Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #1381
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Really? I would agree with enjoyable but I certainly think Cat Tails is the most challenging 9.

I do sometimes enjoy playing River Spirit but I find it is just priced way too high. I would rather play elsewhere if I am shelling out $110 bucks on a Saturday.
Interesting. I have a few buddies who are members and we tend to avoid Cattails when possible. Just not our preference I suppose. I have played 10-15 rounds this year and maybe it's just my playstyle but I tend to have an easier time on Cattails.

I definitely agree with you about the pricing however, if it were not for the guest rate I would absolutely prefer to play elsewhere for a similar price.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #1382
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

With my season over due to a torn tendon in my finger I decided to send an email to my pro to offer up my services as a course marshall for the rest of the season. I thought it might help with golf withdrawals.

On the other hand I could rule with an iron fist and make a few enemies

Seriously though it's something i've had on my bucket list.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #1383
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Being a volunteer golf course marshall is on your bucket list? I don't mean any offense but can we see the rest of this list? I'd like to see where you've placed "construction flag man" and "security guard"?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #1384
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Being a volunteer golf course marshall is on your bucket list? I don't mean any offense but can we see the rest of this list? I'd like to see where you've placed "construction flag man" and "security guard"?
My late father was a course marshall for many years and I thought i'd give it a try.

Top of my list is crab fishing on the Bearing Sea with Sig Hansen and his crew on the Northwestern
Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #1385
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone know if Golf Traders has sales throughout the off season? Looking to buy a 4 iron but could hold off if there will be better deals coming in the next few months.
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #1386
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played Banff Springs for the first time yesterday, spectacular and a tough test.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #1387
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Played Pinebrook today for the first time and really liked it. The course is really well manicured and the greens were a challenge. Would love to play there again one day.
Tomorrow is McCall in the morning followed by Silver Springs in the afternoon. Rounds on Sunday and Monday at Silver Springs to round out the weekend.
Hope my back holds out.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #1388
Gord_Wappel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Played Pinebrook today for the first time and really liked it. The course is really well manicured and the greens were a challenge. Would love to play there again one day.
Tomorrow is McCall in the morning followed by Silver Springs in the afternoon. Rounds on Sunday and Monday at Silver Springs to round out the weekend.
Hope my back holds out.
One of these things is not like the other....one of these things just doesn't belong...
Gord_Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #1389
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
Played Banff Springs for the first time yesterday, spectacular and a tough test.
Were the greens any good? Played it last month and they were terrible for the green fee they charge. Beautiful scenery and good golf course though.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #1390
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Were the greens any good? Played it last month and they were terrible for the green fee they charge. Beautiful scenery and good golf course though.
Yes, in great shape, receptive and quick.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #1391
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I thought that about the course in general. We only payed $80 on a special deal 2 years ago. Don't think I will ever go back. Not worth it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #1392
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone previously heard of the Major Series of Putting that is happening right now? I just saw a commercial for it and checked out the website. https://msop.com/en/qualifier#

It looks like it could be fun and the qualifiers are only $10 in Calgary and happening all this month. I might actually sign up for a spot and try it out.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #1393
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I also just saw it for the first time last night and I think you are 2 days short
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #1394
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
I also just saw it for the first time last night and I think you are 2 days short
The schedule shows more qualifiers on Sept 16 & 17 as well as Sept 30 & Oct 1. With another round of finals on Oct 6.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #1395
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The schedule shows more qualifiers on Sept 16 & 17 as well as Sept 30 & Oct 1. With another round of finals on Oct 6.
Youre right, my bad. I was looking at it on my phone.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #1396
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FInally pulled the trigger on new irons last week. Have played 2 rounds of 9 holes with them just at Shag so that I could hit irons a lot.

Very happy so far! have added 15-20 yards per club which is really going to help my game out I think.

Ended up going with the Callaway XR's with regular shafts.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #1397
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
FInally pulled the trigger on new irons last week. Have played 2 rounds of 9 holes with them just at Shag so that I could hit irons a lot.

Very happy so far! have added 15-20 yards per club which is really going to help my game out I think.

Ended up going with the Callaway XR's with regular shafts.
Oh, those tricky iron-makers with their gimmick lofts...

No, I'm glad you're happy with the distance improvement, but that's because the lofts are jacked - 44 degree PW, 39 degree 9 iron, etc. And if you swapped from a stiff to regular shaft, that also increases distance a bit too usually. Those lofts are pretty standard these days, but the makers just keep changing them to make it seem like distance is increasing.

By contrast, my old Ping Eyes that I use have a 51 degree PW and 46 degree 9 iron.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #1398
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Oh, those tricky iron-makers with their gimmick lofts...

No, I'm glad you're happy with the distance improvement, but that's because the lofts are jacked - 44 degree PW, 39 degree 9 iron, etc. And if you swapped from a stiff to regular shaft, that also increases distance a bit too usually. Those lofts are pretty standard these days, but the makers just keep changing them to make it seem like distance is increasing.

By contrast, my old Ping Eyes that I use have a 51 degree PW and 46 degree 9 iron.
I was a regular shaft before too (or uniflex cause they were #### irons haha). But the distance is helpful because so many of my clubs were sort of useless in their distance prior. Its easier to have control on my distance now (in my limited play).

Playing blue devil tomorrow so we shall see how they hold up on a real course.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #1399
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
I was a regular shaft before too (or uniflex cause they were #### irons haha). But the distance is helpful because so many of my clubs were sort of useless in their distance prior. Its easier to have control on my distance now (in my limited play).

Playing blue devil tomorrow so we shall see how they hold up on a real course.
Makes sense - well, as long as you're happy with the distance and hit them consistently, doesn't matter what lofts they are! All about the consistency really.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #1400
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Makes sense - well, as long as you're happy with the distance and hit them consistently, doesn't matter what lofts they are! All about the consistency really.
Thats the whole game really.

"Hey look 100 yards out and I stick it 2 feet from the pin Woooo"

"Hey look 100 yards out and I chunk it 75 yards"

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow