Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #8101
Dion
Not a casual user
 
Dion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A simple man leading a complicated life....
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Sorry to hear that man. I hope for the best.
She is now in the Cardiac ward and there is hope she'll be home on Tuesday.
__________________
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #8102
chedder
Scoring Winger
 
chedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
You must not be vacationing with kids
Hah. No kidding. I'm in Seattle right now and said to my wife, this place would sure be awesome without the kids. Brew pubs everywhere, cool restaurants. Instead, we got the outlet shops.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #8103
curves2000
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
She is now in the Cardiac ward and there is hope she'll be home on Tuesday.

As someone who's mother recently needed to have cardiac surgery and technically had heart failure, I understand the worry. I found that the medical field across the board really failed with regards to women's heart health. Far too often the signs are there but certain things get ignored or put off into different category. I've seen first hand how medical professionals, sometimes even the same Dr, has reacted or treated or even inquired with my mother and father in a different matter. It's truly left me SHOCKED.

Long story short, mama's doing much better in this regard and I am very pleased.

Without knowing the person, the best advice I can offer from my insane level of reading on the subject is heart healthy diet, very limited sodium and exercise. I know it sounds basic but the exercise component is important. The heart is a muscle and it needs to be worked out. People with heart failure usually get worse and than things really spiral out of control as the heart's inability to pump causes a whole host of other issues such as kidney concerns, fatigue and a lot more, those issues than compound other problems as well.

The cardiac ward at the Foothills was great but the adjustments after can be daunting for a lot of people but all the best and good luck to her!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #8104
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Getting added to a group playing golf. I'd go a lot more if I could just play on my own. At least most people hate the rain so a day like today I can do it
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:15 PM   #8105
Dion
Not a casual user
 
Dion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A simple man leading a complicated life....
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
As someone who's mother recently needed to have cardiac surgery and technically had heart failure, I understand the worry. I found that the medical field across the board really failed with regards to women's heart health. Far too often the signs are there but certain things get ignored or put off into different category. I've seen first hand how medical professionals, sometimes even the same Dr, has reacted or treated or even inquired with my mother and father in a different matter. It's truly left me SHOCKED.

Long story short, mama's doing much better in this regard and I am very pleased.

Without knowing the person, the best advice I can offer from my insane level of reading on the subject is heart healthy diet, very limited sodium and exercise. I know it sounds basic but the exercise component is important. The heart is a muscle and it needs to be worked out. People with heart failure usually get worse and than things really spiral out of control as the heart's inability to pump causes a whole host of other issues such as kidney concerns, fatigue and a lot more, those issues than compound other problems as well.

The cardiac ward at the Foothills was great but the adjustments after can be daunting for a lot of people but all the best and good luck to her!
Good points! It will be daunting for her as her diet is poor and she doesn't exercise. I've tried myself to get her to change her diet and do some exercise but she doesn't listen. You can lead a horse to water but you can't force them to drink.

I'm hoping she takes what the doctor says serious and makes the changes. If not she won't be around for very long.
__________________
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #8106
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

The worst/worse transgressions are ramping up on CP lately for some reason. Just a reminder - "Things will get worse before they get better" "This is the worst it has ever been".

Not "Things are getting worst". I mean I suppose things could get to the worst they could be, but that is rarely if ever what the writer is intending, he's just using the wrong worst/worse.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-25-2019 at 08:59 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:06 AM   #8107
N-E-B
Franchise Player
 
N-E-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Getting added to a group playing golf. I'd go a lot more if I could just play on my own. At least most people hate the rain so a day like today I can do it
Related, but having people added to my group also annoys me. No, I don’t want to play with this random guy that I don’t know.

It sucks for both sides. Especially when they drop it on you at the pro shop with no warning. If you’re going to put me with randoms tell me when I book so I can find an extra person for my time.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #8108
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Anyone else get a bit of a case of post-vacation depression? I normally don't as I typically take a week here, week there but I took two weeks off, had a very nice time, and have been struggling a bit at work this week. It's not that I have a bad job or anything but just a bummer being back on the endless grind.
In the past we would take holidays around aug 1 - 15, and I would notice how much earlier it got darker in middle august, driving home.

This year took holidays a month earlier and didn't have that negative affect, post holiday.
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuffMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #8109
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Related, but having people added to my group also annoys me. No, I don’t want to play with this random guy that I don’t know.

It sucks for both sides. Especially when they drop it on you at the pro shop with no warning. If you’re going to put me with randoms tell me when I book so I can find an extra person for my time.
they dngaf about your feelings, a ttime = $$$, that's what they care about.

If you guys want to go alone, go really early or really late.
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #8110
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Related, but having people added to my group also annoys me. No, I don’t want to play with this random guy that I don’t know.

It sucks for both sides. Especially when they drop it on you at the pro shop with no warning. If you’re going to put me with randoms tell me when I book so I can find an extra person for my time.
Its golf. If you don't book a foursome you should be assuming a random will be paired with you.

Doesn't bother me when I get paired with a random because generally if you are going out by yourself you aren't terrible.

The much larger gear grinder is idiots playing the wrong tees and being terrible and slow in general.

Last edited by Weitz; 08-26-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #8111
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
they dngaf about your feelings, a ttime = $$$, that's what they care about.

If you guys want to go alone, go really early or really late.

Or pay for a foursome. Split three ways it's not that much.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #8112
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Or pay for a foursome. Split three ways it's not that much.
What? Golf is already an expensive sport, that's a big reason it's dying. I'm not taking a $90 round and adding $30 just to cover an open spot so someone doesn't get added.

Also, I've been in many booked foursome's where someone backs out and rarely has the group had to pay the 4th spot. Plus, if you book for 3 you'll rarely get a 4th, it's when you book two that you get the second pair added.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #8113
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Well if it f's up your whole day then it's worth $30 bucks to make the other $90 have some value. I'd think adding a 2some would be easier than a single because they could chat among themselves. You'd be forced, or inclined to, interact more with a single added to your 3some than a couple to your 2some.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #8114
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Sure, I was just challenging the "it's not that much" part of your post when Golf being too expensive is one of the main drivers of it's death. Parents can't afford to get their kids into it and most can't afford to do it regularly as adults.

It's why courses are getting desperate to offer cost effective ways to bring back people who stopped going. I mean I guess it's all relative and if you're fairly well off $120 vs $90 may be not that much to keep away the small chance of another person joining, but to me and pretty much everyone I know, adding $30 isn't reasonable as we're already looking for reasonable rates without paying for a fourth spot.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #8115
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

As an avid hiker I'd be so happy to pay a $30 bucks to get rid of othre people on the trail. If it were $30 bucks a head I would have to suck it up and deal with the people. But it just seemed to good to be true...paying a bit for privacy would be the dream.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #8116
peter12
Franchise Player
 
peter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

Funny enough, summer really grinds my gears. I get like a reverse case of SAD in the mid-weeks of August which doesn't disappear until the rains of October.
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #8117
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I'm searching for a new course to get a membership to for next year, I'm not dropping thousands of dollars if I can't enjoy it, and having to join 2-3 d-bags that I don't want to be around for 4 hours is not an option. I don't care if "that's the way it is" I'm not interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Sure, I was just challenging the "it's not that much" part of your post when Golf being too expensive is one of the main drivers of it's death. Parents can't afford to get their kids into it and most can't afford to do it regularly as adults.

It's why courses are getting desperate to offer cost effective ways to bring back people who stopped going. I mean I guess it's all relative and if you're fairly well off $120 vs $90 may be not that much to keep away the small chance of another person joining, but to me and pretty much everyone I know, adding $30 isn't reasonable as we're already looking for reasonable rates without paying for a fourth spot.
And to add to this $30 is on the cheap end of the scale. Most would be even more than that

Last edited by btimbit; 08-26-2019 at 11:51 AM.
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #8118
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player
 
DownhillGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Doesn't bother me when I get paired with a random because generally if you are going out by yourself you aren't terrible.
You've clearly been never paired with me then. I golf solo because I'm terrible.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #8119
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm searching for a new course to get a membership to for next year, I'm not dropping thousands of dollars if I can't enjoy it, and having to join 2-3 d-bags that I don't want to be around for 4 hours is not an option. I don't care if "that's the way it is" I'm not interested.



And to add to this $30 is on the cheap end of the scale. Most would be even more than that
If you have this issue and you're a member of a course you're doing it wrong.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #8120
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If you have this issue and you're a member of a course you're doing it wrong.
How so?
Actually hasn't been much of an issue at the course I'm a member at, just ones I've been trying that I'm considering a membership for next year
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016