Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I set this up n my PC. Works great! It makes a folder on your PC where you dump your files, and then they show up online and sync with all our devices....like your Nexus and other Android devices. Love it!
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From what I've read the Nexus was developed to compete with the Kindle Wild Fire and not really the "tablet" market.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

*BUMP*

I'm looking to get a tablet for school this year. I may be able to secure some grant money for it, but if not I'm shelling out of my own pocket so I wouldn't mind keeping the price down. The Samsung Note 8 appeals to me because of the S Pen, which I feel would be advantageous for notetaking. However, I'm also looking at the Nexus 7 and MeMO because of the pricing.

Opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Love the Nexus 7 I have. As far as the pen for a selling feature, for work I have an HP Elitebook with the dual laptop/tablet interface. It has a pen and I use it never. Those things are a huge P.I.T.A. and the notes always look so huge and crappy. It's not even remotely like the speed of jotting down notes on paper.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Love the Nexus 7 I have. As far as the pen for a selling feature, for work I have an HP Elitebook with the dual laptop/tablet interface. It has a pen and I use it never. Those things are a huge P.I.T.A. and the notes always look so huge and crappy. It's not even remotely like the speed of jotting down notes on paper.
From all accounts the pen on the Note is excellent and works very well. Sounds like it's a drastic improvement on other styluses (styli?)
Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
*BUMP*

I'm looking to get a tablet for school this year. I may be able to secure some grant money for it, but if not I'm shelling out of my own pocket so I wouldn't mind keeping the price down. The Samsung Note 8 appeals to me because of the S Pen, which I feel would be advantageous for notetaking. However, I'm also looking at the Nexus 7 and MeMO because of the pricing.

Opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If note taking is the primary use case here I'd be looking for something with an excellent keyboard accessory over an electronic pen.

For my part, the Nexus 7 is the only android tablet I'd seriously consider right now.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, XDA is even split on the subject. Consensus seems to be that N7 is a better device for benchmarks, resolution, etc., while the Note fans rave about screen size and the SPen.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're really intent on using scribbling something out, you'll definitely want to try out the Note 8.0 first.
Also, how were you planning on organizing your notes? I'm not too familiar with attempting to write full notes on something like SNote or Papyrus since they're mostly little scribble pads to me.

On a stylus-less tablet like the Nexus 7 you might be able to get away with it and an Adonit Jot but still kind of iffy.

I had used the Transformer series for more than a year and while it was a great little device with the keyboard/battery, I found myself doing more consumption (movies, apps, games) than creation.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

get one of these!
http://hexus.net/mobile/news/tablets...tration-video/
looks pretty amazing to me
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
If you're really intent on using scribbling something out, you'll definitely want to try out the Note 8.0 first.
Also, how were you planning on organizing your notes? I'm not too familiar with attempting to write full notes on something like SNote or Papyrus since they're mostly little scribble pads to me.

On a stylus-less tablet like the Nexus 7 you might be able to get away with it and an Adonit Jot but still kind of iffy.

I had used the Transformer series for more than a year and while it was a great little device with the keyboard/battery, I found myself doing more consumption (movies, apps, games) than creation.
Yeah I was reading some speculation about N7 getting better support for Adonit down the line.

If I'm honest with myself, I wonder how many notes I'll actually take. I can only think of one class off the top of my head where the SPen would be advantageous over a bluetooth keyboard, but most profs are posting their notes online anyways, and the big thing I'm looking for is a good reader so that I can save space/money on textbooks. So in that sense, the N7 seems way more practical, especially considering the price.

Going to go get my hands on both tonight and see which one I like better.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #31
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely for note/textbook consumption, having that beautiful screen helps.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well F me, playing with them didn't help. N7 definitely has the better screen resolution-wise, but I think I like the size of the Note better. The SPen actually works beautifully. About as close as pen to paper as you can get. Oh well, I don't have to make a decision immediately. Going to sit on it for a day or two.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #33
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

This might be worth checking out: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/31/a..._source=feedly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would consider a Surface RT tablet.

The stylus writing is pretty good, it comes with Office and the cover is a keyboard.

They have been getting a big discount recently, with MS trying to clear them out.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #35
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're comfortable with a higher price, Samsung has an Ativ Tab model with the SPen and potential keyboard dock though I'm not sure which exact one. With OneNote it could be the ultimate note taking tool.

Again with this and the Surface you'll have to deal with the larger tab size.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking what kind of tablet I could get for my wife, who prefers smaller tech generally. The Nexus 7 is looking pretty sweet as a suitable tablet for her. Personally, I find that after buying a Note 2 I never use my tablet anymore as all of the things I like about it are done just as well or better by my phone, but my wife doesn't want a large phone.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #37
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I recommend the Surface RT as well. They just received a big price cut and also the Microsoft Store is selling them with a student discount. Down here in the States, I think after the discounts, they end up being just over $300.

I've had one since just shortly after launch and really like it. I've installed the consumer preview of Windows 8.1 and it has some excellent features, like splitting the screen in any ratio you want. It actually makes watching movies and browsing the web at the same time possible. Overall, the package is just much more slick.

Also, if it's for school, you get the advantage of full office, and the 8.1 release brings Outlook to RT as well. Having Office and not having some pseudo version is a big win for me. It's nice to use it primarily as a consumption device, but be able to also take it as a work device on trips.

I definitely recommend it.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android , fun , not apple , tablet