Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #61
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Bow is about the only thing skiable right now. Tracked pretty good over the weekend, but still freshies to be had. Not too many sharks, but be careful. Mid and back bowl were better.
That's disappointing, especially considering the interior has apparently been in good shape for weeks now.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #62
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Ridiculous. Hopefully they hurt a little due to the economy and bad rep from the last couple seasons and drop prices
Louise - $99
Revvy - $102 (after the extra $7 tax)
Pano - $99 (after the extra $7 tax)

Ticket prices have been going up a couple bucks almost every year at any resort I can think of. And since they're paying more in wages this year, and installed that new chair you love last year, this year out of any a ticket increase should have been expected. Should every resort suffer for raising prices? It's not like rising prices are exclusive to the ski industry, or to Sunshine (and I'm usually the last person to defend Sunshine).

They'll bump them up another $5 this year, people will still be parked from the parking lot to the highway on a weekend, and it supports them raising it another $5 next year. In fact with the free park entrance and low dollar it will probably be busier than ever this year. So they'll be able to raise it $10 next year.

But why on earth are you buying tickets at the window? You know you're going to ski this year get a card, or a Mountain Collective pass, or one of the many other options for buying cheaper tickets.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #63
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still really early but Sunshine looks in peak form already based on their instagram posts.

In other news, it's official. A lift ticket at Sunshine is now $99.

Ridiculous. Hopefully they hurt a little due to the economy and bad rep from the last couple seasons and drop prices, but that's not going to happen.
It is getting ridiculous. At these prices and yearly increases I think that skiing in Western Canada is going to be dead in a generation.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #64
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It is getting ridiculous. At these prices and yearly increases I think that skiing in Western Canada is going to be dead in a generation.
Just like golf IMO.

For 1 day of skiing for a family of 4 you are looking at:
- $420 for tickets
- $20-$30 for lunch and snacks if you pack your own.
- $40 or so for gas
- $20 for park pass.

So about $500/day without including any gear costs.

Last edited by Weitz; 11-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #65
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
But why on earth are you buying tickets at the window? You know you're going to ski this year get a card, or a Mountain Collective pass, or one of the many other options for buying cheaper tickets.
I won't be buying at the window and I'll be going to Sunshine and Louise a lot less, simply becoming too expensive to ski at the big Canadian resorts. It's still ridiculous that they raise them every year.

Like the other guys are saying, they're pricing casual skiers out of being able to go skiing with their families and friends. Killing the sport for short term gain.

Last edited by polak; 11-01-2016 at 11:25 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #66
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Not saying it's not stupid expensive, but the kicker is though, Western Canada is still cheaper than most places.

Jackson Hole - $130
Telluride - $104
Mammoth - $94 (that's with a pre-purchase discount, can't find current window prices, but they were approx ~$120 a couple years ago.)
Vail - $149 (pre-purchase discount)
Aspen - $145
Breckenridge - $112

And those are in USD.

Japan is on par with our prices, maybe slightly more. And we're cheaper than what I've seen in Europe.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #67
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just like golf IMO.

For 1 day of skiing for a family of 4 you are looking at:
- $420 for tickets
- $20-$30 for lunch and snacks if you pack your own.
- $40 or so for gas
- $20 for park pass.

So about $500/day without including any gear costs.
Yeah, golf and skiing are going to find growth to be difficult in the future. I picked up RCR Rockies passes for my kids this year because they were only $20 each. We might make a weekend trip out to Kimberley this year but that will be the only skiing we do. I'll probably go for the cheap days at Norquay just to get out. The annual passes are actually not that expensive but when you have kids playing hockey, doing cheerleading/gymnastics and swimming lessons on weekends it is tough to hit the mountains.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #68
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not saying it's not stupid expensive, but the kicker is though, Western Canada is still cheaper than most places.
Unless you count Whistler and its $140 window tickets.

Anyway, a Louise Plus / Sunshine card combined with the fact that there's no charge for the national park next year takes the sting out of the rates.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #69
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nakiska just announced they're opening next weekend.

It's happening
Old 11-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #70
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Even better, Sunshine is opening this Thursday!
Old 11-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #71
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's awesome places are opening early. I just hope it's consistent snow throughout the season instead of a big dump at the start and then end.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #72
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
That's awesome places are opening early. I just hope it's consistent snow throughout the season instead of a big dump at the start and then end.
Yup. We've been seeing a ton of percipitation since June and seeing as how it's an El Nina winter, hopefully this is just a sign of what's to come!

The video kicking horse posted yesterday was unreal. Knee deep powder.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #73
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup. We've been seeing a ton of percipitation since June and seeing as how it's an El Nina winter, hopefully this is just a sign of what's to come!

The video kicking horse posted yesterday was unreal. Knee deep powder.
The predicted El Nina isn't actually going to happen.

https://weather.com/news/climate/new...date-september
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #74
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ugh and yeah, as great as it is that sunshine is opening early this year, it's supposed to be in the high teens for the rest of the week.

Spring skiing in November anyone?

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-49_metric_e.html
Old 11-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #75
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ugh and yeah, as great as it is that sunshine is opening early this year, it's supposed to be in the high teens for the rest of the week.
The warmest your link shows is one day not even breaking mid-teens.

And look 300m higher or so:
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...nshine-village
Old 11-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #76
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Haha I actually have a picture of the forecast for banff as of a couple days ago. Friday was 15 and Saturday was 16. Do I really need to prove this?

Anyways, I went to Sunshine today. Not bad, not great. It was warm but the wind was cold so it wasn't to bad. Snow has obviously seen a few freeze and thaw cycles but coverage wise it wasn't bad.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #77
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha I actually have a picture of the forecast for banff as of a couple days ago. Friday was 15 and Saturday was 16. Do I really need to prove this?
No, I saw the Banff forecast, I was suggesting looking at the Sunshine forecast, since it was 5-10 degrees cooler and not much to get worked up about.

It was more just an aside at how hilariously accurate your avatar is.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #78
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
No, I saw the Banff forecast, I was suggesting looking at the Sunshine forecast, since it was 5-10 degrees cooler and not much to get worked up about.

It was more just an aside at how hilariously accurate your avatar is.
Yeah I didn't know there was a Sunshine forecast on tbe weather network website. Its weird that sunshines own website takes you to banffs forecast.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #79
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its weird that sunshines own website takes you to banffs forecast.
That is odd.

If you've never used mountain-forecast.com it's really good too for finding temps at elevation. I use it for backcountry extensively, and it's pretty good for resorts too. Usually more accurate than the resort pages/nearby towns.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #80
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Final reminder that if anyone wants to get the ski/board tune special it ends on Monday. Current price is $25 for skis and $30 for snowboards for complete tune ups. The price goes to our regular rate of $50 on Tuesday.
Just want to say thanks for the info. Brought mine in last week, picked them up Friday. Sweet deal.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherry cherry pow pow , footy for the boys , total sendy