Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #141
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Reading through these posts either people are putting things in recycling they shouldn't or I'm not putting enough in. I mean, if I have a cardboard box that has a bunch of french fry oil spilled on it, I would consider that cardboard box garbage. If that's still recyclable then I feel sorry for the sorters.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #142
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Reading through these posts either people are putting things in recycling they shouldn't or I'm not putting enough in. I mean, if I have a cardboard box that has a bunch of french fry oil spilled on it, I would consider that cardboard box garbage. If that's still recyclable then I feel sorry for the sorters.
What do you do with pizza boxes?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #143
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am not familiar with the details within the City of Calgary, but I have worked with many municipalities with their solid waste programs. The vast majority of them do not charge enough in collection fees to pay for their operations and the shortfall ends up coming out of general revenues (i.e. property taxes). It is only recently that cities are mandated to account for the full life-cycle costs of their landfills, including closure costs, through accounting standards. So I highly doubt garbage is a profit marker for the City of Calgary as some in this thread state.
In an ideal world people would pay the life-cycle cost of items up front when they first purchase it and not be taxed at disposal. When you buy something, whether it be a fridge or a box of cereal, you pay the full cost to get rid of it when you are done up front. Then it doesn’t cost you anything when it’s time to get rid of it as that program has already been funded. This way you would see way less illegal dumping and it would encourage manufactures to develop more environmentally friendly products and packaging. Unfortunately that is difficult to do as it requires municipal/provincial/federal and even international cooperation.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #144
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I am not familiar with the details within the City of Calgary, but I have worked with many municipalities with their solid waste programs. The vast majority of them do not charge enough in collection fees to pay for their operations and the shortfall ends up coming out of general revenues (i.e. property taxes). It is only recently that cities are mandated to account for the full life-cycle costs of their landfills, including closure costs, through accounting standards. So I highly doubt garbage is a profit marker for the City of Calgary as some in this thread state.
In an ideal world people would pay the life-cycle cost of items up front when they first purchase it and not be taxed at disposal. When you buy something, whether it be a fridge or a box of cereal, you pay the full cost to get rid of it when you are done up front. Then it doesn’t cost you anything when it’s time to get rid of it as that program has already been funded. This way you would see way less illegal dumping and it would encourage manufactures to develop more environmentally friendly products and packaging. Unfortunately that is difficult to do as it requires municipal/provincial/federal and even international cooperation.
That seems fair. Tax new products because of their cardboard and plastic packaging but no tax if it's packaged in recycled material.

Don't we pay that already with the environmental levy though?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #145
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there any real reason the City does it's own garbage/recycling collection? Smaller municipalities in Alberta seem to have no issue contracting to third party providers and companies like WM and Progressive seem to service the commercial market here without issue.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #146
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Is there any real reason the City does it's own garbage/recycling collection? Smaller municipalities in Alberta seem to have no issue contracting to third party providers and companies like WM and Progressive seem to service the commercial market here without issue.
Good question. Do you know if the revenue figures for the recycling are available anywhere? I've asked numerous times in the "I work for Nenshi" thread but never get an answer.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #147
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
They mentioned specifically that pizza boxes are ok to put in your blue bin on the pamphlet that came with it.

I'm pretty sure a splash of french fry oil is alright.

I do find waste management in general could do a better job informing people. In every public space I now have no idea if "recyclables" means bottles/cans, or more akin to what my blue bin at home can handle.

At work, the pamphlet, and Oxford's reps, tell us that coffee cups can go in the recycling. Every where else I've read says that they can't be recycled most places as it's a very specialized process.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #148
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

Because mob.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #149
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fyi for anybody interested the city will be providing an in home green bin you can place under your sink.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #150
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm so sick of the rediculous fees the city of chestermere charges with only being able to have 1 bag of garbage I don't really care anymore if something is sorted properly. At least in Calgary it is cheaper and you can put out more garbage every week.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #151
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I'm so sick of the rediculous fees the city of chestermere charges with only being able to have 1 bag of garbage I don't really care anymore if something is sorted properly. At least in Calgary it is cheaper and you can put out more garbage every week.
Over the last couple of months, I got rid of a pile of home Reno waste that had been sitting in my yard, simply by filling my black bin every week. The last of the pile was actually picked up today, and now I'll go back to having only a small bag in my black bin every week.

Several weeks in a row, I filled the bin up with bricks, and I wouldn't doubt if those bins weighed well over 500 pounds.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #152
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Now, you could throw it in the green bin. That is all compostable.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #153
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm curious to know if these programs are extended into the commercial level. I've seen what a restaurant or grocery store would throw out in one day, both blue and green bin materials, I feel like that would make a greater impact for less cost to the taxpayer.

One giant bin verses a neighbourhood of bins
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #154
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
I'm curious to know if these programs are extended into the commercial level. I've seen what a restaurant or grocery store would throw out in one day, both blue and green bin materials, I feel like that would make a greater impact for less cost to the taxpayer.

One giant bin verses a neighbourhood of bins
In office towers there are highly stringent requirements for waste diversion with fines for not meeting them
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #155
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there was another discussion on green bins in a thread but I couldn't find it.

My green bin collection starts next week and I haven't started throwing food waste in there yet. Is there anything I should do before I start using it? We have the small counter top container and we will be using compostable bags but I'm wondering if there are any other steps I should take before filling the green bin up? I plan to keep the green bin in a shadier part of my yard so that it doesn't get too hot and stinky.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #156
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I think there was another discussion on green bins in a thread but I couldn't find it.

My green bin collection starts next week and I haven't started throwing food waste in there yet. Is there anything I should do before I start using it? We have the small counter top container and we will be using compostable bags but I'm wondering if there are any other steps I should take before filling the green bin up? I plan to keep the green bin in a shadier part of my yard so that it doesn't get too hot and stinky.
As long as you used decent quality bags you should be good. Keeping the bin in the shade helps for the minor spills from tears. The only other advice I can offer is try to put larger items like pumpkins that don't fit in bags in the bin as close to the collection time as possible. Some napkins or paper towels at the bottom of the bin help prevent things from getting stuck to the bottom.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #157
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
As long as you used decent quality bags you should be good. Keeping the bin in the shade helps for the minor spills from tears. The only other advice I can offer is try to put larger items like pumpkins that don't fit in bags in the bin as close to the collection time as possible. Some napkins or paper towels at the bottom of the bin help prevent things from getting stuck to the bottom.
Cool. We have some large absorbent pads at work that might be good for the bottom of the bin
Old 08-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #158
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

So most things you bag before putting in the green bin?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #159
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So most things you bag before putting in the green bin?
Yeah. We have some little plastic bags that we use to line the pail that came with the green bin. The bags are approved by the city.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #160
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think mine is supposed to arrive in September.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote