Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #41
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good plan before even jumping online is finding a basic build order. If you keep getting beat by the same thing, like Void Rays. Just look for a build that will counter it.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #42
FlamingStuffedTiger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm working though the single player at the moment and I'm about to jump into multi-player in a bit. But I'm wondering, how many opponents are you guys facing that try to use cheesy strategies? Stuff like proxy reapers and cannon rushes annoy the heck out of me...

~ Calvin & Hobbes ~
FlamingStuffedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #43
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingStuffedTiger View Post
I'm working though the single player at the moment and I'm about to jump into multi-player in a bit. But I'm wondering, how many opponents are you guys facing that try to use cheesy strategies? Stuff like proxy reapers and cannon rushes annoy the heck out of me...
Not that many. Never seen proxy reapers.... maybe 10% of the time someone will try and cannon rush you but if you keep your eyes open you can counter it before it starts.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #44
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
All that's cool. I like video games well enough, but really, I don't want the huge input costs; technical, financial and time that goes into play games on a computer. Waste of time and money.

I'd prefer the one time input and upfront cost and then go on from there.
Overblown in my opinion. If you are even a tiny bit computer savvy, and I mean able to operate a computer better than your average 50 year old mom (sorry mom ) the input cost of time is equivalent or less than a console. I download all my games, set them to install and come back later and play them. Never have to go to a store and buy games etc. You mostly need a good to decent graphics card to play a game which will be most of your financial cost...you can usually get a good one for less than a console and then you are set.

Everyone has this impression that gaming on a computer is more expensive/harder, and I have no idea why. Very simple and actually cheaper than you think. (provided you have a computer to begin with anyway)

Anyway, everyone has their own preference, no problems with that at all.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #45
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Had to post this cause it's pretty funny.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...tarcraft_2_to/

Second comment is even better than the original though.

Quote:
My girl friend said something similar. She saw me playing and she said "So, its like farmville but easier? You only have to harvest two types of crops."
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #46
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ /facepalm

FlamingStuffedTiger - you'll see some but most of it is easy to overcome and sets your opponent back as much (if not further) as it sets you back. Things to watch out for...

Reapers/Helions/Banshees (with Bunkers)
Planetary Fortress Rush (srsly)
Early Zealot Push
Proxy Cannon Rush
Dark Templar
Zergling Runby or 6-pool
Mutalisk Harrass
Void Rays

Obviously you won't see all those happen in the same game, so you can deal with them and move on. Watch your opponent and if you think it looks like he's going to cheese or harass then build your defenses accordingly. Remain calm when they actually attack and pull your SCV's back until the threat is over. Once it's dealt with, get them back on mining as fast as possible and go back to your previous plan. If you responded well, you're probably ahead. Poorly, he's ahead. Reasonably well - even.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #47
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As I put initially in this thread, I am not a huge fanboy of this game. That said, I have found this game to be quite fun in a few situations. It is neat to get back in touch and play games with old friends that you used to play the first edition with way back in the day.

The game itself isn't super fascinating, but I do like the 3v3 or 4v4 matches because this allows me to be the jackass all game and just harass the crap out of people. I am not very good at this game, but I do delight in sending 3-5 mutas at their supply line and flee at first sign of resistance only to come back 30 seconds later for the entire game. Zergling rushes in the beginning are pretty fun too, as are infestors harassing every single expansion they have and even their tech in the main base late game when defences have dwindled a bit.

Big army fights, meh...not all that fun. Being the biggest jerk you can? An internet tradition, and that is quite fun in this game.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #48
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Everyone has this impression that gaming on a computer is more expensive/harder, and I have no idea why. Very simple and actually cheaper than you think. (provided you have a computer to begin with anyway)
Probably that period from 1998-2005 where mainstream consumer 3D technology was taking it's first baby steps you had to upgrade your computer hardware every 6 months or a year to stay current or play the latest games. 3D tech is also plateauing and converging. We would probably still be on that track if not for consoles becoming the focus of traditional PC developers and the focus of the gaming industry as a whole.

Because of all the development done for consoles with 5 year old technology, computer gamers mostly deal with console ports or equivalent cross-platform tech because it makes the most economic sense for devs. Companies that try to stray outside those boundaries and still give PC gamers the cutting edge get lambasted at first for making games people can't run (Crysis two years ago)...hence why Crysis 2 is designed for consoles in mind and actually has a weaker engine.

A good gaming PC you buy today will probably be good for as long as the Xbox 360 & PS3 is viable, yet render those games much, much better (if you so choose, again, the choice and freedom factor).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-13-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #49
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check out the first 5 mins of this replay or so. Hilarious!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #50
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They need to find a way to save your Starcraft 2 replays and turn them into comic books. That replay would make for some awesome reading...
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PowerPlayoffs06 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #51
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Check out the first 5 mins of this replay or so. Hilarious!

Double Cheeseburger All the Way, Across the Sky
Wow, so intense!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #52
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's funny. The caster really annoyed me though - it was actually a pretty reasonable response to just lift off and fly away. There was no way his marines were going to hold.

And the fast expand was very smart. He commented that NTT should have been going 2x Gas...I think he should have went no gas, fast expand add on 3rax and then gas.

Love the comment at the 4:34 mark. Won't spoil it but it warrants a good belly laugh
Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #53
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah the replay overall is actually pretty entertaining. I used the fast-tracked banshee play the other night just for kicks, and it worked like a charm heh.

It was sorta noob of Arew to have all his gateways powered by a single pylon though.

Also I've never seen the tech lab swap done before this. Then again, I am super noob

Edit: Tried the tech lab swap tonight. Pretty sweet. It's like instant tanks!

Last edited by Teh_Bandwagoner; 08-13-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Teh_Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #54
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Platinum My record is something like 60 games, 48 wins. I have no placement matches left at all, so I need new partners so that I can continue to newbstomp

1/1/1 is nice for the early banshee harass but it leaves you pretty exposed. My own experience is that opening 2/1/1 is safer and more versatile if you don't play professionally.
I use the swap as well. In 1v1 I play pretty infantry heavy so I build a reactor on my factory and put that on my starport for instant dual production medivacs. If you watch any of Day9's stuff, he talks a lot about how long a reactor takes to produce. The lift-and-switch is a good way to mitigate that.

Last edited by Flames0910; 08-15-2010 at 03:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #55
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
If you watch any of Day9's stuff, he talks a lot about how long a reactor takes to produce. The lift-and-switch is a good way to mitigate that.

Been doing that since the beta. While it is still effective, my old "medivac around the back" no longer works as supply lines are always covered in platinum/diamond.

I miss gold .

Platinum and diamond have actually forced me to entirely change strategies, and it's taking time to overcome.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 08-15-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think my computer rejected my ATI 5700 3D video card. My tech guy thinks the computer wants to work with an NVIDEA card, so we are switching it out. This is like a human body rejecting an organ transplant. Does this make sense that some computers work better with certain video cards?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #57
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think my computer rejected my ATI 5700 3D video card. My tech guy thinks the computer wants to work with an NVIDEA card, so we are switching it out. This is like a human body rejecting an organ transplant. Does this make sense that some computers work better with certain video cards?
I'm surprised by that. It should accept the card regardless of manufacturer. Might be a driver issue.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #58
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
No, this makes no sense at all. It sounds like your tech guy doesn't know what he is doing, talking about, or he is pulling one over you.

The only way this makes any sense is two things:

1. If you are trying to install two cards in a multi-GPU configuration as some multi-videocard motherboards will only accept Crossfire (ATI) or SLI (NVidia).

2. For a single card, anything at all should work in there unless your motherboard is really bad and the slot is PCI-E 1.0. which it shouldn't be unless it's a very old system in which case any modern videocard from Nvidia or ATI can encounter problems.

If your tech guy is worth his salt, he should be able to identify your motherboard. Ask him what it is and if the PCI-E slot is a 1.0 design (and not 1.1 and up) and post it back to us (motherboard model information).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-20-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #59
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
No, this makes no sense at all. It sounds like your tech guy doesn't know what he is doing or talking about or he is pulling one over you.

The only way this makes any sense is two things:

1. If you are trying to install two cards as some multi-videocard motherboards will only accept Crossfire (ATI) or SLI (nVidia).

2. For a single card, anything at all should work in there unless your motherboard is really bad and the slot is PCI-E 1.0. which it shouldn't be unless it's a very old system in which case any modern videocard from Nvidia or ATI can encounter problems.
No reason for him to be "pulling one over on me". I would say that he really knows his stuff. It could be I am mis-stating his thoughts. This is costing him time and $ to fix the problem. THe ATI card worked once on installation, but was not found on any further re-boots. One theory was that my computer came with an NVIDEA card, and was constructed to prefer NVIDEA cards. He also thinks it may simply be that the ATI card is faulty.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #60
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He also thinks it may simply be that the ATI card is faulty.
If it worked once this sounds more likely. Or an underpowered power supply?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote