Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #181
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player
 
Puppet Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: the dark side of Sesame Street
Exp:
Default

Just got back from Nanton, and it was a good day - a silver medal in the Ship Diorama category for Queen Mary! Lots of great models on display this year - over 500 in fact!

two photos below - one with the lights on, one with them off.

Spoiler!
__________________
"whatever happened to all the fun in the world?"

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #182
puffnstuff
First Line Centre
 
puffnstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: wearing raccoons for boots
Exp:
Default

Anyone ever use the workshop at Fuse33? Or somewhere else? I have a some reclaimed barnboard I am going to use in a furniture project that i will need to run thru a planer and a table saw.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #183
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback
 
flamingchina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Back in Calgary, again. finally?
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Anyone ever use the workshop at Fuse33? Or somewhere else? I have a some reclaimed barnboard I am going to use in a furniture project that i will need to run thru a planer and a table saw.
I'm a member there, though I primarily use the metal portion of the shop.
before using the tools, you need to go through an orientation (I think it's $40)
and then you can either purchase a membership, or pay $15 a visit.
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #184
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player
 
Puppet Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: the dark side of Sesame Street
Exp:
Default

Another one down, and it was all a big experiment this time: I decided to give dazzle camouflage a go. This is RMS Olympic - sister to Titanic and Brittanic - in her World War I paint scheme (she's actually a 1:570 Titanic kit with some minor modifications). It wasn't easy to find photos of Olympic in this scheme, let alone colour photos, so I relied on the painting by Arthur Lismer, attached at the bottom, which turned out to be a huge influence. I learned that dazzle really isn't easy in this scale, but I'll definitely try it again on a bigger ship.

The base was another new technique, kinda - a thinner layer of celluclay on thicker Styrofoam to prevent warping, and a coating of Liquitex gel on top for that wet look. Spectators don't exist at this scale, so I couldn't put soldiers on deck or their families to welcome them. All the same, a unique new addition to the collection.

Big pics:

Spoiler!



The original painting that inspired the whole thing:

Spoiler!
__________________
"whatever happened to all the fun in the world?"

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #185
Titan
First Line Centre
 
Titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Another one down, and it was all a big experiment this time: I decided to give dazzle camouflage a go. This is RMS Olympic - sister to Titanic and Brittanic - in her World War I paint scheme (she's actually a 1:570 Titanic kit with some minor modifications). It wasn't easy to find photos of Olympic in this scheme, let alone colour photos, so I relied on the painting by Arthur Lismer, attached at the bottom, which turned out to be a huge influence. I learned that dazzle really isn't easy in this scale, but I'll definitely try it again on a bigger ship.

The base was another new technique, kinda - a thinner layer of celluclay on thicker Styrofoam to prevent warping, and a coating of Liquitex gel on top for that wet look. Spectators don't exist at this scale, so I couldn't put soldiers on deck or their families to welcome them. All the same, a unique new addition to the collection.

Big pics:

Spoiler!



The original painting that inspired the whole thing:

Spoiler!
No idea what you said. Can not fathom having the patience to do what you do.

Really enjoy seeing your creations and the things you come up with. Very impressive in a bunch of ways.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You will be happier than a squirrel on a date with another, but sexier, squirrel, or a slumming mink with a squirrel fetish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
It's like losing a game of tic-tac-toe to a lobotomized chicken.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #186
Magnum PEI
First Line Centre
 
Magnum PEI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Exp:
Default

Never seen a dazzle ship model before. And even searching the web there's not many examples.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #187
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player
 
Puppet Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: the dark side of Sesame Street
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Never seen a dazzle ship model before. And even searching the web there's not many examples.

I couldn't find anything on the web either. I was flying (sailing?) completely blind on this one.
__________________
"whatever happened to all the fun in the world?"

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #188
Inferno
Franchise Player
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Pas, MB
Exp:
Default

My latest 3D work.

Spoiler!


https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XB0dz3

Last edited by Inferno; 09-02-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #189
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
My latest 3D work.

Spoiler!
Have you chosen.....wisely?
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016