Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #261
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Mulaney at the Dome this weekend - My friends caught his show earlier this year at Red Rocks and said it was really good, and a bit more mature than his pre-rehab stuff, so wasn't going to miss it.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:26 PM   #262
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Without spoiling anything. How was Mulaney?

My wife and I have tickets for his Halifax show.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #263
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I thought he was hilarious. I laughed a lot throughout. The off script stuff was downright hilarious. Maybe the best part. It’s that kind of stuff that makes you realize how naturally funny comedians like him are. It’s not just the scripted bits but the off the cuff stuff when they shine. Seems like he had the perfect quip or response to every audience interaction, of which there were several.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #264
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I thought he was hilarious. I laughed a lot throughout. The off script stuff was downright hilarious. Maybe the best part. It’s that kind of stuff that makes you realize how naturally funny comedians like him are. It’s not just the scripted bits but the off the cuff stuff when they shine. Seems like he had the perfect quip or response to every audience interaction, of which there were several.
Tickers are on the fridge. I can't wait

Old 10-16-2022, 07:08 PM   #265
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah Cecil nailed this. Mulaney is just so effortlessly funny.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #266
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Yeah, effortless is a good way to describe this show. Of course his rehab story is well polished, but he can digress like few others which is very additive to the performance. Probably the hardest I've laughed since Craig Ferguson at the Jube in 2013 (best show ever).
Old 10-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #267
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Agreed

I went with my 16 yr old son, he is a huge fan.

The show delivered, well paced and funny AF

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:32 AM   #268
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't believe I missed out on Mark Normand tickets, the Laugh Shop website says sold out for all shows.

If anyone here is holding and has a change of plans, would love to scoop up 2 or even just 1 ticket.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:59 AM   #269
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where else to post this. Two new specials out this week that may have flown under the radar for some people.

Marc Maron - From Bleak to Dark came out on HBO/Crave. I liked it a lot, but I would put it somewhere in the middle of the pack of his body of work.

Jim Jefferies - High n' Dry is out today on Netflix. Next to Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle, Jefferies is one of my faves still working. Haven't given it a go yet, but will sometime today when I have time.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2023, 10:04 AM   #270
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I really enjoyed Maron's special. Very dark.

Nate Bargatze has a new special on Prime.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #271
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Not sure where else to post this. Two new specials out this week that may have flown under the radar for some people.

Marc Maron - From Bleak to Dark came out on HBO/Crave. I liked it a lot, but I would put it somewhere in the middle of the pack of his body of work.

Jim Jefferies - High n' Dry is out today on Netflix. Next to Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle, Jefferies is one of my faves still working. Haven't given it a go yet, but will sometime today when I have time.
I haven't watched Jefferies special yet, but I'm excited to. Perhaps this weekend. Need to find the time.

Might download it to my phone and listen to it when I'm driving. Which is something that I've worked into my longer drive routine.

I love his podcast I Don't Know About That. Which is also a weekly staple in my drives to and from work.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:17 PM   #272
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone interested and still subscribed to Netflix, Chris Rock has a live special airing on the platform tonight.

Pre-show starts at 7:30 pm MST with Rock starting his set at 8:00 pm MST. There's supposed to be an aftershow as well.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 03-04-2023, 11:23 PM   #273
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I watched all three tonight with a couple of old fashioneds (it was a rough freaking day for me - so I needed it)

When I was a kid in the 90s I loved watching Chris Rock, and while I could never relate to a lot of his comedy, I always loved his pacing and his emphasis. Tonight was no different, he really built to the crescendo. Those last 10 minutes were devastating. When they cut to the post-show, you could see everyone was still digesting what they just saw.

I mentioned to my friend who was over that Chris pulled a Gordie Howe - waited a year to get his pound of flesh. It was glorious.

Hopefully there's a few more live events like this.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:23 PM   #274
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Jim Jefferies put on a 2.5 hour set 6 months ago yet his newest Netflix special that uses this material is only 70 minutes long and IMO didn't even include his best bit.

Is this typical for comedy sets to be cut down for TV? Is this a decision by the producer to get closer to an hour or the comedian to leave something for the ticket payers?
Old 03-05-2023, 07:06 PM   #275
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

People complain about a 2.5-3 hour Marvel movie. They're going to complain about a comedy special that long.

Was the 2.5 hour show the one that was filmed for Netflix? They typically film the early and late show for the special so they're wearing the same clothes and the splice together the best parts of each.

Jefferies probably made the cuts to his act himself before the filming. He has that kind of clout.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:20 PM   #276
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Saw Jim Jefferies put on a 2.5 hour set 6 months ago yet his newest Netflix special that uses this material is only 70 minutes long and IMO didn't even include his best bit.

Is this typical for comedy sets to be cut down for TV? Is this a decision by the producer to get closer to an hour or the comedian to leave something for the ticket payers?
Lucky c###. The longest Jim has gone when I've seen him is about 105 minutes. He was drunk off his ass, riffing on about everything. He got very real about the Eddie Ifft situation, which I had to Google after I got home.

He told his unrecorded Helen Keller joke and I almost fell out of my seat.

And yes, everything is edited and cut down for a special. As far as I can tell it's entirely for the special. Record all bits, cut it down, stream it on Netflix. I can't imagine Chris Rock is content with ####ing up his Will Smith "Concussion" joke live on Netflix. There's a reason it's all reviewed and edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
People complain about a 2.5-3 hour Marvel movie. They're going to complain about a comedy special that long.

Was the 2.5 hour show the one that was filmed for Netflix? They typically film the early and late show for the special so they're wearing the same clothes and the splice together the best parts of each.

Jefferies probably made the cuts to his act himself before the filming. He has that kind of clout.
All comedians have creative control over the special that's released. Not sure you need any kind of clout to have things cut. I would imagine it's a collaborative process to whittle down the best of the best.

I was at the last Norm MacDonald performance at the Laugh Shop and he went over 2 hours. I was disappointed he didn't go 3.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 02:01 PM   #277
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Lucky c###. The longest Jim has gone when I've seen him is about 105 minutes. He was drunk off his ass, riffing on about everything. He got very real about the Eddie Ifft situation, which I had to Google after I got home.

He told his unrecorded Helen Keller joke and I almost fell out of my seat.

And yes, everything is edited and cut down for a special. As far as I can tell it's entirely for the special. Record all bits, cut it down, stream it on Netflix. I can't imagine Chris Rock is content with ####ing up his Will Smith "Concussion" joke live on Netflix. There's a reason it's all reviewed and edited.

All comedians have creative control over the special that's released. Not sure you need any kind of clout to have things cut. I would imagine it's a collaborative process to whittle down the best of the best.

I was at the last Norm MacDonald performance at the Laugh Shop and he went over 2 hours. I was disappointed he didn't go 3.
I was also at the last Norm show. I was blown away. Best Sunday night ever. I love how he just kept pulling stuff out, "this was my Dad's favorite joke". I remember when they did last call and I was disappointed it was almost over. He went another 75 minutes after that.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:06 PM   #278
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

Totally normal, I'm willing to bet you see some of that material in his next special instead. Probably thinks he can still work on those jokes and add more too them
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #279
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Late to the party, but Don Rickles did some sit-downs with comedians (along with other entertainers) late in life and they are hilarious:

Channel (AARP)

I binged all of these and are well worth the watch.

Here's one with Snoop, LOL:

sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 10:58 AM   #280
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Funny bit about the silliness of neutral pronouns

https://twitter.com/user/status/1632768720970842113
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post: