Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 04:37 PM   #6921
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

No, he wouldn't be stuck there, assuming he signs a pretty standard deal with them like other AEW talent. Many wrestlers go work things like NJPW, AAA, Defy, GCW, and other indies while under contract to AEW.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:18 PM   #6922
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
No, he wouldn't be stuck there, assuming he signs a pretty standard deal with them like other AEW talent. Many wrestlers go work things like NJPW, AAA, Defy, GCW, and other indies while under contract to AEW.
Yeah, that's a really bizarre comment. AEW has a pretty open door policy when it comes to letting their wrestlers work for other promotions. Hell, they let Omega work dates for TNA a few years back.

I'm almost certain Tony would let some of his guys work WWE/NXT shows if he thought AEW would get good publicity out of it and/or a decent reciprocal arrangement.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:32 PM   #6923
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol that would never happen. Not when they're in direct competition with each other. How many times has Khan or talent in AEW taken shots at WWE? It happens all the time. No chance would that ever be allowed to happen.

You'll never see a talent in AEW crossing over like that. Not in a competitive sense. That's like saying someone from WCW would have crossed over during the Attitude Era... or TNA prior to Levesque taking over. It never happened. I remember reading the dirt sheets Dustin Rhodes wanted to be at Mania, and obviously that didn't take place.

Last edited by trackercowe; 04-23-2024 at 07:39 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:50 PM   #6924
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Dustin Rhodes wanted to be at Mania, and obviously that didn't take place.
He was there along with a couple of other AEW wrestlers but they were in a suite and off camera.

But yeah, I don't see AEW and WWE working together.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:09 PM   #6925
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I mean, Ricky Starks was shown all over social media in a box cheering on Cody's win. And Bayley was in house for Mercede Mone's debut in AEW.

At the end of the day, these people are friends and promoters know that. Khan and Levesque aren't carny aholes like Vince and he territory promoters were.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:49 PM   #6926
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being shown on social media or on your personal pages is much different than being actively promoted by a different company. There is zero chance WWE would ever want to promote AEW. There is zero benefit for the WWE to even acknowledge the existence of another company. The question has been brought up before, and most "in the know" scoffed at the idea. Look how WWE acted when Punk was even backstage... he was immediately asked to leave.

Of course there are close friendships amongst them, and allowed to crossover on social media or gaming streams, but that's likely all you'll ever see. If anything Starks will be walking over once he's a free agent in the near future.

WWE didn't even inquire about using Mox/Ambrose at Mania. If it wasn't going to happen then, why would that change in the future?
Old 04-23-2024, 10:08 PM   #6927
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
lol that would never happen. Not when they're in direct competition with each other. How many times has Khan or talent in AEW taken shots at WWE? It happens all the time. No chance would that ever be allowed to happen.

You'll never see a talent in AEW crossing over like that. Not in a competitive sense. That's like saying someone from WCW would have crossed over during the Attitude Era... or TNA prior to Levesque taking over. It never happened. I remember reading the dirt sheets Dustin Rhodes wanted to be at Mania, and obviously that didn't take place.
You also just said that AEW doesn't let their wrestlers work for other competitors, so I'm going to hold off on pretending you know what you're talking about.

Also, I thought WWE and their fans didn't consider AEW direct competition?

WWE inquired about using Billy Gunn for a DX reunion a couple of years ago or something. AEW said they were okay with it as long as WWE mentioned AEW on air. WWE shot it down, but that was back during the Vince days.

I think there's less than a 2% chance of it happening, but I've learned to never say never when it comes to pro wrestling.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:57 AM   #6928
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

AEW would probably be okay with the agreement. Hell there biggest rating bump in months was because of a WWE cameo. WWE would never go for it. There is absolutely no benefit for WWE to feature any AEW talent... heck they cut most of them, or let them walk without a competitive offer. AEW is seen as the only viable competition; they do have a national television show after all.

I mean realistically, how many main event talents in AEW are at the same level as those in WWE? Ospreay... maybe Omega when he's healthy. Edge was never used. Swerve was cut. Joe was cut. Jericho was allowed to go. Mox was an upper mid carder. Cesaro was a mid carder. Perhaps Danielson, but he's on his last legs.

It won't happen, unless AEW shrinks to the TNA-tier of relevancy as a promotion. Indies and foreign promotions are different, because they aren't really seen as competitors by WWE. Also I'm certain Punk would play a factor, and would strike the notion down. WWE is a professionally run corporation. They're basically the McDonalds of wrestling. Which also means the quality of the food isn't the best... but they're not going to advertise Five Guys, even if McDonalds marketshare is larger.

Furthermore:
Quote:
The AEW President explained that it was a “different time” and that the pair were always nice to him. During the conversation Khan noted that Triple H and Stephanie McMahon haven't spoken to him since All Elite Wrestling was launched in 2019.
Tony Khan doesn't seem like someone who would be easy to get along with. He can work fine with other indie promotions because of his wallet, but he comes across as someone with a massive inferiority complex. Which explains the constant Twitter spats he's had with many in the wrestling community.

I'm done here though. When Jericho shows up on WWE television ten years from now, feel free to quote me.

Last edited by trackercowe; 04-24-2024 at 03:11 AM.