Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #81
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
The thing that would concern me if I am the Blues or even Edmonton, is that "soft" schedules can be anything but this time of year. Teams playing for nothing tend to be more difficult opponents then not. Guys start playing for jobs, playing spoiler, etc. While the difficult teams tend to start resting players, being careful of injury...

How often did we see the Flames look like world beaters after being eliminated all those years.
You leave Akim Aliu out of this.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #82
aaron5425
Draft Pick

Looks like the Kings aren't going to make it, which is unfortunate. Iggy deserved the playoffs, although it must be nostalgic for him and Sutter to be watching the OOT like the old days.

My guess is we clinch next Wednesday at the latest. Just need them to beat Edmonton for us, but no one seems be doing us any favours in that department lately.
aaron5425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #83
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won't count the playoffs as a lock until the X is next to our name, but right now, I'd say my biggest concern is making sure St. Louis / Nashville doesn't pass us for the first wild card spot.

The team should be focused on doing everything it can to finish 2nd in the division, but at the end of the day, I think based on how we've been playing, we just want to ensure we get a Pacific division team in the first round. Despite our troubles in Anahiem, I think this Flames team has a pretty good chance at beating any of the Pacific foes, at the very least I feel much better about it than having to face the Hawks in round one. Like us, the Hawks have been among the best teams in the league in the back half, and will easily be the hardest out of any of the options we have for a first round match up.

With St.Louis' softball schedule, and our tougher one, maintaining the 1st WC spot at a minimum is pretty key IMO.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #84
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I won't count the playoffs as a lock until the X is next to our name, but right now, I'd say my biggest concern is making sure St. Louis / Nashville doesn't pass us for the first wild card spot.

The team should be focused on doing everything it can to finish 2nd in the division, but at the end of the day, I think based on how we've been playing, we just want to ensure we get a Pacific division team in the first round. Despite our troubles in Anahiem, I think this Flames team has a pretty good chance at beating any of the Pacific foes, at the very least I feel much better about it than having to face the Hawks in round one. Like us, the Hawks have been among the best teams in the league in the back half, and will easily be the hardest out of any of the options we have for a first round match up.

With St.Louis' softball schedule, and our tougher one, maintaining the 1st WC spot at a minimum is pretty key IMO.
Agreed.

Finishing 4th in the division doesn't concern me at all - I don't think the Sharks are a tougher opponent than Anaheim. The real key is avoiding the Hawks.

And just for clarity, for the Flames to finish 8th, BOTH the Blues and the Preds have to pass us. One of them (the one with the better record) will get 3rd in the Central, so we simply have to stay ahead of the one that loses that race.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #85
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed.

Finishing 4th in the division doesn't concern me at all - I don't think the Sharks are a tougher opponent than Anaheim. The real key is avoiding the Hawks.

And just for clarity, for the Flames to finish 8th, BOTH the Blues and the Preds have to pass us. One of them (the one with the better record) will get 3rd in the Central, so we simply have to stay ahead of the one that loses that race.
Big games coming up against Nashville and St. Louis will either provide separation for the 1st WC spot against those two teams or dog fight right to the end.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #86
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed.

Interesting. For some reason I had thought all along that the crossover only came into effect if 2 wild card teams from the same division earned the 2 spots. I have been thinking that as long as it was 1-1 the teams would stay in their respective division regardless of point totals.

I must be thinking cfl
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:17 AM   #87
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
I think that the Blues are a lock with their schedule. Edmonton is a lock. I'd like to see the Kings catch the Preds for Iggy's sake, but don't see that happening unless the Kings go on a serious run.
That doesn't compute, the Oilers aren't a lock. They can still choke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #88
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

BUMP

Flames magic number is down to 2.

Hope for a Kings win over the oilers tomorrow, and then a regulation Flames win on Wednesday will clinch a playoff spot.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #89
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
BUMP

Flames magic number is down to 2.

Hope for a Kings win over the oilers tomorrow, and then a regulation Flames win on Wednesday will clinch a playoff spot.
I smile everytime I hear "Oilers lose". This week is a big week as the Flames play all three California teams on the second night of their back-to-back and the Flames are rested. I can hear Oiler fans complaining... they complain about everything.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #90
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
I smile everytime I hear "Oilers lose". This week is a big week as the Flames play all three California teams on the second night of their back-to-back and the Flames are rested. I can hear Oiler fans complaining... they complain about everything.
To be fair,

Flames fans have probably brought up Oilers playing tired teams tons over the past few months.

I understand the rivalry and hate the Oilers but there is so much pettiness that is used as argumenrs. Nothing substantial... just excuses from both sides.

Oilers Win - Lucky team with Mcdavid
Flames Win - Team layed down for them
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #91
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the fact the Oilers had a team on the 2nd half of B2B 19 out of 82 games is worth complaining about imo
Old 03-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #92
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
To be fair,

Flames fans have probably brought up Oilers playing tired teams tons over the past few months.

I understand the rivalry and hate the Oilers but there is so much pettiness that is used as argumenrs. Nothing substantial... just excuses from both sides.

That last part is 50% right.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #93
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
To be fair,

I don't get into the arguments. The Flames are 4-1 at home when the other teams are in Edmonton or Vancouver the previous night. This week is a big week for the Flames as two of the three teams they are trying to catch will play the night before. Hope this trend continues in their favour and allow the Flames to finish higher in the standings. I am hoping that the Flames can reach 100 points and have home ice advantage in the first round.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsquared1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #94
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Well the fact the Oilers had a team on the 2nd half of B2B 19 out of 82 games is worth complaining about imo
Well my argument would be that now that we are closing off the season... teams at this point are most tired after playing 75+ games and at such an important time, the Flames are at the tail end of 3 back to backs this week... when the standings matter the most.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:58 AM   #95
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting another thing in this thread.

Remaining schedules of the other teams - Bold = playoff teams

For the Wild Card spots

Nashville - Toronto, Minnesota, St. Louis, Islanders, Dallas, Winnipeg
St. Louis - Arizona, Colorado, Nashville, Winnipeg, Florida, Carolina, Colorado

Suffice it to say that St. Louis should take 3rd in the pacific rather easily because wow that's an easy schedule. So removing them from the equation, we are left with Nashville. We own the tiebreaker and we have a 1 point lead with 6 games remaining. If we go 3-3-0, they would need to go 4-2 to pass us. If they do so, the Flames will face Chicago barring some strange event like SJ going 0-6-0 the rest of the way or something similarly weird.

In the division

Edmonton - San Jose, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Vancouver, Vancouver

Those gimme games against Vancouver and them having a 3 point lead makes it very unlikely that the Flames catch Edmonton.

San Jose - Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary

The Sharks do struggle against Vancouver for some reason, so it's possible that if the Flames win the games against the Sharks they could pass them. Uphill climb either way.

Anaheim - Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Calgary, Chicago, Los Angeles

Unless Calgary wins out, and the Ducks somehow lose 2 of the other games is the only way for the Flames to finish ahead of the Ducks. Not likely going to happen.

So how this will likely shake out based on the competition and the other team's schedules is that the Flames will face either Anaheim or Chicago in round 1. With Nashville and St. Louis cream puff remaining schedules, Chicago is looking more likely. The Flames will need a 4-2 record probably to avoid the Hawks.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #96
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barring the Wild losing out, they look to finish at least 3rd in their division which takes them out of the wildcard race. All that needs to happen is a Wild win or a Preds loss.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #97
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ducks magic number to clinch 1st place in the div is 1.5 (3 points). To clinch 2nd place in the div and home ice is 0.5 (1 point).
Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #98
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ducks magic number to clinch 1st place in the div is now 0.5 (1 point). Anaheim has clinched 2nd place in the div and home ice. The Oilers magic number for 2nd place is 0.5 (1 point).
Old 04-09-2017, 04:30 AM   #99
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers have clinched at least 2nd place in the division. The Ducks need to get 1 point in their game or any loss by the Oilers to come 1st in the division.