Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2024, 11:36 AM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Accounting and Taxes Thread

Surprisingly (or not), we have quite a few accountants in here. Hopefully, out of love for their profession, they would be kind enough to throw a few freebies and answer some silly general questions in this thread from us plebes...

I'll kick it off with a simple one (right?); does CRA have any accountability for the time they take to review audit responses? They certainly have very little patience themselves when it comes to requesting documents in support of audit inquiries. And G-d forbid, you miss their deadlines to respond; re-assessments come back at you fast and furious. Conversely, when everything is copied, mailed, uploaded, provided etc. they sure take their sweet time to look at it and respond. Not only that, they give you f... all as to when you might even expect their response.

Case in point: back in July of 2023 I was asked to provide receipts supporting employment expenses, which I filed promptly on MyCRA. Three months passed - nothing. Called in October, spoke to someone: "oh, looks like nobody had a chance to see it for some reason; why don't you re-upload, so that we can now assign a special review number to your file". No apology, just a matter of fact. Happens, eh. Done. Nine months later now, still nothing. Called again. "Oh, yeah, we see it, it's in the cue." When can I expect a response? "We don't give this information, because we don't know"... I mean, come on. It has to be at least some form of a guideline on their response timing. CRA is becoming a Canadian version of KGB - clandestine, secretive, accountable to nobody. You cant' even sue them, really.

Added for GGG:

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 03-30-2024 at 02:49 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-30-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

How many threads do you people need?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:42 AM   #3
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

When it comes to tax accountants, the conversation begins and ends with Locke.

The man has saved me and made me thousands of dollars I would have never got trying to do it on my own.

AAA++++++ would tax return again.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 11:47 AM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly Tax is my specialty.

As was mentioned in one of the other threads, and its probably a good idea to centralize things a little bit.

Its good to get advice from people who are more concerned about protecting your money as opposed to taking it.

As many other Accountants on here have mentioned, a little bit of free Tax advice can save a considerable series of headaches and money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:04 PM   #5
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How many threads do you people need?
That's a stretch.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:07 PM   #6
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Clearly Tax is my specialty.

As was mentioned in one of the other threads, and its probably a good idea to centralize things a little bit.

Its good to get advice from people who are more concerned about protecting your money as opposed to taking it.

As many other Accountants on here have mentioned, a little bit of free Tax advice can save a considerable series of headaches and money.
Pffft...if the advice had any value, good accountants wouldn't be giving it away for free.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:22 PM   #7
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Coincidentally, I was just looking into this this morning.

Can money be moved from my RSP, soon to be RIF, to my grandchilds RDSP without taking a tax hit? Is this something an accountant or tax lawyer can set up? Revenue Canada's site is quite vague on the RDSP.

I have an accountant, insofar as I have someone whose done my taxes for a decade, however my sense last year when I brought this up is that he is not that knowledgeable on the RDSP.
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:32 PM   #8
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Pffft...if the advice had any value, good accountants wouldn't be giving it away for free.
On a serious note, I have employees I've recommended Locke to, and they are like. "OMG $200 to file my taxes! I can use super-duper community cloud share tax for free!" Meanwhile I know they are probably leaving a couple grand on the table, to save $200 in-the-moment.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 01:18 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread needs a picture of a helicopter in the first post
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 02:49 PM   #10
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well to my question then?
Old 03-30-2024, 03:20 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I'll kick it off with a simple one (right?); does CRA have any accountability for the time they take to review audit responses? They certainly have very little patience themselves when it comes to requesting documents in support of audit inquiries. And G-d forbid, you miss their deadlines to respond; re-assessments come back at you fast and furious. Conversely, when everything is copied, mailed, uploaded, provided etc. they sure take their sweet time to look at it and respond. Not only that, they give you f... all as to when you might even expect their response.

Case in point: back in July of 2023 I was asked to provide receipts supporting employment expenses, which I filed promptly on MyCRA. Three months passed - nothing. Called in October, spoke to someone: "oh, looks like nobody had a chance to see it for some reason; why don't you re-upload, so that we can now assign a special review number to your file". No apology, just a matter of fact. Happens, eh. Done. Nine months later now, still nothing. Called again. "Oh, yeah, we see it, it's in the cue." When can I expect a response? "We don't give this information, because we don't know"... I mean, come on. It has to be at least some form of a guideline on their response timing. CRA is becoming a Canadian version of KGB - clandestine, secretive, accountable to nobody. You cant' even sue them, really.
1. No. Not unless you literally Sue them. Which you generally dont want to do. Firstly because Tax Lawyer cost a fortune and secondly because they absolutely do hold grudges.

2. Thats not uncommon at all.

In fact, within the last few years I've noticed that CRA have even stopped sending out responses of how your case worked out.

If they deem that you owe them money they will send a NoRA accompanied by a bill with a threat of more penalties and interest.

If they deem that everything is fine you will likely get complete silence. "No news is Good News?"

They used to commonly issue statements notifying the Taxpayer that the matter is resolved and the case is closed, but thats hit or miss these days.

The problem with electronically uploading documents to CRA, and yes, I know this sounds stupid, is that it can go anywhere....up to and including nowhere.

I had an issue a few years back where I uploaded a client's documents and a third of it went to Winnipeg (where it was supposed to go) a third of it went to Surrey and a third of it went to Ottawa.

This wasn't 3 separate submissions. This was all submitted at the same time under the same confirmation number.

Why did it get broken up and go to 3 different places to be reviewed by a half-dozen different people?

CRA: *shrugs* All Shoulders. "Maybe send it again? Are you sure you sent it?"

I have a confirmation number. I PDF every confirmation number and save it in the client's file. How can it be simply 'gone?'

I know it sounds nuts, but it happens.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 03:21 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Well to my question then?
And you gotta go with Air Wolf!

Old 03-30-2024, 03:40 PM   #13
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And you gotta go with Air Wolf!

No way, more like
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 03:43 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
No way, more like
Sir...I say....

Old 03-30-2024, 04:00 PM   #15
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with electronically uploading documents to CRA, and yes, I know this sounds stupid, is that it can go anywhere....up to and including nowhere.
This is all rather depressing...

Thanks for the response.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:43 PM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey brewery View Post
Coincidentally, I was just looking into this this morning.

Can money be moved from my RSP, soon to be RIF, to my grandchilds RDSP without taking a tax hit? Is this something an accountant or tax lawyer can set up? Revenue Canada's site is quite vague on the RDSP.

I have an accountant, insofar as I have someone whose done my taxes for a decade, however my sense last year when I brought this up is that he is not that knowledgeable on the RDSP.
You want a financial advisor for this. Money can be moved from the RSP to RIF and from there it will come out (taxable) and could be moved to the RDSP from there. Off the top of my head, I’m not sure there’s a mechanism to go from your RIF to your grandchild’s RDSP without tax (but could find out for sure).

I know you can transfer from a deceased parent or grandparents RRSP/RRIF to the RDSP of a child or grandchild. I’m just not sure there is anything to facilitate this while you’re alive.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 06:01 PM   #17
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
1. No. Not unless you literally Sue them. Which you generally dont want to do. Firstly because Tax Lawyer cost a fortune and secondly because they absolutely do hold grudges.

2. Thats not uncommon at all.

In fact, within the last few years I've noticed that CRA have even stopped sending out responses of how your case worked out.

If they deem that you owe them money they will send a NoRA accompanied by a bill with a threat of more penalties and interest.

If they deem that everything is fine you will likely get complete silence. "No news is Good News?"

They used to commonly issue statements notifying the Taxpayer that the matter is resolved and the case is closed, but thats hit or miss these days.

I had an issue a few years back where I uploaded a client's documents and a third of it went to Winnipeg (where it was supposed to go) a third of it went to Surrey and a third of it went to Ottawa.

This wasn't 3 separate submissions. This was all submitted at the same time under the same confirmation number.

Why did it get broken up and go to 3 different places to be reviewed by a half-dozen different people?

CRA: *shrugs* All Shoulders. "Maybe send it again? Are you sure you sent it?"

I have a confirmation number. I PDF every confirmation number and save it in the client's file. How can it be simply 'gone?'

I know it sounds nuts, but it happens.
It's become absurd the past couple years. Feels like they are short on staff/competent staff while more tax legislation/filing obligations are being implemented. These put the onus on individuals and their accountants to decipher what needs to be filed to avoid significant financial penalties.

Kim Moody sums up my feelings pretty well: https://financialpost.com/personal-f...ax-legislation
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 07:17 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the meantime, the accounting profession has work to do to bring back the allure to prospective students. It’s a great career.

If you work with a good accountant, give them a hug this tax season. They’re valuable, important and dealing with very difficult issues. And it may be tough for you to find a replacement.
1. Its not the 'Accounting Profession's responsibility to 'bring back the allure' to prospective students. That sounds...well...it sounds like creepy 'grooming.'

2. Uh...no hugs required?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
atb
Old 03-31-2024, 08:05 PM   #19
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I wanna give a shout-out to Locke, had a 20 minute chat with him about some obscure ish tax questions and the dudes knowledge of tax and business implications is only paralleled by his humour. Full marks and solid guy.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 08:09 PM   #20
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Got mine done and filed a month early. Only 52 weeks till I kick the family out for a day so I can cuss up a storm finding everything and doing them for next year.