The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

One Punch Man is on Netflix, yay!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #1562
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Here's an article citing Amy Schumer stealing jokes. Sorry to beat the dead horse here, but I went looking for some actual examples and figured I'd share.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodwa...k53#.mjxDjRD3q

Based on what some of you guys were saying I was expecting it to be FAR worse. A lot of them are examples from movies and tv sketches that she shares writing credit for (I'm assuming she doesn't write everything), and even then some of those are a bit of a stretch. Every theme in comedy from "men are lazy" to "women are crazy" has some overlap from time to time. It's like being mad that a band uses a familiar hook in a song... it's impossible to totally avoid.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #1563
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #1564
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Here's an article citing Amy Schumer stealing jokes. Sorry to beat the dead horse here, but I went looking for some actual examples and figured I'd share.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodwa...k53#.mjxDjRD3q

Based on what some of you guys were saying I was expecting it to be FAR worse. A lot of them are examples from movies and tv sketches that she shares writing credit for (I'm assuming she doesn't write everything), and even then some of those are a bit of a stretch. Every theme in comedy from "men are lazy" to "women are crazy" has some overlap from time to time. It's like being mad that a band uses a familiar hook in a song... it's impossible to totally avoid.
There are a number of obvious or old jokes that she unfairly takes heat for, the 'pay someone to slap food out of your mouth' bit also used on the Flintstones. The article does make it seem not so bad, but if you watch her bit and Patrice's bit side by side, it pretty obvious that she stole it. She's far from being a thief like Mencia was, but it's been a constant theme through her career.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 AM   #1565
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
She's far from being a thief like Mencia was,
No, she's exactly the type of thief Mencia was. You can try and gloss over it like "Buzzfeed" (a company known for plagiarism, btw. Not a shock they'd defend a content thief) did, but every routine she does has two or three bits lifted from other comedians.

It's not a coincidence anymore. It's not "thinking the same way." It is straight up lifting jokes.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 03-23-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #1566
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Schumer steals ~5% of her material, she'd still be a successful comic without stealing, but would probably fall short of most successful female comic ever. Mencia stole nearly all of his material.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #1567
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
No, she's exactly the type of thief Mencia was. You can try and gloss over it like "Buzzfeed" (a company known for plagiarism, btw. Not a shock they'd defend a content thief) did, but every routine she does has two or three bits lifted from other comedians.

It's not a coincidence anymore. It's not "thinking the same way." It is straight up lifting jokes.
Do you have any proof that she has stolen jokes in every "routine"? I've only seen five examples and Russic is right that three of them are in her TV show or movie where other writers are involved. Patrice didn't even write his joke.

Schumer gets heat for talking about sex too much. Seriously? Has a guy ever had that said about him from, other than from prudes? No one ever complained that Patrice talked about sex too much and it was a big part of his act.

She talks about being proud of her body because for her entire career she's had to hear comments like "She's funny. I'd have sex with her if she lost 20 pounds". It's was initially a reaction to not being respected purely as a comedian. I'm sure she's gained more fans because of it, so she's definitely played it up since, but can you blame her? You'd do the same if it made you millions.

I think she's a decent comedian and her show has had some very creative episodes, especially the Twelve Angry Men parody. I haven't seen any prominent comedian doing anything but defend her. I'm not going to say she deserves to be doing arena shows based purely on talent, but she definitely doesn't deserve to be lumped in to the same category with a hack like Mencia.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #1568
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've been running a string of watching football documentaries on Netflix. I finished the last episode of season 4 of Friday Night Tykes.

I thought that the constant exposure of these coaches would make them kind of change their ways. I mean they're getting blasted regularly by other football organizations out there. But I was horrified in the finals for the TYFA championship when one of the opposing coaches was offering players $50.00 to put a player out of the game. "Put him out and you'll get rich, it's that simple". The sad thing is, it was a woman coach, and they have to do things better and more professionally then any man. It was horrifying.

Last night I started to watch Last Chance U. Its about a community college football team that gets a lot of transfers from Div 1 schools. The players that are academically ineligible or have discipline problems. And they come to this tiny school so they can get another chance to transfer back to a division one school.

The football camera work is very good, but its tough to build drama because this school gets so many div one transfers that they've won two national championships and 25 games in a row. In the first game of the season they tried to make it look dramatic but in the end the final score was like 69 to 20.

The hardest part to watch in this series is the struggle to get these guys to care about the academic part of the deal. Where they have to go to class and maintain high averages to get back to division one. And they just can't or won't do it.

But its pretty well done.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #1569
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Aziz believes her, then I believe her. Still can only take so much of her comedy, but good in small doses.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #1570
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've been running a string of watching football documentaries on Netflix. I finished the last episode of season 4 of Friday Night Tykes.

I thought that the constant exposure of these coaches would make them kind of change their ways. I mean they're getting blasted regularly by other football organizations out there. But I was horrified in the finals for the TYFA championship when one of the opposing coaches was offering players $50.00 to put a player out of the game. "Put him out and you'll get rich, it's that simple". The sad thing is, it was a woman coach, and they have to do things better and more professionally then any man. It was horrifying.

Last night I started to watch Last Chance U. Its about a community college football team that gets a lot of transfers from Div 1 schools. The players that are academically ineligible or have discipline problems. And they come to this tiny school so they can get another chance to transfer back to a division one school.

The football camera work is very good, but its tough to build drama because this school gets so many div one transfers that they've won two national championships and 25 games in a row. In the first game of the season they tried to make it look dramatic but in the end the final score was like 69 to 20.

The hardest part to watch in this series is the struggle to get these guys to care about the academic part of the deal. Where they have to go to class and maintain high averages to get back to division one. And they just can't or won't do it.

I always got the feeling from the Last Chance U guys that if they were good enough they would make it back to div 1 - that academics and such just didn't matter, only football.

Kind of sad really.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #1571
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's the scandal of Div one any sports. And the problem.

I feel sorry for that academic advisor because she starts the season with almost an impending sense of doom.

I mean on day one she's asking them if they have pencils and paper to go to class and most of them don't. She sent a player to buy his books and he bought an expensive set of headphones as well.

But she's at fault in a lot of ways because watching the show, she just coddles these kids instead of coming down and giving them the facts that no grades, no attendance no football, no transfer.

But its really tough to watch that part of the show.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 11:26 PM   #1572
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's the scandal of Div one any sports. And the problem.

I feel sorry for that academic advisor because she starts the season with almost an impending sense of doom.

I mean on day one she's asking them if they have pencils and paper to go to class and most of them don't. She sent a player to buy his books and he bought an expensive set of headphones as well.

But she's at fault in a lot of ways because watching the show, she just coddles these kids instead of coming down and giving them the facts that no grades, no attendance no football, no transfer.

But its really tough to watch that part of the show.
Not a shining endorsement for the NCAA, but we all knew that anyways. Most of those kids who lost their scholarships on that show were for legal problems, so marks were never an issue anyways.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 03-24-2017 at 06:51 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #1573
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I love Friday Night Tykes and feel as though the main coaches have changed. But this season showed more of the parents and how stupid they can be. My issue with the last episode was the kid saying that his head hurt after some big hits and then the coaches still put him back in.

As for Last Chance U. I found myself not really feeling for kids who got the world given to them and are even getting a second chance and choosing not to run with it. Side note on that, did anyone else get the impression that the Adviser was more than just an Adviser to some of those guys??
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #1574
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I love Friday Night Tykes and feel as though the main coaches have changed. But this season showed more of the parents and how stupid they can be. My issue with the last episode was the kid saying that his head hurt after some big hits and then the coaches still put him back in.
Tyfa is still not signed on to USA Footballs heads up initiative, so frankly I really hate how the coaches are teaching tackling when they show it. I think that the relationship between Fred and Maurice was so toxic and unprofessional. I don't know if they even require certification for their coaches in Tyfa. There are some good coaches in that league, but I noticed that this season they pretty much pulled the plug on that one husband and wife team that were running the Bronco's when the Tyfa guy called then whiners.

Overall, I really hate how these coaches deal with injuries with 12 year old kids, there's only so much that you can tell a kid to rub some dirt on it.

Quote:
fAs for Last Chance U. I found myself not really feeling for kids who got the world given to them and are even getting a second chance and choosing not to run with it. Side note on that, did anyone else get the impression that the Adviser was more than just an Adviser to some of those guys??
I think though that's part of the charm of the series. These kids are pretty unsympathetic as a whole. I guess the only one that I do kind of relate to is Wyatt who took the number one QB job and won't give it back. He even has the realization that he has to get serious about school because he's going nowhere in football.

I was commenting to my GF the other night about the Advisor, and even if she's not more then that to some guys. She's way too much of a fan of the football program and theses kids and she's really not getting any traction with them because of that. She's their buddy when she should be their advisor.

She did an interview where she said that Student Athletes should be allowed to get a degree in sports and the classes would be in terms of how to balance your check book and take care of your money etc. But lets be honest out of thousands of football players very few to none have a chance at making money from the sport, so a degree in Sports would be pretty useless.

She is kind of hot though.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #1575
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Tomorrow night is movie night, we're out of shows to watch with nothing that looks really good out this week. Anything to recommend from Netflix?

We've seen some, like Narcos and Stranger Things, but there is just so much Netflix content out there now.. how do you get through it all?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #1576
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

As for Last Chance U. I found myself not really feeling for kids who got the world given to them and are even getting a second chance and choosing not to run with it. Side note on that, did anyone else get the impression that the Adviser was more than just an Adviser to some of those guys??
Yup, I think she might be dipping her pen in the company ink. Seemed to be some pretty inappropriate relationships in my mind.

She no longer is an academic adviser. Works in marketing.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #1577
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

She even left the state and moved to Alabama.

She's a marketing director for a restaurant chain.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #1578
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched the final two episodes tonight that encompassed the brawl that got them thrown out of the playoffs.

I do think that the head coach really didn't handle that well, he went against everything that he was saying about being more calm. Instead he flew off of the handle and went on a rant against his players that was actually uncomfortable.

It was funny to watch because the best coaches in that program were the offensive and defensive coordinators. The defensive coordinator left to go work at Troy which is a football promotion. Marcus Wood who was the OC left the program and became the VP/Athletic director of the program and won't be coaching.

BTW even if points count, you don't call two time outs with 48 seconds left in a blowout first half, that was just dumb, and the HC had to know that the brawl was pretty much on him.

As much as we made a bit of fun at Dixie, I kind of changed my mind because A she clearly got results from these kids, and make no mistake to a player they were pretty messed up, but seeing what happened to DJ Law was actually pretty amazing, and the same with Ollie. I also get why she left too, she looked absolutely devastated when she said goodbye to all of those players, and I imagine she goes on that kind of trip twice a year, so her going on to a different career makes sense.

All in all, it was one of the better looks at what I call backwoods football that I can remember.

It would almost be fun to travel down there to take in a game.

Looking at John Franklin it looks like his career as a QB is over, when he left FSU it was because there were concerns about his arm talent and at Auburn those were proven right, it looks like he's going to be used as a wide out and a returner this year, which given his athletic ability and speed will probably get him at least some notice by the NFL.

Ollie did go to Nichols and he has been a big player for them including this

DJ Law didn't play last season for UAB, it looks like the knee injury that he had didn't heal properly and he had to have surgery that cost him last season, but that gives him an extra year of eligibility.

Wyatt eventually went back to football he went to MSU and became their scout team QB and he's working on coaching now.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #1579
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

NSFW!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #1580
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure when they put Shameless up, but I'm hooked.

It was essentially my Sunday.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote