Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #681
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
She did the whole Klingon dudes dead and heading to the underworld scream.

She gave him the Warriors Death that he supposedly deserved.

There was nothing left for Voq to do, and I think even the writers were happy to see him go.
I am of the opinion that if that was all that Voq's arc had, then it was a waste of time, so I am hoping that there is something still yet to redeem that story. I think if the mirror-Voq is still alive, bringing him back as Voq-prime would lead to some intereresting stuff.

Anyway, I still don't thin that L'Rell screaming and stuff really means his consciousness in Ash is gone. I think she is a conniving enough personality to fake that. My bet is that Voq is still in Ash's head, just with less outwardly violent sociopathic tendencies.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #682
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I’m left wondering who the main characters are going to be, going forward. Star Trek series to date have had a continuous group of about 8 main characters.

Now we have discovery:
Lorca is evil
Stamets is brain dead/ whatever he is
Doctor is dead
Tyler/Voq is dead

That leaves Burnham, Tilley and Saru - anyone else?

Makes me think we haven’t seen the last of at least one of the above list.

Tilley and Burnham don’t even have a rank. Burnham was enlisted out of her life sentence by Lorca, who appears to be evil, wouldn’t that mean she’d likley be going back to prison? Who’s left to command Discovey?

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 01-23-2018 at 10:29 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #683
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Lorca evil though? He was rebelling against a pretty awful regime. He might not be all bad.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #684
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I’m left wondering who the main characters are going to be, going forward. Star Trek series to date have had a continuous group of about 8 main characters.

Now we have discovery:
Lorca is evil
Stamets is brain dead/ whatever he is
Doctor is dead
Tyler/Voq is dead

That leaves Burnham, Tilley and Saru - anyone else?

Makes me think we haven’t seen the last of at least one of the above list.

Tilley and Burnham don’t even have a rank. Burnham was enlisted out of her life sentence by Lorca, who appears to be evil, wouldn’t that mean she’d likley be going back to prison? Who’s left to command Discovey?
Even if Michael comes out as the hero, she's still a mutineer serving a life sentence, in the real world, its likely that the most she would get is a shortened sentence and booted out of Star Fleet, they're not likely to give her command of a Star Ship. But again this is Star Trek so logic might not apply.

Saru has filled in as the Captain, somewhat ably, but is he suited for Command, he's an alien whose major emotion and instinct is fear.

They might develop Tilly further, but she's just not that interesting.

Stamets seems ok, but if the Spore drive goes away, they don't really need a spore guy anymore, and he's not an engineer. On top of it, I have a funny feeling that he ascends to god hood at the end of this and ends up being like a traveller.

They don't have many minor characters that they've made interesting, I still think that Kyla Detmer could be developed more. I mean she still has to be really angry about her lot in life and being scared up like she is. But she's basically the Lt Madison from Galaxy Quest.

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #685
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am of the opinion that if that was all that Voq's arc had, then it was a waste of time, so I am hoping that there is something still yet to redeem that story. I think if the mirror-Voq is still alive, bringing him back as Voq-prime would lead to some intereresting stuff.

Anyway, I still don't thin that L'Rell screaming and stuff really means his consciousness in Ash is gone. I think she is a conniving enough personality to fake that. My bet is that Voq is still in Ash's head, just with less outwardly violent sociopathic tendencies.
Where's the honour in doing a fake death ritual?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #686
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Where's the honour in doing a fake death ritual?
Well, it's just that she has already fake-betrayed Voq in the past, so it seems entirely in her to do it again.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #687
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

That episode was just plain fun with lots of excitement. That's how you do a phaser battle.

Some of the writing was a little suspect, a couple of "problems" were solved instantly but I'll hold comment on plot matters until tomorrow.

Saru was the most dynamic character this episode, he changed his leadership style in a hurry.

I wasn't too pleased with how the Lorca character was handled this episode. Too much of a cliche villain.

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-28-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #688
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And I kind of agree with you, but while some of the scenes were good, the phaser fights.

The writing and resolution was just fracking stupid and dumb, and once again these writers can't complete a storyline to save their lives.

Spoiler!

Old 01-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #689
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh and another thing

Spoiler!

Old 01-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #690
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek - New Series January 2017

You are being a bit harsh. I think you need more than a few episodes to really care about characters in a show and feel some attachment to them. I can guarantee that if Sulu or Chekhov were killed off just a few episodes in, nobody would have batted an eye and would be a footnote in ST:TOS. People only care about these old characters as much as they do because they had 80+ episodes + movies to get invested in them and are only looking back with nostalgia-vision. I think you are giving up too early on this show. It’s not that bad.

That said, I was kind of confused by mirror Lorca. Since he was a rebel in the mirror universe, shouldn’t that have made him a good guy in the regular universe?

I guess they could have easily kept Lorca around if they played it that way.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:32 PM   #691
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are being a bit harsh. I think you need more than a few episodes to really care about characters in a show and feel some attachment to them. I can guarantee that if Sulu or Chekhov were killed off just a few episodes in, nobody would have batted an eye and would be a footnote in ST:TOS. People only care about these old characters as much as they do because they had 80+ episodes + movies to get invested in them and are only looking back with nostalgia-vision. I think you are giving up too early on this show. It’s not that bad.

That said, I was kind of confused by mirror Lorca. Since he was a rebel in the mirror universe, shouldn’t that have made him a good guy in the regular universe?

I guess they could have easily kept Lorca around if they played it that way.
Not so much, since he wasn’t rebelling against the ideals of the Terran Empire and wanting to be inclusive and idealistic, but rebelling against an emperor that he thought was becoming too lax. His plan was to double down and be even worse.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #692
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If you look at DS9, TNG, Voyager and even Enterprise they established characters in the first season, some of them you knew were secondary but they let them do something, or be in a conversation besides a yes Captain, warp speed now.

In this one outside of Staments, Michael, Saru and Lorca you don't give a crap about the other characters beyond the fact that they push buttons. Even Tilley who they worked on establishing as a player, has really faded in the last couple of episodes.

Look, they went all this way to scar up Detner, and when Michael jumped on the Discovery she gave each other a glance and then nothing, even in the mirror Universe when she had lines, they were the same lines twice and other then that nothing.

What made Star Trek special in all the series was even with the secondary characters they were given a personality and something to work with, but in this series there's nothing.

Even an encounter between Detner and Michael was needed. They could have basically eliminated the Tilly character and had Michael room with Detner.

Like I said when the Helmswoman's mirror counterpart was vaporized, it was meaningless, there was no shock to it, or even a that was cool moment.

Basically the problem to me is that they haven't established this as a crew based series.

And I was giving this show a bunch of credit recently until they engaged the stupidity with the Tyler storyline, and then completely made Lorca a 1 dimensional stupid villain.

Lets look at Stamets boyfriend doctor. They didn't establish him or do anything worthy with him until the episode where he died because they saw his death as a shocker moment, but because they had done a sudden establishment we knew he was going to die as part of the twist and it just didn't have a lot of meaning.

Its a example of 2 steps forward followed by falling down the stairs.

I said in the last one that this writing crew is twist obsessed, and they did it again tonight with the Emperor, oh what a twist that she's actually a noble alien hating eating mass murderer, but she's sooooo worth saving.

WTF!

Its almost like they have a writing by rote for dummies book in the writing room and they open it up.

Hey if Darth Vader can be redeemed lets redeem an Emperor.

The problem with this series isn't the visual effects, or the action, or the appearance or the Choreography. For the most part with the exception of some the acting has been strong with the exception of Green and Yeoh who are just not good.

The problem is the writers, and now because they wanted the twist of the loss of the war, they've written themselves into another corner.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #693
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The mirror universe doesn't work that way, though in the mirror universe Lorca might have been seen as a hero because he wanted a more repressive, terran first empire under a even more iron fist then the current administrator.

And of course they had to have the whole Trump evil "Make the Empire glorious again"

He was even more depraved and ruthless and a monster and murderer then the current Emperor which means that he was certainly more virtuous in that universe.

And he basically looked at the Federation as a freakshow of weakness and he wanted the discovery so that he could basically take a fleet into the Prime Universe and over throw that one as well.

Why control one universe when you can control them all.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #694
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess that’s one complaint I have, these reveals go a little fast. I missed why Lorca went from being a rebel against the Terran empire to just this more evil than the Emperor guy.

I think that was a mistake. Keeping him a simple rebel with a different conscious than the Empire would have let him return to the Discovery, since I liked him as captain.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #695
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has this entire season been a prequel for the actual show or will every season feature multiple deaths and ridiculous twists?

That was an action packed episode and it was enjoyable if you don't think about it too much. Wow, did they ever waste Jason Isaacs though. Lorka was such an interesting character who they turned into a stupid cliche villain. Every part of his story in this episode was so cheesy. I would have preferred that instead of turning into some crazy super evil guy they made him a more complicated character who was rebelling to stop an evil regime but was willing to do anything to make it happen. This would have made Michael's story more interesting, forcing her to make a tough decision about supporting Lorka or the Emperor.

Not sure how I feel about upcoming story lines featuring Klingons, Georgiou, and time travel.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #696
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
I guess that’s one complaint I have, these reveals go a little fast.
When they don't know if there's going to be a season 2 or not, that's the trap they're forced into. They have to try and make it as flashy as possible to gain an audience, but there's no commitment so they can't do the things that lead to a good series. Or spend the money on good writers.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #697
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

This was the first time I watched After Trek and they had some OK explanations for allowing the first season to be about Lorca before the crew became the proverbial Star Trek "family". Lorca dominated the crew and they were marginalized and brow-beaten to follow his commands. The scene with Saru inspiring the crew to work together and the first real dialogue involving some of the bridge crew was meant to show how things will be handled going forward with a prime universe leader, whomever that may become.

The way Lorca was shown from master manipulator, long term thinker, to tunnel vision adoration of Burnham at the expense of his master plan was a disservice to the character. He lost his empire all because of an infatuation with Burnham. That was silly, even James-Bondish in the shallow villainy in the last Lorca episode.

Given the episode titles for the last two this season, next episode will resolve the Klingon war, and the following one will set up the next season. I double down expecting gold, blue and red attire to appear in episode 15. The war will be over, Starfleet will transition to exploration with an uneasy peace with the Klingons.

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-29-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #698
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
When they don't know if there's going to be a season 2 or not, that's the trap they're forced into. They have to try and make it as flashy as possible to gain an audience, but there's no commitment so they can't do the things that lead to a good series. Or spend the money on good writers.
I was thinking about that, so yes if they had been planning on wrapping this whole thing up after 13 episodes, then some of the pacing and other thing makes sense to me. I don't know when during the production process that they got the green light for more episodes or seasons, but I guess that makes it difficult to re-work a lot of what they had already done. Getting a do-over for the last 2 episodes they could have made some improvements so this could flow into a continuing series, but I am not sure how much the actors would want to commit to this show either - Isaacs, Yeoh, Jones, I am sure prefer movies than doing a TV series.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #699
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Preview of next weeks season ender

Spoiler!

Old 01-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #700
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I may have missed it but do we know what happened to regular universe Lorca?
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote