Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Can't seem to shake my PC's malware

I can't seem to get this crap off of my laptop. There are a couple that continuously re-emerge. The most annoying one changes random words in webpages into links to premiumvideoupdates.com with a message to update my flash player.

Have tried a few anti spyware apps, and nothing seems to do the trick. Malware bytes actually destroyed my computer to the point that I had to do a system restore and try again.

Help?
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nuke and pave
Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/premium...tes-com-virus/
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Nuke and pave
Pretty much this. If that guide doesn't do it for you, then back up any important documents, pictures, music, videos, etc., and flatten the thing, reinstall, and stop going on skeezy pr0n sites.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A few years ago I zapped some especially resilient mallware with this scanner from microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/security/sc...s/default.aspx

(they may have changed it since then... but it's free and worth a try)
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hah - the premium video thing had just sneakily installed an annoying extension. Should have seen it. Got rid of it an we're back to normal, more or less.

Malware programs seem unable to get rid of unwanted cookies though, which is sort of annoying.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

SUPERAntiSpyware is pretty good with cookies
Old 04-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's what I'm using.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If that guide helps you remove it...couple more tips.

- Don't use IE
- Use Chrome/Firefox
- Install the Adblock Plus browser plugin, could help prevent clicking on Malware ads if other people are using the PC.
- If you don't have a good Anti-Virus/Malware tool, Microsoft Security Essentials is a decent free tool to use.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, a sandbox would help keep your system from getting infected.

http://sandboxie.com/
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

My laptop was infected bad. malware bytes anti-malware and avast anti-virus cleaned it up after a dozen other programs did nothing.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find you need to use several different programs to really clean your pc, and I usually run a few in safe mode
Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
- If you don't have a good Anti-Virus/Malware tool, Microsoft Security Essentials is a decent free tool to use.
I thought MSFT was generally considered the worst AV out there? Their test scores have been awful for a while?

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/good...rty-antivirus/

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/janfeb-2014/

If you have Shaw, they give you McAfee for free, Or I pony up the $20 (FS has it on sale a few times a year) every year for a 3 seat license of Kaspersky. I also bought Malwarebytes. Between those two I have never had an issue.

Edit: NM

Last edited by OldDutch; 04-22-2014 at 07:58 AM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A buddy at work has his home machine infected with something bad - it won't let you download any file from the internet without flagging it as a virus and deleting it, (regardless of which browser you use), and it won't even allow you to run an executable from a USB drive.

Unless there is some other way to get an anti-malware program to run that you guys can recommend, I told him the best thing to do is get everything of value off it and have it wiped.

Suggestions?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
A buddy at work has his home machine infected with something bad - it won't let you download any file from the internet without flagging it as a virus and deleting it, (regardless of which browser you use), and it won't even allow you to run an executable from a USB drive.

Unless there is some other way to get an anti-malware program to run that you guys can recommend, I told him the best thing to do is get everything of value off it and have it wiped.

Suggestions?
A couple: First, look at using a boot CD: The one time I went this route, I had good results using Kaspersky's rescue disk. There are probably others out there, but Kaspersky's worked for me.

Second, in some extreme cases, I take the hard drive out and plug it into a clean machine using a SATA-USB adapter. Then I can copy files to it, or even run a scan (though the scan will not be perfect as the drive is just an external drive - no registry scans, etc).

Good luck!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #16
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I thought MSFT was generally considered the worst AV out there? Their test scores have been awful for a while?

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/good...rty-antivirus/

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/janfeb-2014/

If you have Shaw, they give you McAfee for free, Or I pony up the $20 (FS has it on sale a few times a year) every year for a 3 seat license of Kaspersky. I also bought Malwarebytes. Between those two I have never had an issue.

Edit: NM
Good to know! I'm a little out of the loop with the AV tools, initial responses to Security Essentials were pretty good from what I remember. So I always used that as free option, if people didn't want to pay for an AV tool. I've been using ESET NOD32 for years, and have always loved it, so I never had the need to look elsewhere.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #17
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

After trying a number of anti-virus', I've settled on Bit Defender Free Edition. It's unobtrusive and hasn't affected Firefox or Internet Explorer in any way as others have. It's also well ranked. I'm not sure how good it is as I haven't had any malware yet. I also use Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/t...t_no%5D=133194
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I will have to stop my kids from downloading free games.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #19
tanguay'sstillgood
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Just had to say thanks for this link. I had a different issue pop up today (Extracoupon) which was incredibly annoying, and the malwaretips website had it fixed in a couple hours. Thanks, Flames_Gimp.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!
tanguay'sstillgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #20
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm shocked Malwarebytes "destroyed" your computer. Malwarebytes works well and is consistently graded as a top 5 program. Haven't had any conflict issues with it on the now two laptops I've used it on. Perhaps it wasn't malwarebytes that destroyed your computer but rather the malware itself?

But in general stay away from malware infected sites in the first place. So yes, you will have to find a safe site to look at nekkid ladies, limit torrent sites and what not.

The other good one I've use is spybot. The spybot/malwarebytes combo doesn't seem to leave anything behind.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote