Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #101
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
The Flames went out of their way to bring an old burn-out Theo back for a few preseason games so he could retire as a Flame...that's a pretty damn nice gesture if you ask me.

Honestly, if Theo learned to keep his opinions to himself a little more, he'd be up in the rafters by now. It's often his own words that keep prevent him form having a warmer relationship with the club.
Fleury's numbers and accomplishments on the ice for the organization should drown out near anything fleury has to say with his mouth.

The organization should show their maturity and rightfully honour the player who was the organization for many years, until the arrival of iginla.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #102
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

All I know is that the day Iginla retires, the next game they should retire his jersey.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #103
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ask Joe if he feels if he is "forever a Flame"? I highly doubt it. Then stop doing it.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #104
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Fleury's numbers and accomplishments on the ice for the organization should drown out near anything fleury has to say with his mouth.

The organization should show their maturity and rightfully honour the player who was the organization for many years, until the arrival of iginla.
I think 14 needs to show some maturity on a more consistent basis until we should expect others to show him maturity.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #105
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me, the criteria for Forever a Flame means, when I think of the player, I think of Calgary. You must have played the most part of your career in a Flames uni, and have some success, being a Cup, or franschise records.

This goes for McDonald, Vernon, Iginla, Kipper. The same goes for Loob, Otto.

The fact that Mullen, Roberts, gilmour played a big chunk of their career elsewhere takes them away in my books.

I dont want 14 raised yet, he needs to show what he´s been trying to do last years, that he has grown up, BUT, the fact that you even consider Nieuwendyk before Theo is ridicuolus. Theo came back (okey, so perhaps nobody else wanted him, but at least he tried!) Joe REFUSED to play here. With that, he basically said, "I´m NOT forever a Flame."
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #106
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
All I know is that the day Iginla retires, the next game they should retire his jersey.
The should just retire it now.

And Monahan's too.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #107
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

They should thank Niewendyk for holding out at a point in his career where Dallas didn't think he was worth trading Todd Harvey for.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #108
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I could really careless about the holdout , Nieuwendyk was a huge part of the Flames only Stanley Cup win and their president trophy teams. He was also good in the cup run too getting 10 goals and timely ones. His number should be honoured.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bootsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #109
Loob/Backlund
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

MacInnis #2 should be retired without a doubt, but I have no problem with Nieuwendyk being honoured as Forever a Flame. I do like Forever a Flame so we can retire Iginla's #12 and still honour Loob's #12
Calgary Flames #1 Joe Mullen #1
Al MacInnis #1 Mike Vernon #1
Theo Fleury #1 Gary Suter #1
Hakan Loob #1 Doug Gilmour #1
Lanny McDonald #1 Joe Nieuwendyk #1
Jarome Iginla #1 Gary Roberts #1
Mikka Kiprusoff #1 Mark Giordano #1
Loob/Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #110
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Guys that I can think of that are Forever Flames to me are guys like Conroy, Peplinski, Otto, Loob etc.

Not big enough stars for jersey retirement but guys that are pretty much defined by their time as Flames
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #111
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I don't think Sutter really even deserves all the credit for building the team either. Many of the players were Button's acquisitions. Sutter deserves more of the coaching accolades than the GM ones, IMO.

Gelinas, Conroy, Yelle, Ference, Donovan, Lydman, Regehr, Iginla, Leopold were all here before Sutter was. Plus, to Button's credit, he hired Sutter as well.

Kiprusoff, Warrener, Niemenen, Simon, and Lowry were good additions as well, but Darryl really didn't "build" the entire team.
Button didn't hire Sutter. Sutter was brought in to replace Button from day one, and that came from above him. They just let the lame duck GM ride out his contract.

Also, your opening sentence is pretty much my point: No single player, not even Kiprusoff or Iginla, would have turned the Flames around on their own. The 03-04 Flames don't make the playoffs without either of those two, however.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #112
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

About time Nieuwendyk is being recognized.

One of the best Flames to ever wear the jersey and a player who always elevated his game in spades during playoffs. The fact that he held out, contract or not, bothers me not in the least...and he never bad mouthed the Flames during that time either.

I look at the man and his accomplishments on the ice as a Flame.

Same with Fleury. Why should he become a mouse and not say a word in order to get the recognition that he deserves? Fleury was the player he was because he played on the edge. That is part and parcel of his character and in actuality, a lot of what he has said about the Flames is the bitter truth.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #113
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I think 14 needs to show some maturity on a more consistent basis until we should expect others to show him maturity.
I think it should be about his on ice achievements not what has happened off the ice
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #114
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loob/Backlund View Post
MacInnis #2 should be retired without a doubt, but I have no problem with Nieuwendyk being honoured as Forever a Flame. I do like Forever a Flame so we can retire Iginla's #12 and still honour Loob's #12
I agree. The Forever a Flame program has its place, but there are some numbers that actually need to be retired.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #115
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I think it should be about his on ice achievements not what has happened off the ice
Nope, his on ice performance is what kept him employed and facilitated his career. But no one in the world in any profession is not impacted but the way they conduct them self and how they treat people.

I for one want the Flames to only honour and continue to associate long term with players that conduct themselves in a way both on and off the ice in a fashion we'd want future Flames to behave. Theo had amazing skill and on ice compete, something that every player should strive for, but his lack of professionalism and off ice behaviour over the years (not talking about his struggles with substance abuse) is not something I want the Flames to associate themselves with on-going.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #116
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
They should thank Niewendyk for holding out at a point in his career where Dallas didn't think he was worth trading Todd Harvey for.
I shudder to think what would have happened to the Flames franchise had the Stars sent Harvey the other way instead of Iginla.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #117
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I shudder to think what would have happened to the Flames franchise had the Stars sent Harvey the other way instead of Iginla.
We would be talking about retiring Harvey's number instead of Iginla's obviously
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #118
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You have unlocked achievement: Forever a Flame
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #119
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Nope, his on ice performance is what kept him employed and facilitated his career. But no one in the world in any profession is not impacted but the way they conduct them self and how they treat people.

I for one want the Flames to only honour and continue to associate long term with players that conduct themselves in a way both on and off the ice in a fashion we'd want future Flames to behave. Theo had amazing skill and on ice compete, something that every player should strive for, but his lack of professionalism and off ice behaviour over the years (not talking about his struggles with substance abuse) is not something I want the Flames to associate themselves with on-going.
A lot of what happens off the ice is also dependent on management structure in place at the time. Management structure sorely lacked during this time frame. It is way too easy to always blame the player.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #120
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
A lot of what happens off the ice is also dependent on management structure in place at the time. Management structure sorely lacked during this time frame. It is way too easy to always blame the player.
While I agree with your statement in principal, in Theo's case it's all on Theo. He's managed to leave a sour taste with almost every organization he's been involved with in his hockey career, it's 100% on him.