpriced from the airport.

Otherwise half those places make no ####ing sense. You've already checked your bag, how the eff are you gonna fit a huge box that's twice the size of a carry on the plane with you?
Seems disproportionately harsh to call them "dbag dads"? I have bought lots of small stuff for my kids from airports, granted mostly from destination airports like las vegas. But do kids care where you bought it from, especially when they are young? I like to pick up a stuffed teddy bear with "I luv NYC" on it from the airport, could I get it cheaper from the stand at Times Square? sure. But the convenience is worth some money, especially when busy on a business trip. I guess that makes me a deadbeat...
Old 01-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #1305
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The teddy bear or child's toy for your kids I get....it's the Tumi 5-piece luggage set that is mind boggling.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #1306
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Seems disproportionately harsh to call them "dbag dads"? I have bought lots of small stuff for my kids from airports, granted mostly from destination airports like las vegas. But do kids care where you bought it from, especially when they are young? I like to pick up a stuffed teddy bear with "I luv NYC" on it from the airport, could I get it cheaper from the stand at Times Square? sure. But the convenience is worth some money, especially when busy on a business trip. I guess that makes me a deadbeat...
Wait what? You mean you're from Calgary but you buy stuff from the YYC airport? That's what I'm talking about and it was a response to someone who asked who buys an expensive watch at YYC.

Not to mention we're not talking cheap $5 souvenirs, like Table 5 said, it is the large or expensive items that are confusing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #1307
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Cecil's childhood is bubbling to the surface. That's a hell of a lot of projection.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #1308
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wait what? You mean you're from Calgary but you buy stuff from the YYC airport? That's what I'm talking about and it was a response to someone who asked who buys an expensive watch at YYC.

Not to mention we're not talking cheap $5 souvenirs, like Table 5 said, it is the large or expensive items that are confusing.
Thats what you were talking about? oh you had me fooled with the "exotic location" comment.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #1309
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I had a colleague try and convince me that the electronics at Hong Kong airport were great deals compared to back home - not as good as in the city, but better than Calgary.

They weren't.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #1310
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I had a colleague try and convince me that the electronics at Hong Kong airport were great deals compared to back home - not as good as in the city, but better than Calgary.

They weren't.
Nothing in Hong Kong is a deal. Unless you're buying a bowl of noodles on the street.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #1311
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I volunteer at the airport and there is a kiosk that sells clothing that has some nice pieces. I keep thinking that I would like to buy something there, but it's not really convenient to shop when I'm there with my dog and I wouldn't have the time/inclination to shop there while waiting for a flight. But it's behind security, so it's not like I can just go shopping at the airport sometime.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #1312
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are completely forgetting that Canadians are not their target shopper. They're after foreigners after cheaper luxury goods and quality assured goods.

For instance look at a iPad Pro.
- For someone in the UK it'll cost them 720 GBP or $1,151 CAD.
- on the way home, they snag one of these in the airport store and only pay $1,049 CAD ($656 GBP)
- the difference is even higher on some luxury goods, like high end watches.

Also Asians want to buy their lux goods here in Canada as they believe there's a lesser risk of counterfeits. They are permaskeptical about ones they see in their home countries, unless it comes from a corporate store.

That and they just like to spend money.....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #1313
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The teddy bear or child's toy for your kids I get....it's the Tumi 5-piece luggage set that is mind boggling.
When we were flying out of Montreal we actually did see a couple buy new luggage and start doing the awkward transfer of clothes in the terminal. Granted this was pre-security... but come to think of it I have no idea what they did with their old bags.

When it comes to other larger/luxury items for sale... well I think some travellers fund their vacations partially buy purchasing authentic handbags/perfumes/etc and selling it when they return to there home country. Apparently it's quite common among cruise ship staff as well to purchase luxury items abroad and sell them when they return home.

Last edited by Regular_John; 01-12-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #1314
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

A cruise ship I can understand. You're stuck out at sea all that time, you might as well shop. I guess if you have a long connection and you're bored, you could go shopping?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #1315
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are we debating about luxury items at the duty free shop here at the YYC airport? If you think they are the high-end sh*t, you need to travel more.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #1316
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yeah but all the A380s that will be coming in and all that nonsense. It had to be designed this way.
The only fault directly attributable to being able to accommodate large aircraft is the length of D pier, which nobody has really complained about. The length of E pier is really the only concern in that regard.

You'll notice the length of D pier is not addressed as a fault in Yedlin's article, which is a pretty good article.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #1317
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You might have made it more clear if you quoted the post that you were railing against / with. You just came across as condemning anybody who buys something at the the airport.

On a related note - anybody have some recommendations for what to buy at Narita? A Seiko?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:06 AM   #1318
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Here two hours before my flight and this is the busiest I've ever seen customs. This is why I fly early damn it, to avoid the lines!
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #1319
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Wow. So you hate dads? People with some money? Business travellers in general?

It could be for people with more disposable income than you have, or approve of, but don't have much time.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #1320
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Seriously, who buys anything at an airport besides a coffee or an overpriced bag of chips. "OOOOOOOH! Look, I mug that says I heart YYC for only $35!"

It boggles my mind that anyone actually buys anything at all in an airport besides an absolute life dependent necessity you forgot and cannot complete the current leg of your travel without.
When you're connecting through Pearson, you don't buy blankets from The Bay, and underwear from Victoria's Secret? What's wrong with you?!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc