Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #101
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Because I'm being forced to pay for and do something I didn't ask for. A profit for the city. If they would of said, come pick up a green bin and help the environment I might of gotten two. And here's a smaller closed one you can put under your sink temporarily.

City cash grab yet again.
Man I hate it when people immediately call anything they don't agree with a cash grab. It's the laziest type of argument out there.

I don't like it, and it costs something.
I'm not going to objectively look at/for any information regarding the costs/benefits of this program. Instead I'm going to call it a cash grab!

You guys keep saying things like "did anyone look at X", or "I just want to see X".
Have you actually done any digging around for yourself?
Have you tried to get any of those questions answered?
Have you even googled it?

Nope! Therefore: Cash Grab!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #102
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Man I hate it when people immediately call anything they don't agree with a cash grab. It's the laziest type of argument out there.

I'm not going to objectively look at/for any information regarding the costs/benefits of this program. Instead I'm going to call it a cash grab!

You guys keep saying things like "did anyone look at X", or "I just want to see X".

So where's the evidence you are using? I see several people asking for details on numbers, on cost/benefit analysis, etc. Yet instead you choose to point fingers and call names. Very mature!

Here's a start from TO:

https://www.thestar.com/news/investi...ed_effort.html
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #103
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Man I hate it when someone assumes I haven't been doing research.

How do you know I haven't done some digging and called the city to ask how this is going to work.
How do you know I haven't listened to the radio, read a number of articles in the paper and even googled it before complaining about it. I hate it when people assume that.

I'm calling it what it is - a cash grab. The city won't pay for it out of the surplus of funds they had last year and are telling everybody they can pay for this green bin they didn't ask for.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #104
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Lazy people don't come here to ask questions. Lazy people would rather just pay and not waste their time learning about what they are paying for.

And I think it goes without saying that the City Hall doesn't have a particularly great record when it comes to money management. Same probably goes for most cities...no surprise that lazy people are asking questions.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #105
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

What if you already don't have the space (rear alley property line frontage) to store the blue and black bins? Where am I suppose to put this green bin?

Can someone clarify if I can chop up the green bin and recycle it in my blue bin?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #106
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
What if you already don't have the space (rear alley property line frontage) to store the blue and black bins? Where am I suppose to put this green bin?

Can someone clarify if I can chop up the green bin and recycle it in my blue bin?
You'd be smarter to chop up the black bin and put in in the blue bin. Once you get going on Blue/Green, there isn't much left to go in the black.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #107
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

Oh one of those classic Calgary 6 foot wide lots.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #108
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Oh one of those classic Calgary 6 foot wide lots.
Its actually a 25' wide lot with a 20' garage in the middle with a transformer encroaching one side. So in fact I have about 3'-4' of alley frontage to work with.

This is real problem in lots of communities around the city.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #109
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
As for styrofoam. Can't you put that in the blue bins? I thought they just send it off to another facility. That was what I thought the city said.
While Styrofoam is technically recyclable, the demand for it by reprocessors is essentially zero, with no chance of that ever rising. The city saves time and money by asking you to throw it into the black bin, because the styrofoam would simply end up in the landfill anyway.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #110
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
You'd be smarter to chop up the black bin and put in in the blue bin. Once you get going on Blue/Green, there isn't much left to go in the black.
Other than the odd styrofoam packaging, plastic wrap, and bathroom garbage cans, I can't really think of anything I'd use the black bin for. I'd be lucky to even half fill that thing every month TBH. It's too bad there's no incentive to reduce black bin garbage, like if I can reduce my garbage bill by only needing the black truck to come by every 2 months.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #111
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
So where's the evidence you are using? I see several people asking for details on numbers, on cost/benefit analysis, etc. Yet instead you choose to point fingers and call names. Very mature!

Here's a start from TO:

https://www.thestar.com/news/investi...ed_effort.html

I'm not using any evidence.
I'm also not making any claims.
I haven't put any effort into looking into the program so I'm not going to complain and or praise the program based on no information.

My issue isn't that people are against the program, my issue is that people seem to be against the program without even trying to look for any useful information on it.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #112
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

One more thing, can I directly dump dirt and grass into the green bin? If so, I'm going to stop using garbage bags when I mow the grass, and just empty the lawnmower bag into the bin. That could be pretty handy.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #113
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
One more thing, can I directly dump dirt and grass into the green bin? If so, I'm going to stop using garbage bags when I mow the grass, and just empty the lawnmower bag into the bin. That could be pretty handy.
Yes, you can dump your grass in them. Not sure about dirt though.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #114
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Because I'm being forced to pay for and do something I didn't ask for. A profit for the city. If they would of said, come pick up a green bin and help the environment I might of gotten two. And here's a smaller closed one you can put under your sink temporarily.

City cash grab yet again.
I didn't ask for a paved road in front of my house, I'd rather have a bike lane beside a pot holed, unmaintained gravel road to slow down traffic in front of my house.

The paved road costs about 15x as much to maintain.

Cash grab!

They have to make decisions on our behalf for what they perceive to be the greater good. That's how government works.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #115
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I didn't ask for a paved road in front of my house, I'd rather have a bike lane beside a pot holed, unmaintained gravel road to slow down traffic in front of my house.

Cash grab!

They have to make decisions on our behalf for what they perceive to be the greater good. That's how government works.
Didn't the city run a surplus last year? Can some of the 2.4 billion that will be raised from the carbon tax go towards green bins? Or are we just throwing money at the government?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #116
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not using any evidence.
I'm also not making any claims.
I haven't put any effort into looking into the program so I'm not going to complain and or praise the program based on no information.

My issue isn't that people are against the program, my issue is that people seem to be against the program without even trying to look for any useful information on it.
You claimed nobody did any research when clearly people have.

It seems it's not the people you are claiming that are failing to do their due diligence.... By the way, I've decided to do an air pollution reduction program for your benefit. It's only $5 a month and I've decided to donate all the proceeds to Calgarypuck. You can send them the payment directly.... Thanks!
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #117
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
You claimed nobody did any research when clearly people have.

It seems it's not the people you are claiming that are failing to do their due diligence.... By the way, I've decided to do an air pollution reduction program for your benefit. It's only $5 a month and I've decided to donate all the proceeds to Calgarypuck. You can send them the payment directly.... Thanks!
It's only $5. No big deal.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #118
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

Cash grab!

Post of the year candidate.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #119
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't the city run a surplus last year?
Can some of the 2.4 billion that will be raised from the carbon tax go towards green bins? Or are we just throwing money at the government?
I don't know if they ran a surplus, but I would imagine that would go back into the reserve to help in years such as this year when revenues will be down...and if they did apply the surplus it would only be for one year and you would still be paying for the green cart eventually.
If I am not mistaken, the carbon tax is entirely from the provincial government, good luck getting them to give that to the cities for already planned projects such as this. We have no idea what the prov gov't is going to do with the carbon tax
Old 05-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #120
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Post of the year candidate.
Not really. It's been brought up numerous times on cp. You can read about the same type of thing in the Calgary next thread or in the ring road thread. Some people believe they shouldn't pay for the ring road because they don't use it. It's also been brought up in the suburb and parasite town thread. It was also discussed when city art and the giant ring was brought up and why should we pay for it.