Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #41
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Additional point of interest: IIHF still has no official explanation why the goal was disallowed. Seems like they don't think the decision will hold up to public scrutiny.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #42
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
The contact was way out of the crease.

The crease doesn't stretch with the goalie.
It was a goalie making a save, pads in the crease, goes to cover it and is bowled over by a player who was untouched... that’s a dead play at the very least. And doesn’t fit the intent of the rule you posted.

I’m sorry they lost, but this isn’t as obvious as you are claiming. As well, why would the IIHF not want a new team to win? It doesn’t make any sense.

There is no conspiracy here.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #43
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1117529740024406023
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #44
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Reviews after goals really just sucks the life out of the game. Not just the review itself, but the threat of it.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #45
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just watched it. Obvious goal to me as well. Goalie leaps out to cover a rebound, the attacking player lunging to get to it first. Contact made on a 50/50 puck. Rebound is put in.

Whats baffling is they call a penalty on the US goalie for tripping yet disallow the goal for interference?? That makes 0 sense to me. Atrocious.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Just watched it. Obvious goal to me as well. Goalie leaps out to cover a rebound, the attacking player lunging to get to it first. Contact made on a 50/50 puck. Rebound is put in.

Whats baffling is they call a penalty on the US goalie for tripping yet disallow the goal for interference?? That makes 0 sense to me. Atrocious.
Yeah the penalty adds a really confusing angle to it. The most amazing part of it is that they couldn’t release a reason within minutes. Doesn’t help the situation.

I mean, if they want to allow goals like that that’s one thing. I voiced my opinion on that play, being biased against the states winning. But they really need to explain what the hell happened.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #47
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It was a goalie making a save, pads in the crease, goes to cover it and is bowled over by a player who was untouched... that’s a dead play at the very least. And doesn’t fit the intent of the rule you posted.

I’m sorry they lost, but this isn’t as obvious as you are claiming. As well, why would the IIHF not want a new team to win? It doesn’t make any sense.

There is no conspiracy here.
No conspiracy, just a ####up. Which they know is a ####up, and don't want to talk about it.
It's the exact situation in the rule I quoted. You are specifically and explicitly allowed to make contact with a goalie also trying to reach the puck in that situation.

Most likely the ref didn't know that's an IIHF rule. It's somewhat different from the NHL rule afaik.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #48
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

That should be a goal 100% of the time. Finnish player was Not in crease, was not skating toward crease, goalie dived in front of her, nothing the Finnish player could do.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #49
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what the ultimate verdict will come about as a result of the protest.

It’s awesome to see Finland able to compete for championships now. Especially since the whole Canada vs USA has been a boring story for women’s hockey for far too long. I actually hope finland continues to get better and win next years womens world championship. It would also be a great story if they are able to win gold in the next olympics. I’d love to see that.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nothing will come of the protest. It's symbolic, and the Finnish federation knew that when they made it.

But, this is the kind of disaster that was inevitable when something as crazily subjective as incidental contact on the goalie is made reviewable. The IIHF is always going to have to eat the accusation that an off-ice official - and not the players - dictated the outcome of a major championship.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #51
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post

One of the worst things I have ever seen.
Not sure how you #### it up like they did.
Really unfortunate.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #52
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finland IMHO has been the strongest of the 'other' countries for a few years now and it's good for the game to see them (hopefully) be competitive. Other countries have also been making progress so the women's game is getting better, the issue is Canada and the US continue to get better as well so the gap does not close as quickly. We are seeing players from Europe in the NCAA now (goaltenders in particular I think) and also some playing in the women's leagues here in North America. Teams come here to train and learn from Canada/US as well. It's been a long process but looks like it is beginning to show results.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #53
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Statement from IIHF

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/...ment-from-iihf
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #54
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still don't get that last call in OT. They blew the play dead because there was an upcoming US penalty...? But the US didn't get possession of the puck....? And what was the delayed call even for?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #55
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Basically it comes down to:
1. Ref sees the play as a trip by the US goalie and then a Finland goal
2. Video review sees the play as non-incidental contact by the Finnish player on the US goalie which should have resulted in a penalty for goaltender interference and no goal.
3. Video review can't overturn the penalty call the ref made and can't call a penalty on the goaltender interference, but it can overturn the goal.

I'm not convinced that the Finnish player could have done anything to avoid the contact so I'd call it incidental contact and thus a goal.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #56
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Basically it comes down to:
1. Ref sees the play as a trip by the US goalie and then a Finland goal
2. Video review sees the play as non-incidental contact by the Finnish player on the US goalie which should have resulted in a penalty for goaltender interference and no goal.
3. Video review can't overturn the penalty call the ref made and can't call a penalty on the goaltender interference, but it can overturn the goal.

I'm not convinced that the Finnish player could have done anything to avoid the contact so I'd call it incidental contact and thus a goal.
I think it came down to whether the contact was incidental or not.

I'm not sure that whether a player could or could not avoid contact makes it incidental or not.

I think "incidental" in this contact means "minor", so I'm assuming the video replay judge thought that the contact was more than "minor".
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #57
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think it came down to whether the contact was incidental or not.

I'm not sure that whether a player could or could not avoid contact makes it incidental or not.

I think "incidental" in this contact means "minor", so I'm assuming the video replay judge thought that the contact was more than "minor".
This is precisely what “incidental” means in this context.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #58
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a complete and utter travesty, that's a good goal 10/10 times, pathetic result and even worse was the lengthy and inept process to arrive to it
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #59
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I still don't get that last call in OT. They blew the play dead because there was an upcoming US penalty...? But the US didn't get possession of the puck....? And what was the delayed call even for?
I interpreted this as an admission that the tripping call was wrong, but can't be overturned by the review. They are acknowledging that it makes no sense to call both goalie interference and tripping on the goalie for the same play, but cannot overturn a penalty call. Therefore, goal call was reversed, penalty call was not reversed.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #60
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
But the goalie was in the crease.
If it was a soccer net lol

Terrible result for the womens game in general...to have a massive underdog get so close and get screwed is just a disaster.

Tags
womens hockey