Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #321
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My local grocer sells paper plates made of real wood so you can wash and reuse them a few times before you toss- the best and worst of both worlds.
Geraldsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #322
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Doing your own dishes is for suckers.

Paper plates are almost as economical and you just throw them away when your done.
How's loneliness working out for ya?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #323
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hand washing is for chumps too. Anything that can't go into the dishwasher, goes into the garbage
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #324
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
My local grocer sells paper plates made of real wood so you can wash and reuse them a few times before you toss- the best and worst of both worlds.
Sounds like just the worst to me. How clean can you get the wooden plates? They sound like a pain to clean. It is really more environmentally sound or cost effective to use what sounds like a much thicker disposable plate several times as opposed to a thin paper plate once.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #325
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

facebook is stupid and people are mostly there looking for attention.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #326
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
How is it different from this sub-forum?
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #327
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is off topic because everyone agrees with you.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #328
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
How is it different from this sub-forum?
Seriously? Do you post pics of every vacation or your lunch here?
Old 12-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #329
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Posting pictures isn’t the only form of attention seeking behaviour.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #330
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously? Do you post pics of every vacation or your lunch here?
I don't. But people on social media seek attention in many different ways. This forum is no exception.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #331
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have friends and family all over the world and it is a useful way to stay in touch.

Also, there is no great trolling platform than Facebook. It is filled with xenophobic a$$holes.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #332
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have friends and family all over the world and it is a useful way to stay in touch.

Also, there is no great trolling platform than Facebook. It is filled with xenophobic a$$holes.
Yeah sure, I hear you, the reason I got on in the first place was because I had a friend that was working on a cruise ship and was posting pics, and we communicated.

But now whenever I look I just cringe at the pettiness of it and the comments the pettiness attracts. Why bother?

Actually do have a couple of friends that live in Europe that I enjoy looking at their travel pics, but posting 100 pics of your lame trip to Vegas, no thanks.

I guess the good thing is though, that my wife keeps me up to date on everything my extended family is up to.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #333
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But now whenever I look I just cringe at the pettiness of it and the comments the pettiness attracts. Why bother?

Actually do have a couple of friends that live in Europe that I enjoy looking at their travel pics, but posting 100 pics of your lame trip to Vegas, no thanks...
I totally get it. You accept a request from a someone to be nice and start seeing a barrage of their re-posts, cat gifs and food pics. You know you can unsubscribe from seeing posts of people who do that without unfriending them, right? They don't know that you don't see their crap. That's what I do.

Generally, I only see posts of those I want to see. Sometimes, someone just writes a deep/shallow/funny thought or a joke and we all respond in kind. Could be lots of fun, actually and, in a way, a good surrogate of a conversation, which we can't have all together in person.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #334
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could you imagine using facebook as any real measurement of anything? What a world that would be to live in.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #335
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah sure, I hear you, the reason I got on in the first place was because I had a friend that was working on a cruise ship and was posting pics, and we communicated.

Actually do have a couple of friends that live in Europe that I enjoy looking at their travel pics, but posting 100 pics of your lame trip to Vegas, no thanks.

I guess the good thing is though, that my wife keeps me up to date on everything my extended family is up to.
Here's the thing, I don't friend people I don't like and if I friend them and they turn out to be #######s I unfriend them.

Easy.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #336
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

OK, I have kind of a 'hot take' that I want some feedback on to see if I am just biased or if it is legit....

So cancel culture is talked about a lot now. I personally think its one of those faux outrage issues like the war on Christmas, but we see it brought up a lot. I generally associate it with people on the right who use the term to deride liberals and label them as social justice warriors et al. But isn't the single biggest victim of cancel culture actually Colin Kaepernick? And isn't that actually conservatives that have driven that movement?

To me it seems as if it's example #83945 of the hypocrisy of conservatives. Come at me bros!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #337
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
OK, I have kind of a 'hot take' that I want some feedback on to see if I am just biased or if it is legit....

So cancel culture is talked about a lot now. I personally think its one of those faux outrage issues like the war on Christmas, but we see it brought up a lot. I generally associate it with people on the right who use the term to deride liberals and label them as social justice warriors et al. But isn't the single biggest victim of cancel culture actually Colin Kaepernick? And isn't that actually conservatives that have driven that movement?

To me it seems as if it's example #83945 of the hypocrisy of conservatives. Come at me bros!
Kaepernick is the original victim of cancel culture, and there is no question that it was conservatives who were all too happy to carry it out.

Now with that said, there's enough evidence of people pissing and moaning about every single goddamn thing because they're offended across the entire political spectrum and calling for people to get fired, shows cancelled, ads pulled, and worse.

The most recent example is the Peloton Bike Christmas commercial. The actor who played the husband has been getting some pretty heinous abuse hurled at him. And the people who are carrying out this stupid sh-t are people on my side of the political spectrum, the left side. That's immensely frustrating because you typically think and hope that your side is better than that.

Aside, I think that's why people are so quick to point out when the left does this and tends to disregard the right doing it: expectations. We expect this mad, babyish conduct from the right; they've been doing it for decades, and it was usually liberals pushing back against it. Now they're engaged in their own form of the same behavior. Both use some form of moral appeal to justify it; the right leans on religion, the left leans on every single thing being interpreted as some type of -ism no matter the context.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #338
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ So what you're saying is ALL people can be stupid at times? Regardless of their belief system or education? Yup, I'd agree with that whole-heartedly.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #339
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The Peloton thing was weird but to me is partly an example of the media and twitter fueling themselves.

Commercial comes out in early November and no one notices until some guy retweets it making fun of it a month later. At first it seems that people are just laughing at how dumb it is. We see commercials that portray women poorly or men as idiots all the time but for whatever reason this one really gets a lot of attention.

But then twitter starts ramping up. It goes from people making fun of commercial to people making comments about misogyny, sexism etc. The media then starts running click bait stories about how the commercial is offending people. This makes more and more people on twitter react and share their offence to the commercial. So the media keeps running more and more stories, now using terms like “outrage” and relating the commercial to society wide frustration with how women are portrayed in the media. It’s a vicious cycle. Rinse and repeat.

And then it comes full circle when the company takes a massive hit financially and the actors become victims themselves because they’re facing harassment.

It’s such a bizarre situation that seems to play out time and time again and imo is absolutely an example of manufactured outrage. And then these types of incidents start getting compared to actual events that are offensive and get lumped together as an example of the epidemic of “cancel culture”. There’s no perspective or context to evaluate which things are truly important societal issues and which are media fuelled manufactured events.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #340
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should take the same position on social media as we do on cigarettes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post: