Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #1981
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary has the advantage of being able to blow off the first year of the ELC, like they did for Gaudreau, correct?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #1982
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
Calgary has the advantage of being able to blow off the first year of the ELC, like they did for Gaudreau, correct?!
As long as Providence' season ends quickly enough and they don't go on a repeat run with the new goalie, we'll be able to get him into an NHL game. I'm all in on the BU Terriers next season. And Colgate/Tim Harrison, feel free to beat the Friars.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-10-2015 at 04:33 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #1983
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's had so much interaction with the organization that I can't see him bailing. Seems like a good kid and I'm sure you would feel a sense of loyalty to a team that has drafted you and devoted time and effort into your career. Not to mention theyve had him up for playoff games, stampede stuff, numerous camps and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff. Calgary is really building a great team as well so why wouldn't he want to be a part of that? I'm sure he has built relationships with players as well. I'd be really surprised if he didn't sign. Seems like the perfect comfortable place for him to start his career.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #1984
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Calgary is really building a great team as well so why wouldn't he want to be a part of that?
What if your "Advisor" asks you if you'd rather spend 2015-16 in Stockton making 80 grand a year hoping Matt Stajan gets hurt, or in, I dunno, Arizona as the top dog making just under a million.

Loyalty has its place, but so does hundreds of thousands of dollars. He might also be a little annoyed we didn't sign him this year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 07-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #1985
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What if your "Advisor" asks you if you'd rather spend 2015-16 in Stockton making 80 grand a year hoping Matt Stajan gets hurt, or in, I dunno, Arizona as the top dog making just under a million.

Loyalty has its place, but so does hundreds of thousands of dollars. He might also be a little annoyed we didn't sign him this year.
Based on his interviews he seems excited to go back to Providence and be a leader and go to player.

Money is always a factor but as a young player trying to break into the league I think Calgary has a lot more to offer than just some money.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #1986
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Tell him to talk to Tim Erixon and ask him how well that worked out for him. Then have him ask Ferland how working through adversity and sticking it out with a team that cares for your developement worked for him.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #1987
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Tell him to talk to Tim Erixon and ask him how well that worked out for him. Then have him ask Ferland how working through adversity and sticking it out with a team that cares for your developement worked for him.
His advisor is likely telling him to look at Kevin Hayes, not Tim Erixon. Though both went to the Rangers ;P

Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #1988
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kevin Hayes was ready to step into the NHL though. Who knows where Jankowski will be at after next season. If he has to play a season in the AHL you figure he would prefer just sticking with the Flames instead of going to a whole different organization to just do the same thing. If a team is going to guarantee him a spot then that might change things but this kind of seems unlikely unless he has a huge year at Providence. I'm still not overly concerned.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #1989
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thoroughly look forward to a year of Gaudreauwatch 2.0 - The Jankowski Edition.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #1990
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate the fact the he is going back for year four!! Geez!! Sign him Tre !!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #1991
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
I thoroughly look forward to a year of Gaudreauwatch 2.0 - The Jankowski Edition.
Boyd watch 3.0
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #1992
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't agree. Jankowski seems to be a smart kid and he knows he is not quite ready for the NHL and looking forward in honing his skills and leadership one more season in Providence. He says he wants to be the go-to guy in Providence next season. I think he really likes Calgary and I am sure he will sign with the Flames once Providence Friars season is over.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #1993
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
Yes, this is the major advantage the Flames have in signing Jankowski this spring. Flames have shown they are willing to burn a year off ELCs for college players signing with them. They burned a year of Gillies' contract and he didn't even dress for a game.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #1994
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe this is how it goes:

- Assume Jankowski signs in March 2016
- Jankowski will be 22 as of Sept 15, 2016 (the Calender Year he will be signing)
- This will therefore be a 2-year ELC
- Year 1 will probably burn 2015-16 .
- Jankowski will be an RFA in 2017, same time as Culkin, Kulak, Gillies, Morrisson, Sieloff, and Bennett

So just like Bill Arnold we'll only have him for a year under ELC

Compare that to if we signed him right now:
- Jankowski will be 21 as of Sept 15, 2015
- Therefore a 3-year ELC
- He will obviously play pro during 2015-16
- Jankowski would be an RFA in 2018, same time as Poirier, Klimchuk, and Kanzig.

If I'm understanding this right, would the AHL not be better asset management? Not that I'm criticising Tre as long as we get Janko locked up, but this along with Bennett/Gillies is pretty telling of how much or how little Calgary values ELCs compared to some other teams even though we've got some cap crunch coming.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-10-2015 at 04:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #1995
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Absolutely, and isn't that risk just hitting home how dumb a move this was by Feaster to draft this guy, something I certainly didn't appreciate at the time.
By your argument, it is always a dumb move for any GM, anywhere, to draft any NCAA player, at any time, under any circumstances, ever.

So I guess every GM in the NHL is dumb. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #1996
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
By your argument, it is always a dumb move for any GM, anywhere, to draft any NCAA player, at any time, under any circumstances, ever.

So I guess every GM in the NHL is dumb. Thanks for letting us know.
That was exactly my thoughts. We were so dumb for drafting Gaudreau.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #1997
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two wrongs don't make a right, haha
Old 07-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #1998
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
That was exactly my thoughts. We were so dumb for drafting Gaudreau.
Uh huh. Eleventy jillion posts by people freaking out about how Gaudreau wasn't going to sign, no way, nuh uh. Now that certain people are facing the fact that Jankowski can actually play a bit of hockey, they can indulge their negativity by freaking out about this.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #1999
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right, haha
Which two wrongs do you mean?
Old 07-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #2000
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
I believe this is how it goes:

- Assume Jankowski signs in March 2016
- Jankowski will be 22 as of Sept 15, 2016 (the Calender Year he will be signing)
- This will therefore be a 2-year ELC
- Year 1 will probably burn 2015-16 .
- Jankowski will be an RFA in 2017, same time as Culkin, Kulak, Gillies, Morrisson, Sieloff, and Bennett

So just like Bill Arnold we'll only have him for a year under ELC

Compare that to if we signed him right now:
- Jankowski will be 21 as of Sept 15, 2015
- Therefore a 3-year ELC
- He will obviously play pro during 2015-16
- Jankowski would be an RFA in 2018, same time as Poirier, Klimchuk, and Kanzig.

If I'm understanding this right, would the AHL not be better asset management? Not that I'm criticising Tre as long as we get Janko locked up, but this along with Bennett/Gillies is pretty telling of how much or how little Calgary values ELCs compared to some other teams even though we've got some cap crunch coming.
Except the Flames aren't about asset management. They are all about prospect development.

Shouldn't really matter in either scenario. Jankowski won't have much leverage in terms of getting a raise, especially in the 1st scenario as he won't have arbitration rights (unless he plays 10 games after signing, which is unlikely givien Flames forward depth) and he won't be able to sign an offer sheet.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: