Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #5621
dirk diggler
First Line Centre
 
dirk diggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I was looking at those. They've gotten pretty good reviews. did you go for the 3.3 or 2.0? I have to admit, the 2.0 sport with manual 6 speed temps me, but the extra horsepower in the 3.3 is also tempting.
I'm also looking at the Acura TL. The Honda V6 engines are solid and should last forever.
the 3.3 is pretty sweet but i went with the 2.0 as it still has 250HP. you get some pretty good bang for the buck with these cars. i didnt want standard anymore, so i didnt go with the sport package.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #5622
monkeyman
First Line Centre
 
monkeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
the 3.3 is pretty sweet but i went with the 2.0 as it still has 250HP. you get some pretty good bang for the buck with these cars. i didnt want standard anymore, so i didnt go with the sport package.
I agree, great bang for the buck, great warranty, should be a solid car for a long time, and I really like the look of G70.
Nice buy.
__________________
The Delhi police have announced the formation of a crack team dedicated to nabbing the elusive 'Monkey Man' and offered a reward for his -- or its -- capture.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #5623
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference for the two of them due to changes in engine technology.

Honda engines are like this too in that they can take whatever fuel. I personally noticed a difference with the two fuels in my new Odyssey, but I am not sure if I was making it up in my head. It seems the same occurs with a larger sized SUV using the same engine (CRV/Pilot), but less noticeable in smaller/lighter vehicles (Accord/HRV).

To me, torque seemed improved at lower speeds (especially from a stop), engine response was slightly less delayed and I even noticed about a 10% improvement of fuel economy for highway driving (which surprised me because it means I essentially spend the same in fuel for total KM driven). I can't prove the first few items, but the L/100 gauge definitely seems lower every tank with premium than regular.

I drove the Odyssey for a few months on regular and it always bummed me out how much heavier it felt vs the stock TL I used to drive. After putting premium in the Odyssey, I dare say it felt nearly on par with the TL. The TL has always felt heavy at low speeds in comparison to quite a few other cars I drive, but not as heavy as the Odyssey felt on regular gas. IMO with premium, the Odyssey is a bit more of a joy to drive now, but definitely no race car.


Or... I might be going crazy and experiencing things that don't exist.
If a vehicle is designed for premium, you are not imaging it. Knock sensors are used, and timing (at the least) will be ######ed to compensate. This will effect performance.

If the vehicle is indicated as only requiring regular and you use premium, you are experiencing a placebo. Lots of people will say the vehicle runs better or has more power or mileage or whatnot. If it’s designed to burn 87, none of that is true, by any reputable source.
I suppose the argument could be made that if you’re comparing a completely ethanol free premium like Shell V-power, and ethanol heavy regular like Husky you would see an actual difference. If anyone has experience, I’d be interested.
__________________
Quote:
Accused of assaulting a fish! Funniest thing I have ever heard.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #5624
Corral
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Corral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stampede Grounds
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
If a vehicle is designed for premium, you are not imaging it. Knock sensors are used, and timing (at the least) will be ######ed to compensate. This will effect performance.

If the vehicle is indicated as only requiring regular and you use premium, you are experiencing a placebo. Lots of people will say the vehicle runs better or has more power or mileage or whatnot. If it’s designed to burn 87, none of that is true, by any reputable source.
I suppose the argument could be made that if you’re comparing a completely ethanol free premium like Shell V-power, and ethanol heavy regular like Husky you would see an actual difference. If anyone has experience, I’d be interested.
This is an endless debate. Until recently my view was that premium is the better fuel so just use it if it concerns you to use regular. However I noticed that my new SUV which the manual says 87 octane or higher, actually seems to run better on 87 octane. I found with premium the transmission delays downshifting when traveling up hill. So I use regular from top tier stations.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #5625
speede5
First Line Centre
 
speede5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
In Alberta it's only illegal if it blocks the license plate. I've looked into it regarding my work fleet and got the same answer from the RCMP and from commercial vehicle enforcement
Interesting, I thought the rule was in the federal vehicle regulations which are pretty much adopted by all the provinces, with some additions but few exceptions.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #5626
Old Yeller
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Picked up a Genesis G70 last month. pretty sweet car. any other G70 owners on CP, they arent that common yet.
I thankfully backed out of getting an Infiniti Q50 last year and am seriously considering a G70.... loved it when I took it for a test drive, and a lot nicer more grown up interior than the Stinger.

Keep us updated, I'm interested in the maintenance costs (or is it essentially cost free for the first 5 years?) as well as the service, have you had them pick it up yet and drop you off a loaner?

Edit: Did you buy it new or used?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #5627
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I thankfully backed out of getting an Infiniti Q50 last year and am seriously considering a G70.... loved it when I took it for a test drive, and a lot nicer more grown up interior than the Stinger.

Keep us updated, I'm interested in the maintenance costs (or is it essentially cost free for the first 5 years?) as well as the service, have you had them pick it up yet and drop you off a loaner?

Edit: Did you buy it new or used?
That has to be a feeling similar to a draft eligible player picked by a team with the Oilers on deck next.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #5628
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Interesting, I thought the rule was in the federal vehicle regulations which are pretty much adopted by all the provinces, with some additions but few exceptions.
Not to my knowledge, after looking into it more it's only illegal in a few US states and nowhere else in North America
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #5629
rohara66
Powerplay Quarterback
 
rohara66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I'm also looking at the Acura TLX. The Honda V6 engines are solid and should last forever.

TLX V6 transmission in the early model years is ####. Avoid any 2015 and 2016's at all costs. Apparently the newer 18/19's are much better.



We just returned our 4 year old TLX lease, partially because the transmission issues. Everything else was great. 90k km's of problem free driving and amazing in the winter.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #5630
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
TLX V6 transmission in the early model years is ####. Avoid any 2015 and 2016's at all costs. Apparently the newer 18/19's are much better.



We just returned our 4 year old TLX lease, partially because the transmission issues. Everything else was great. 90k km's of problem free driving and amazing in the winter.
Don't newer Honda/Acuras use ZF automatic transmissions after years of Honda building their own and failing miserably?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #5631
rohara66
Powerplay Quarterback
 
rohara66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Don't newer Honda/Acuras use ZF automatic transmissions after years of Honda building their own and failing miserably?

The TLX has a ZF transmission yes. And its terrible.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #5632
accord1999
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
The TLX has a ZF transmission yes. And its terrible.
It's weird how ZF could make such a great 8-speed transmission (that's widely considered one of the best ever made) and also the 9-speed that's been widely panned in almost all usage and has only in the last couple of years become "acceptable".
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #5633
TSXCman
First Line Centre
 
TSXCman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Exp:
Default

The Honda/Acura 6MT is an amazing transmission. I had a 2004 TSX 2.4L that drove like a dream. Felt better than any daily or sports car.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #5634
rohara66
Powerplay Quarterback
 
rohara66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It's weird how ZF could make such a great 8-speed transmission (that's widely considered one of the best ever made) and also the 9-speed that's been widely panned in almost all usage and has only in the last couple of years become "acceptable".

My brother just picked up a new 2019 TLX and he claims it drives way better then both our old 2015's ever did. My old 2015 also drove way worse then his old 2015.



Lots of 'updates' through Acura the past 4 years but they seem to have finally maybe figured it out.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #5635
rohara66
Powerplay Quarterback
 
rohara66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
The Honda/Acura 6MT is an amazing transmission. I had a 2004 TSX 2.4L that drove like a dream. Felt better than any daily or sports car.

Yup. I have an S2000 and it is silky smooth. Hondas have always had amazing manual transmission though.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #5636
burn_this_city
Franchise Player
 
burn_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I think the Honda/Acura V6 quality thing is kind of a myth now. Guy at work just had new piston rings put in his RDX because it was gulping down oil.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #5637
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!
 
Bill Bumface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Yup. I have an S2000 and it is silky smooth. Hondas have always had amazing manual transmission though.
I never owned one, but drove a friends S2000 once. I've never had anything but manuals my whole life, and have gotten to drive a few cool cars that friends and family have owned, and no manual has ever come close to that S2000.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #5638
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It's weird how ZF could make such a great 8-speed transmission (that's widely considered one of the best ever made) and also the 9-speed that's been widely panned in almost all usage and has only in the last couple of years become "acceptable".
I was curious about this too (given ZF has a stellar rep) and found this incredibly technical article as to why the ZF 9 speed has been so bad. Apparently it's due to the use of dog clutches.

here's the TLDR:

Quote:
Downshifts are where the 9HP truly feels different. Because of the design, if you’re in 8th gear and want to pass, the transmission will often need to drop 4 or 5 gears to get to a suitable ratio. .....To do this the transmission has to accomplish the harder task of engaging two dog clutches. To do this the transmission doesn’t use cone synchros like a manual (too bulky) it uses software.

Engaging dog clutches requires a longer and yet more severe reduction in torque than the disengagement because the transmission has to align the clutch and then engage it.

In most automatics when you floor the car you get an instant feeling of acceleration that improves as the transmission downshifts. Although there would be moments of power reduction (depending on the programming) during this time, the engine is always providing some force forward.

The 9HP’s software on the other hand responds by cutting power initially, then diving as far down the gear-ladder as it can, engaging the dog clutches and then reinstating your throttle command. The result is a somewhat odd delay between the pedal on the floor and the car taking off like a bat out of hell.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-on-the-leash/
__________________
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #5639
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It's weird how ZF could make such a great 8-speed transmission (that's widely considered one of the best ever made) and also the 9-speed that's been widely panned in almost all usage and has only in the last couple of years become "acceptable".
The 8-speed unit is pricer longitudinal mount unit mostly used in German luxury brands while the 9-speed is lower cost transverse mount. Sometimes companies can nail a certain design and totally mess up another.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #5640
zamler
Franchise Player
 
zamler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Don't want to make a new thread I'll ask here anyone every used amayama.com shipped from UAE to Calgary and if so what duty did you pay?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016