Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Money,

They know that its better for them financially to get phones sent back to them, charge diagnostic fees and then replace the battery rather than allow the customer to do it themselves.

Every other phone in the world does this... why cant the iphone?
I think the bigger issue with the non-removable batter is that it sets a limit on the life of the device. Batteries begin to lose their capacity to hold a charge after a while. When a 2-3 year old device fails are people really going to spend the money fixing a 2-3 year old device and go through the hassle of sending it into a repair shop? No, people are going to put the money towards a new device.

I also like to exchange my batteries once for free. Usually after about a year, I start to notice the life sucks. Batteries are covered under manufactureres warranties though. So I just take the battery back to the shop I bought it and get a new one for free.

Means that for the life of the phone (usually around 2.5 years) I will have a fully functioning battery. Can't do it with an Iphone.

Last edited by blankall; 04-19-2011 at 05:51 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #42
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the people complaining in here about iPhones not having removable batteries probably have a piece of duct tape holding their Blackberry battery cover on.

Apple will never introduce a phone with a removable battery. Batteries have gotten the the point where they last long enough to not need it. If you really can't last all day without charging your phone, either charge at some point or stop using your fracking phone so much.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #43
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
All the people complaining in here about iPhones not having removable batteries probably have a piece of duct tape holding their Blackberry battery cover on..
I've never seen that.
Quote:
either charge at some point or stop using your fracking phone so much.
Is this the "holding your phone wrong" defense?

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 04-19-2011 at 06:22 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #44
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I can think of two things I would want; and can sum them up with one word: Flash.

Both for the camera and web browser.
probably have to jailbreak if you want flash.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #45
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flash is dead. HTML 5 is the future. Deal with it and move on.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Sorry I'm nitpicking, because you're mostly right, but that being said...

A Li-Ion battery has approximately 200 "life-cycles", essentially means you can plug it in to charge about 200 times before the capacity (run-time) begins to drop off. There is no memory effect with lithium, so you can charge whenever you like, but as soon as it's been plugged in about 200 times your run-time will drop-off very quickly.

Usually.
Yeah, there is no memory effect with Lithium Ion (as in you don't need to drain it fully before charging) and over a year's time, the total charge it will hold will degrade when going through all those charging cycles like you say. 200 plug-ins is not very much. Maybe half a year. It's also best to store lithium ion batteries at around 50-60% in a cold environment. Leaving them at full charge will also slowly degrade the total charge that they will hold. Heat also damages their efficiency. I realize that is not an option for an iPhone but that is what I do with my spare batteries for my laptop and digital cameras and other phones. If my laptop is going to sit plugged in on my desk for a few days, the battery gets drained to 50% and removed and stored.

I wonder if the new iPhones will move to Lithium Polymer though, like the new iPad 2's use. Somehow I think they might not due to safety concerns with phones in your pocket, etc.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-19-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
One cannot patent a battery, iirc. So the aftermarket producers could easily engineer a battery that would be much less expensive than Apple's OEM replacement.
Actually, all battery technologies are patented and royalties are supposed to be paid. There is a patent fight between the researchers who developed Li-ion. That said, most of the Li-ion batteries coming out of factories in China probably aren't paying royalties on them.

But I'm sure you mean the proprietary battery design that goes into a certain device. The battery technology might not be patentable but they could patent the charging circuit or some other technology that makes it a smart battery for the particular device.

You never know with Apple. Afterall, yesterday they decided to sue Samsung for introducing a rectangular phone with a touchscreen and icons as infringing on their rights.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-19-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #48
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Is this the "holding your phone wrong" defense?
I believe it's the "buy something for $600 and don't use it as much" defense. When you introduce a portable product that has so many features and is essential to many people for organizing their lives, communicating with others, doing work, and providing entertainment, etc. why not allow them to use it as much as they want to?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-19-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #49
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You guys are blowing this way out of proportion.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #50
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course they are. Apple could release a phone that prints $20 bills and the same people would be in here complaining they aren't $50's.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #51
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Of course they are. Apple could release a phone that prints $20 bills and the same people would be in here complaining they aren't $50's.
And Apple could release a phone that eats $50 bills and the same people would be in here saying that it is perfectly fine and the way it has to be.

Why some Apple users are in such a rush to vehemently defend them or become indignant is beyond me. Nobody is outright attacking your decision to like that product, just pointing out a shortcoming that may or may not be important to you. Every consumer good has shortcomings that deserve to be criticized and addressed and even ridiculed if necessary.

Do people give you a hard time or get defensive when you are slamming Blackberries? Of course not. People accept they are not perfect and probably flawed in many ways. There is no need to so likewise.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-19-2011 at 10:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #52
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The battery thing isn't a big deal. Its just something that is consumer unfriendly. I have yet to see anyone in here explain how its good for the consumer not to have that ability. Its good for Apple, on several levels, but not Joe iPhone-User.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #53
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand arguing the merits of Flash support. But a removable battery? Really?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #54
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

So anyways...

I would imagine that the iPhone 5 will most likely be a 3g to 3gs type upgrade including the dual core 1 GHz A5 and maybe a better camera. Also, a new cellular chipset that contains GSM, HSPA+, CDMA and 4g lte so that they only need to make one phone.

I would imagine they would use the antenna style of the CDMA phone as well. The phone will remain largely the same but the wow will come with iOS 5.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #55
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 3gs at the moment, so I'm not sure if these issues have been addressed, but I have 2 simple requests from my next phone.

1) Can I please be able to delete songs straight from the phone? Plugging it in is a pain.

2) Please add a "Mark All as Ready" feature in the Email. I hate having to check each email one by one to mark it off, so inevitably I always have about 40-50 unread emails because I don't bother.

I just found a giant crack on the back of my phone, so I'm hoping it can last atleast till the 5....hopefully the 6.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #56
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry I'm nitpicking, because you're mostly right, but that being said...

A Li-Ion battery has approximately 200 "life-cycles", essentially means you can plug it in to charge about 200 times before the capacity (run-time) begins to drop off. There is no memory effect with lithium, so you can charge whenever you like, but as soon as it's been plugged in about 200 times your run-time will drop-off very quickly.

Usually.
Charge cycles are not induced immediately after charging, they are induced after around 50% drain.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #57
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I understand arguing the merits of Flash support. But a removable battery? Really?
Why not? It's a quality of life/useability suggestion that was offered after someone asked "what else should apple add that people wanted?". I don't see how any of it has been blown out of proportion. Many, many phones have removable batteries, and it's not unfair to wonder why it can't be done here too.

The iPhone is in a good place right now, but there's nothing wrong with wanting some changes to make it better.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #58
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Charge cycles are not induced immediately after charging, they are induced after around 50% drain.
Good call.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #59
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
So it would be best to charge before it drops below 50%?
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #60
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
So it would be best to charge before it drops below 50%?
Yes. Same goes for an other lithium ion batteries. You should never let a laptop battery charge drop too far. I charge around 60% if I can help it.